1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much would you charge for a simple android app?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by ablaz, Sep 22, 2016.

I'm wondering what is the normal price range to develop a simple andorid app for an European customer?
    The app needs to be only a list of few offline texts.
    I'm an amateur android developer and now been asked for a quote but have no idea about the reasonable price for such app, so appreciate your hints.

Solved! View solution.
    ablaz, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If you do it using Buzztouch you should be able to do it in a few hours.
    However if you're new to the process the whole codesigning thing and setup can take much longer than the app itself so you need to work out if you'll be doing more of that kind of work (and therefore you absorb the cost of setup, self-learning) or if it's a one off (the client pays for everything).

sarahk, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  3. ablaz

ablaz Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm amanteur but last time I made a very similar app on Android Studio.
    Now I have to just re-do the same app with minor changes. So I'm confident that it can be done pretty quickly.
    My question is what is the 'reasonable' price for such app in the market?

ablaz, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Oh, so you're wanting to sell it in the store
    I thought you were wanting to work out the cost of your services

without knowing the content and the value a user would derive from it I doubt anyone can help.

sarahk, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  5. ablaz

ablaz Member

Best Answers:
    No I'm not going to sell the app in any store.
    I'm making it for a particular client, who will then put it on play store for free.

ablaz, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So you need to work out the time you think you'll spend, multiply it by your hourly rate and hey presto! there's your quote. If the client thinks it's too high they can negotiate or go elsewhere

sarahk, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  7. ablaz

ablaz Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your utterly useless suggestion.
    I think the OP is clear for anyone with a tiny brain:
    What is the normal price range to develop a simple andorid app?
    The question is not about ME, it's about the Market.
    If you cannot understand the question or don't know the answer, better to stay away and not to wast other people's time with crappy comments.

ablaz, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Aren't you just the charmer!

A list of a few "offline texts" doesn't mention styling or any of the little details I'd want to talk to a client about.
    • Clients know that if they use me for work I'll charge more and in return they get certain benefits from using a local service with someone who already knows their business and who they trust.
      Clients also know that they can hire people in India etc and get the same product way, way more cheaply but that it will come with some responsibilities for the client regarding testing, communication that they won't have with me
    • Clients know my rate is a bit lower because I only work part time
      Clients also know they will pay a premium for a fast turn around time
    • Clients know I work from home so my overheads are lower and they expect my charge rate to reflect that
      and therefore they know that if they go with a "big firm" they'll have to pay more
    From your very brief first post in this thread I reckon I could knock the app out in an hour. Is your client used to paying top dollar for services? Or are they the screw-you-to-the-wall type? because the market rate for the same app will differ depending on the client.

sarahk, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  9. ablaz

ablaz Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough. My client is a non-techi European NGO and I guess they have not much clues of the app dev market. Nor do I.
    They are not poor and I don't want to abuse them. So how much would you charge them for an unfancy barebone app?

ablaz, Sep 22, 2016 IP
    I don't do apps, but I can tell you how this would go down in other settings:
    Client approaches me, wants something.
    I consider their request, find that I can do what they want, and I figure out a timeframe to get it done.
    That timeframe is "best case" - which is not what I tell the client.
    What I tell the client is "best case" + 25 to 50 %. That way, I get a nice profit if I finish within the timeframe I envision, or I have built in a buffer for more work, things I haven't thought of, or just plain bad luck, sickdays etc.
    Depending on what the job is, and how well I know the work needed, I might make that buffer smaller or bigger, depending.

As for app-developing, you say "European client" - that doesn't mean anything when it comes to suggesting price. If I have a client in Poland, that client will expect a completely different offer than a client in my own country, Norway. So, first of all what you need to do, is find out what kind of European country (or, if it's multiple, if they're all part of the EU, or all outside, etc.) it is, and what the cost-level is in that country. Is it low, medium or high?

After that is done, you can make an educated guess.

As an example, here in Norway, a simple app, without database-backend, not connected to a web's backend or similiar, will go for about 5000 to 10000 NOK, depending on how advanced it is, how stylish, etc. A more complex app will go for 20000 to 30000, and so on upwards, depending on what it's supposed to do, what the customer wants, who the customer is, and so on.

We're a high-cost country, this is normal. However, if you code for someone in, say Britain, the prices could probably be reduced quite a bit. If you're talking low-cost countries like Eastern Europe, you can more than half that cost.

I'd say that for an app like the one you describe, which won't involve much work from you to change the one you already have, I'd quote somewhere between $300 and $500 if you really want the job - if you know the client has money, and want to use you for the development, up that quote a couple 100 bucks. Again, if the client is in a medium to high-cost European country.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 22, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  11. ablaz

ablaz Member

Best Answers:
    @PoPSiCLe
    Very informative post. Thanks a lot mate.

ablaz, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  12. mkkhatri

mkkhatri Member

Best Answers:
    It will very because if you require static or dynamic app than it will be different.

mkkhatri, Mar 31, 2017 IP
  13. nspl_forum_user

nspl_forum_user Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Really depends on the type of functionality you are looking for.

1. Basic informative app with a couple of non transactional forms like contact page etc.
    2. Data collection app with not too much business logic
    3. API Integrations
    4. Quantum of business logic to be coded.

All these factors will up the price in the exact sequence.

nspl_forum_user, Jul 26, 2017 IP
  14. firas_abb

firas_abb Peon

Best Answers:
    What is your rate per hour?
    you should find yourself a reasonable rate depending on your country and your area, then you should contemplate how many hours would it take, developing the app, and depending on that you can give the customer an initial price. After finishing the work, you count how many hours it took working on it and give him the exact price.

firas_abb, Nov 12, 2017 IP
  15. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What is the normal price range to do a simple repair on my car?
    What is the normal price range to do a simple update to my house?
    What is the normal salary range for a simple job?

It's such a stupid question to ask. You wouldn't know what is considered simple to develop since you aren't smart enough to develop it. And what is considered simple to you may not be simple to another person. Also you can have a "simple" app that takes a long time to develop depending on the app.... You need to be a little more detailed if you expect someone to give you an intelligent answer.

Changing the oil in your car is simple.... Changing your brakes is also simple.... When you become smart enough to pass a driving test or move to an area where automobiles are considered normal transportation (and not just for kings) you will learn that a brake job is more expensive.

If you are an amateur android developer (you aren't) you should know how long it would take you to develop a "simple" app that you know all the specs of.... You shouldn't be posting on an online forum asking such simple questions...

NetStar, Nov 17, 2017 IP