1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do to be a freelancer after a bachlor in CS?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by obehi, Sep 12, 2016.

I just finished my bachlor in computer science and I am considering doing freelance programming while I'm traveling. Is this possible at all, and if so, what areas should I study to be more qualified?
    I am wondering if I should learn about web(javascript/css/SQL) or C# to broaden my reach. Or maybe there are some Java frameworks that are needed to get the ball rolling.

My current skills are:
    JAVA
    C
    Phyton

I've also had a part time job in network security, analayzing network traffic.
    Any tips on the subject is appreciated!

obehi, Sep 12, 2016 IP
  2. JeffMichaels

JeffMichaels Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good CS talent is always in demand. Freelance gigs tend to lend themselves better to short-term web dev projects than deeply involved software engineering projects.

If you want to freelance as a web dev, you'll want to be able to show prospective employers a portfolio of your past work and solid references from people who've hired you in the past. They'll want to see that if they bring you on for a short term project that you'll be able to create value for them right away.

JeffMichaels, Sep 12, 2016 IP
  3. DevLt

DevLt Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe as a freelancer it's easier to get work related to the web technologies, especially if you're wordpress developer. But it's always up to you and you have to choose according to your upsides and downsides. I'd recommend you to register on sites like freelancer.com, upwork.com, hiree.com, etc and see whats currently on demand and what you'd like to to...

DevLt, Sep 20, 2016 IP
  4. CuriousMinds

CuriousMinds Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Obehi,

Congratulations on graduating with your Computer Science Bachelors Degree. It's very important that you don't stop learning now that you have graduated from University. You have a huge opportunity to sulk up and learn many skills that will stick with you in the future. This is currently what I am doing personally to benefit me in freelance. I am focusing on Front End Web Development for free with Udemy Courses.
    My personal suggestion would be to check out their courses right here: https://www.udacity.com/nanodegree
    I would heavily tell you to either go into Front End Web Development or Full Stack Development (For more of the backend of website development)
    You don't need to pay a penny on the courses to get started with. I'm not going in-depth because they do a good job explaining which development elements do.

One of my biggest pieces of advices that I could give you right now is focus on learning everything to do with web development because it would be beneficial for when you start getting huge projects on your freelance journey.

I just joined the DigitalPoint for the first time after years of stalking the forums. So if you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

- CuriousMinds

CuriousMinds, Sep 20, 2016 IP
    Maria Watson likes this.
  5. Maria Watson

Maria Watson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with the last post its really import not to stop your learning process. I think you have enough knowledge and set of skills to start as a freelancer. You should consider to learn a bit of graphic designing as well it will help you in your web designing and development projects.

Maria Watson, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  6. kenbrace

kenbrace Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you're going to work as a freelancer then web design is probably the way to go.

PHP is still a popular language (I'm in love with it) but .NET and Django are becoming very popular and the demand for skilled developers is high. So I'd probably chose either .NET with C# or Django with Python and then learn that skill through and through. Build at least a handful of projects and create an online portfolio. Go to networking events and cold call companies. It will be slow at first, but you'll find business. If you treat clients well then they'll score you more clients via word of mouth and before you know it, you'll have all the business you can handle. The key is quality work, good customer relations, and patience.

Anyway, the best of luck! :cool:

kenbrace, Oct 10, 2016 IP
  7. Eliminate Code Fear

Eliminate Code Fear Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You want to build some products to get experience before you go out and pursue freelancing. My recommendation is to complete the Java and Database projects at eliminatecodefear.com to add to your portfolio. Perhaps complete the automated trading application or the web-scraping application projects.

Eliminate Code Fear, Oct 12, 2016 IP
  8. emailmbooster

emailmbooster Member

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is try to apply for a job at a big company. You'll learn a lot of your co-workers and experience developers.

After 2 or 3 years when you have enough technical skill, design skill.... it's easy for you to work as a free lancer.

emailmbooster, Oct 31, 2016 IP
  9. jusarg

jusarg Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are ready to settle down then start sending out your resume to all the head hunters (they will get your foot in the door of the big names).
    If you are not sure then get your feet wet with any paying 'Junior Developer' job. You will learn A LOT from simply seeing how an established team (big or small) works.
    If you do not want to settle down then I would recommend developing and selling your own software.

Good Luck

jusarg, Oct 31, 2016 IP