1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best text editor for web development?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Rare Pepe, Aug 4, 2016.

1. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    While I don't know HTML Pad, I have my doubts since you say that Dreanweaver is good. First of, the preview in Dreanweaver is completely useless, and the code Dreanweaver produces unless you do everything manually via the code view is crap. If the only reason Dreanweaver is good is the preview function, you get the exact same function (only better) by installing the actual browsers and hitting F5.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 20, 2016 IP
  2. asiandjinn

asiandjinn Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    dreamweaver is at top if you search in google.it is in top because of its functionality.it support almost all programming language.live preview is not good but it is still in top 5 code editor..html pad is designed by
    Blumentals you can search on google.

asiandjinn, Aug 21, 2016 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And? Search for WHAT on Google? Even if DreamWeaver is on top, that doesn't show that it's good. It just shows that it's popular and being used by newbs who doesn't know better - and/or that Adobe is a huge ass company and that means it will be popular. It doesn't HAVE any functionality you can't get anywhere else, and it cost money on top of that - so why the hell would anyone use it? It promotes bad coding practices, its built-in code-completion and DW-specific codes are completely, utterly useless, and again, the preview-functionality doesn't provide accurate depictions of how it will actually look in different browsers.

It has NO redeeming features WHATSOEVER - so again... what exactly am I supposed to search for in Google to have it show up on top?
    Because, if I search for either of these:
    best editor
    best html editor
    best text editor
    best code editor
    code editor windows

and a few more... DreamWeaver isn't "on top" - it's not even on the first _page_

PoPSiCLe, Aug 21, 2016 IP
  4. asiandjinn

asiandjinn Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    if you read clearly my post i explained it.i write down that it is in top 5 list.i do not know why you do not like it but here in my country it is used by experts and also newbies.you can search anything which you want in google eg best code editor,top 10 code editor.i am not supporting dreamweaver.so if you think it is not good then it is your thinking and i think it is good this is just a reply of the post and there is no issue if some think a text editor is not good.we are not selling any thing here.if you think text editor you use is best then use it.if you look at some online course sites which are at top there are lot of tuts about dreamweaver which explain its features.

asiandjinn, Aug 22, 2016 IP
  5. ThemeBracket

ThemeBracket Banned

Best Answers:
    There are so many good ones these days, but I prefer to use Notepad++ as I have all my code snippets saved and it has a bunch of plugins so you can basically do anything with it. Plus, it's incredibly fast.

However, sometimes I will start a new project in Visual Studio Code (free) or Atom. I used to use Brackets and think it's a good program, I just don't use it anymore since three text editors is enough.

ThemeBracket, Aug 22, 2016 IP
  6. ThemeBracket

ThemeBracket Banned

Best Answers:
    Also, I just wanted to add that I know a few developers who use Dreamweaver due to company policy, and they still manage to produce awesome sites with clean code. When people who don't know what they're doing use Dreamweaver it's a disaster, but this is not the program's fault, is it?

ThemeBracket, Aug 22, 2016 IP
  7. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed about company policy sometimes driving DW's use. That's a clear example of empty suits making policy decisions for which they are not qualified. In support of said empty suits, perhaps they believe they are reducing costs by using DW so they can hire know-nothings at minimum wages to push out web pages.

Is it the program's fault? If someone doesn't know what they're doing, why are they using the application? Who made the decision to put Homer Simpson on the control panel?

Of course, my thinking is if there were fewer apps that made it easy for know-nothings to turn out crap, there would be less crap. In that view, yes, it is the program's fault.

Can an expert web developer make clean pages with DW? Maybe, but why would they? If they really are good, they will select their own editing environment, one that enhances productivity and doesn't cost a young fortune. See my post above. Maybe DW in do-not-try-to-help mode can provide some of what a proper text editor does, but since I have never seen any evidence of this, I doubt it. Prove me wrong if you have examples.

gary

note: Several examples of fat finger syndrome fixed one at a time over multiple edits. ~g

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    kk5st, Aug 22, 2016 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  8. Emma Clark

Emma Clark Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Here is the list of text editor for we development:
    1) Notepad ++
    2) Atom
    3) Sublime text
    4) Komodo Edit
    5) Buffer editor
    6) Emacs
    7)Buffer editor
    try these and choose which suits you the best

Emma Clark, Aug 23, 2016 IP
  9. ZenithP

ZenithP Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why don't you try Net Beans

ZenithP, Sep 13, 2016 IP
  10. JeffMichaels

JeffMichaels Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Notepad++ is what I use. Can't beat it.

I just turn off those features -- not necessary in the slightest.

JeffMichaels, Sep 13, 2016 IP
  11. flaviobejko

flaviobejko Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer to use Atom ,also Brackets and Sublime are ok.

flaviobejko, Sep 14, 2016 IP
  12. lavanias

lavanias Member

Best Answers:
    Atom, Adobe Brackets and notepad ++

lavanias, Sep 23, 2016 IP
  13. Mohd Shibli

Mohd Shibli Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Go for visual studio code, it is the best code editor right now.

Mohd Shibli, Sep 26, 2016 IP
  14. kowsur777

kowsur777 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Brackets is highly recommended.

kowsur777, Sep 26, 2016 IP
  15. DarioPV

DarioPV Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Brackets worked great for me. Admittedly I did only work with HTML and CSS. PSD template integration, live preview, bunch of plug-ins. So in my experience great for design, not sure how it acts when you use it for backend development.

DarioPV, Sep 27, 2016 IP
    kk5st likes this.
  16. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sz who and for what reasons? Your comment has NULL value.

By whom and for what reasons? Another NULL value comment.
    Ah, a comment with value added. Thank you. Though, IMV PSD templates are of negative value. See almost any of @deathshadow's posts regarding 'photoshop jockeys'. Live preview is of no value, since you should test in real browsers including plain text and audio screen readers (Orca and Emacspeak readers are available free).

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Sep 27, 2016 IP
  17. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Then you're probably not qualified to flap your gums about HTML or CSS development. It is a laundry list of how NOT to build a website that is little more than nube-predating scam artist BULLSHIT. That it continues to even have it's advocates is simply a testament to stupidity and the fact that some people still think they can make a buck putting the saddle on others and taking them for a ride.

Then I suspect we hast a differing defintion of the word "expert" -- since to be frank anyone DUMB ENOUGH to be wasting time dicking around in Dreamweaver likely --- like the ignorant artists under the DELUSION that they are designers spanking it on their tablet in Photoshop -- do not know enough about HTML, CSS, JavaScript, emissive colourspace, accessibility, usability, sustainability or any of the dozens of other bits of required knowledge to build a site properly.

Gary really hit it on the head:

Aka the types of dimwits who failed upwards into middle management or higher, who think they can get sound technical advice from the pages of Forbes -- which as I always say is akin to getting financial advice from the pages of Popular Electronics.

Anyone who advocates the use of Dreamweaver -- or indeed many other tools like frontpage, web expression, visual studio, etc -- is either talking out their arse or trying to rip people off.

deathshadow, Sep 27, 2016 IP
  18. ClarkKent

ClarkKent Peon

Best Answers:
    what about KompoZer by Mozilla

ClarkKent, Sep 29, 2016 IP
  19. callpri

callpri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My choice is Codelobster.
    It is free and works best for many popular PHP and JS frameworks.

callpri, Sep 29, 2016 IP