1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Contest $90 Website design PSD 7-day contest

Discussion in 'Design Contests' started by CafaMagician80, Aug 24, 2016.

My website is in need of a modern design with a clear identity.

The most important part here is to come up with a color palette that works for all areas of the site:
    1. main page
    2. league page
    3. match page
    4. club page
    5. player page

You are expected to resolve this design challenge and make the colors and design consistent across all five pages, modern, engaging, easy to read and navigate. It's up to you to decide which color would be the main one for the website. I have used #007AFF so far but that's not necessarily the best choice. You should choose the fonts, too.

For inspiration, visit various bookmaker sites as they had the same problem of having lots of data in tables, and each used a different approach to this. Some of them look really modern and that's what I'm after. There are also other odds comparison sites. Have a look and see what they're doing right and doing wrong.

You are not supposed to design the top bar (logo and dates) but should design everything below it.

I need the PSD for each of the five areas of the site. I also need a PSD for anything that will have a different design on hover.

Hopefully someone can help me out with this, and provide a clean and engaging design that's consistent and works well for the website visitors. If you know what you're doing it should be a breeze.

Submissions are to be posted here in this thread only. No PMs. I'm accepting applications for 7 days (ending Wednesday 31 Aug midnight CET). Will give feedback here. $90 to the winner payable immediately by PayPal.

Looking forward to your ideas and submissions!

CafaMagician80, Aug 24, 2016 IP
  2. katesrobyn

katesrobyn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    5 pages for $90?

katesrobyn, Aug 24, 2016 IP
  3. CafaMagician80

CafaMagician80 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    The design doesn't involve any challenging graphical work. It's about choosing colors, fonts, and making shapes and areas for the modules. Basically it's about designing a nice table.

People can submit 1 page only, and then only if I like the design I'll invite you to submit the other four. Prices can be negotiated a bit but I do need to see what I'm getting for my money.

Looking forward to submissions.

CafaMagician80, Aug 24, 2016 IP
  4. grimmj5

grimmj5 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I will post my entry soon. Started working on it. Thanks

grimmj5, Aug 24, 2016 IP
  5. outwork69

outwork69 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi. I have created a part of the main page. Please review it and I will create tables for the next few pages. Thank you.

[​IMG]

outwork69, Aug 28, 2016 IP
  6. CafaMagician80

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thank you for your submission.

While I like the overall idea and the look of the tables, the colors just don't work for this design. White/gray on gray is not a fortunate solution, and my #007aff blue doesn't work here either. Because of the poor choice of colors this design isn't easily navigable. UX is key here, the customer must be able to scan this huge range of data quickly and efficiently. I feel a darker header for modules/tables could possibly do the trick. But I'm no expert, I'm just saying gray on gray is no good.

So I invite you to either redo this design or make a totally different submission. Thanks.

CafaMagician80, Aug 29, 2016 IP
  7. outwork69

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi. Thank you for your reply. Please check the following variants and let me know if you like any of them. Thanks. (Click on the images for full resolution).

Variant 1
    [​IMG]

Variant 2
    [​IMG]

Variant 3
    [​IMG]

outwork69, Aug 29, 2016 IP
  8. CafaMagician80

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    This just leads to the same coloring problem I had to begin with.

Do you have other design ideas?

9. outwork69

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Can you show me a table which one can be "scanned quickly and efficiently", please? In theory everything can look fine and easy, but in reality the results can vary. If you can show me something which you love, I can come up with a working solution to your problem. I have 8+ years experince with clients and example designs can cut the design time to the half and can save from a lots of headache on both sides.

10. CafaMagician80

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Will look for some examples I like and will add them here so everyone can see.

11. CafaMagician80

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I'm reluctant to link to any designs as I'd end up getting a very similar design to them. I can only say I like the overall cleanliness of http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liverpool/startseite/verein/31

But don't take that design literally. My own website is the still best template for this job. That design is unique and I've achieved good website structure with placement of items on the site. That alone is what this design is all about. Where I got stuck is the design of tables and the choice of colors.

The design of different items needs to be consistent. The headlines need to be noticeable and they need to serve as anchor points for the design. Hover must be attractive enough to provoke a click, yet not so intrusive to interfere with regular browsing.

The part of my site I like the most are those "BEST ODDS" modules on the right as they have a nice dark header and white Open Sans Condensed. I even like the hover. But the design of these modules might well be causing the whole problem, as that design can' be applied to other areas of the site.

The real challenge here is to find a module design (a table design) that can be consistent across all areas of the site - modules on the right, navigation menu on the right, navigation menu on the left, matches list, players list, player page, league table. Or to have two similar versions of the same thing, e.g. on Transfermarkt they have one light version and one dark version of the module header.

It just needs to look clean and needs to be consistent. Maybe we should eliminate all coloring and go for a white boxey design where font would be used to emphasize the headers. I don't know. But I generally prefer a lighter whiter design.

The above was close, except that I prefer boxey tables as opposed to rounded ones. And the headers were not noticeable - that effect can be achieved by using color of by using a noticeable font. Or both, depending on the area of the site. Maybe the design shouldn't have any color except on hover - I don't know. Or maybe only one color could be used for the purpose of branding. Less is better in this case.

As soon as someone finds a table design that can be applied to various areas of the site, that's 50% of work done.

"Clean design that works" would be the shortest way to describe this. We probably shouldn't be using strong colors - that's where I went wrong.

12. outwork69

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thank you for your amazing description. Do you like any of them? Lets decide about the table design first and after that I will move to the other elements of the page.

[​IMG]

13. CafaMagician80

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    While it's a bit of an improvement, especially #3 as you removed the vertical lines in rows and that really looks good, the headers are not good and I don't like the font either.

I feel you'll run into problems with any of these designs when you apply the same design to other areas of the site. So I would like you to try and come up with a total design for this page as it involves most of the different elements I have on the site. Forget everything I said, just try to design that one page according to what you feel is good UX and good design. Change rows on hover - that's key to this design.

If I like it we will proceed and if not, I will give you a small compensation for your time.

CafaMagician80, Aug 30, 2016 IP
  14. CafaMagician80

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Meanwhile, there's still time for someone else to apply as the deadline for submitting your first application is 31 August at midnight CET. 38 hours from now.

So I invite everyone to have a look at this page and submit a design for it if you see what does that page need. I'm open to ideas - mine aren't good.

CafaMagician80, Aug 30, 2016 IP