1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adding the year in the URL?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Ray Radicanin, Oct 6, 2016.

Hey all,

I think I made a big SEO mistake ...

I've made a guide on how to create a blog and called the URL something like '/blog/beginner-guide-2016/.

Now, since 2016 is getting closer to an end, I want ton change the URL to either 2017 or remove it completely. When creating this link, I wasn't thinking properly.

I've read that changing URLs can drop your traffic significantly ... does anyone have solutions to this?

Is it actually a good idea to add years in the url? If yes, how to edit it properly to avoid losing traffic? If no, how to remove it the best way?

Thanks for all of your help!

Ray

Ray Radicanin, Oct 6, 2016 IP
  2. Md. Faruk Khan

Md. Faruk Khan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Ray, actually adding year in the url is not a good idea anymore. Because when you passed the year this post don't get traffic for this ugly urls.
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/can-give-clear-idea-about-url-link-structure.2787851/#post-19381738

Now you should remove the year in your url. But for this you need to redirect the old url into the new url. It's called 301 permanent redirection.

For, wordpress site, you can use Pretty Link Lite plugin for this task. It's a free plugins.

[​IMG]

After changing your URL, do the same.

One more thing you should do, Go to the Google webmaster tools (Search Console) and go to inside your website property.

Click on Crawl >> Fetch as Google

Then add your new link and click on Fetch, after that click on Index.

[​IMG]

Then Google visit your site and index it again. and all of your visitor who click the old links redirected to the new one.

Thanks.

Md. Faruk Khan, Oct 7, 2016 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Just drop the year in the permalink. Wordpress will automatically redirect the old URL to the new URL.

dcristo, Oct 8, 2016 IP
  4. Ray Radicanin

Ray Radicanin Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Faruk,

Thank you for the explanation. As dcristo (user's answer below) said, that it redirects automatically, he is right.

Before changing the URL, I had my post on my FB fanpage and after changing the URL (jus removing the year) and I clicked on the old link on my FB fanpage, it redirected me directly to the post.

Do I still have to do your method? I use pretty link myself so it shouldn't be a problem - just want to know for the future.

Thanks!

Ray Radicanin, Oct 8, 2016 IP
  5. Md. Faruk Khan

Md. Faruk Khan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think, if it redirect automatically then fine but Pretty link is a good one to redirect 301.

But Fetch as Google is must. Because you need to inform Google that you modified the old url.

Thanks .

Md. Faruk Khan, Oct 8, 2016 IP