1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Allow users to Edit posts in their own thread

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by wco, Oct 24, 2016.

Why doesn't DP forums have the feature available for users to edit or delete other posts they make in their own thread (Other than first post)? Especially in the scenario where it's regarding work-samples that are over a year old, are a distraction, and the user wishes for them to be removed. Aren't thread re-posts not allowed? Even if they were, what content writer or seller in their right mind would want to lose all the feedback posts they received on their thread? Some might also agree that the more "Views" your selling/buying thread has accumulated overtime the more 'appeal' it has to prospective clients.

*I tried having this done through a moderator directly, but they refused. I even asked if I could "report" the posts I specifically wanted deleted but was told that could also not be done "unless the post violates forum rules". Is it as if DP answers to some some sort of auditing agency and therefore must save and any all posts to the best of it's ability? Wouldn't allowing users to do this, if anything, free up space and unwanted variables throughout our forums?

wco, Oct 24, 2016 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I believe this would be a mistake and would be abused. Members who didn't like fair criticism would delete offending posts. Thereby masking any scamming or under handed tactics the OP might be using.
    The total (almost total) freedom of speech allowed on these threads prevents censorship by self serving OP's, that may want to move the topic to their advantage while denying the truth. Critical posts by other members than the OP, allow other members to be able to judge on it's own merit what the OP has written about, is selling or promoting.

On a side note you would end up with a boring, sanitized lifeless site with no personality. Personality might be annoying to some, but keeps the site evolving and alive.;)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 24, 2016 IP
    Arick unirow and wordplucker like this.
  3. wco

wco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My only rebuttal would be for the staff moderator or admin to take the time necessary to review the nature of the requested 'delete post', and determine whether or not it would be allowed. In this case, I cannot find beyond any reasonable doubt why a user would be prevented from requesting or having this agreeably 'writing sample' (almost a year old) pruned from this thread to maximize my ability to market myself while using our forums in a fair, efficient, and practical way.

Counter argument - @digitalpoint When I am still using this site in 2018, are you telling me that prospective clients that come to my thread will still be forced to read writing-samples from three years ago, and that these are the first few posts they will be forced to read? They are outdated, and quite frankly no longer reflect my technique, quality, or reasoning behind the ways in which I develop content - in this case articles.

It is unfair and unrealistic to assume that all prospective clients will be willing to scroll all the way down past those writing samples (3 years later) - or worse - automatically judge and determine if they wish to hire me based on that without going all the way down the page - or next page(s) - to read both recent reviews and writing samples. Thoughts?

wco, Oct 24, 2016 IP
  4. wordplucker

wordplucker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If clients 18 months from now can not tell that they are old posts then perhaps they would be too stupid to be your clients....

Perhaps putting new and improved samples in there might be an idea....

Or, link to the posts that you want them to see over the entire thread.

Many options over throwing the unfair ball like some wanna be US presidential whiny one.

Or just accept that DP is rigged against you

wordplucker, Oct 24, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  5. wco

wco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a question of whether or not a client has the intellectual capacity to comprehend time-stamps, but rather whether or not they have the patience to scroll all the way down, and what type of impression - good or bad - the first few posts - no matter how many years old - will give prospective clients. But, judging by the tone of your post I can see why you felt helpless to drive in any other logical, or relevant points or explanations as to why this could be a challenge from a self-marketing perspective.

Your second recommendation comes nowhere near addressing the issue, concern, and feedback I have expressed here. It is, for anyone that is, or aspires to be successful in this field, all about first impressions as well as presentation. I can tell by your insults and negative tone that you really don't have anything practical or helpful to contribute to this thread, but thank you for nothing and ramping your post-count up.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    wco, Oct 24, 2016 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Keeping the history intact can be good. As suggested, why not just edit the main post (the starting post), explaining that this is an old post, but that you have improved, and even include a copy of the new and improved writing directly in the post? Or, if need be, just include links to the comment you want them to read. That way, they can both read the "new and improved" and see how far you've come.

Deleting posts should not be done. Period. Simple as that. I am actually pretty much against deleting stuff online alltogether, since it breaks linking and leads to problems. Same for blogs and other social arenas online, since it's frickin' annoying when links go bad. Not that that is that important in this exact case, but the principle applies.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 24, 2016 IP
    wco likes this.
  7. wordplucker

wordplucker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have asked for a post to be deleted here once, not too long ago. I open threads in to tabs, and I did goof and make a reply to one thread in the wrong tab. As I did not have anything to contribute to the message that I did reply too, considering it was my own sales post, I did ask for it to be deleted. Since it would not muck up the works on posts that followed it was not that big of a deal.

You are asking for the powers on high to mess with the database, which you may not realize, is a holy grail for forums. If you have never broken a DB then you do not know the fun involved. Every time a post gets deleted it creates a hole, you poke enough holes in something, as often as people would want to get posts deleted, and it will turn out badly.
    I am not sure if a UBB that uses a flat file system would be any better.

Oh, I am a post whore now, lol, well, maybe I can find a mod to pimp me out....

I did nicely say, learn to deal with it, what you are asking is silly, and your 'unfair' remark made you sound whiny. Now, if you read the above you may realize that poking holes in our canoe of DP is not appreciated, and with that 'unfair' remark hanging I maintain my opinion on whiny-ness.

BTW, I make a lousy post whore, my fingers get tired, so any mod wanting to pimp me out, be forewarned....

wordplucker, Oct 24, 2016 IP