1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I feel a fit of deathshadow coming onto me

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by sarahk, Aug 24, 2016.

I have a meeting tomorrow with a company about a website they've produced and changes that need to be made to it.

On the face of it they've done an ok job but
    • they can't allow multiple admins/editors to the site
    • they can't get their heads around defeating duplicate content problems
    • the site is responsive but in a bad way, they've chosen one version of the site to look good and the rest of the site just has to tag along
    • the gallery can't have sections - they'd have to install another copy of it
    • they have a sitewide link to their site
    So we made the mistake of looking at the designer's site
    • it has meteors and planets floating by!
    • it has controls for the flying things and some of them even work!
      upload_2016-8-25_18-7-6.png
    • it's optimised for chrome!
      upload_2016-8-25_18-8-25.png
    • and there's a dinky message if you view the site on your phone telling you that the site is even better if viewed on a computer

sarahk, Aug 24, 2016 IP
  2. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Better you than me. There are reasons I call my status retirement. One is sites like you describe. Causes a frisson of relief to know it's not mine to fix. AS Jason will likely suggest, throw it out and start over; it'll be a faster and easier solution.

Re the soi-disant designer: He/she/it is obviously channeling the game, Asteroids from ~30 some odd years ago. :grin:

gary

kk5st, Aug 25, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Why does every woman think I'm coming on to them?!? Oh wait, that's not what you meant... :p

Laugh is, I think I know which dirtbag it was that saddled them up -- the real fight for you is going to be getting them to admit they were taken for a ride by someone who was all flash, and no substance.

Sadly, most clients are VERY reluctant to admit they made a mistake, and will typically dig in their heels no matter how badly their poor choices are shtupping them. They often get their hearts so set on the artsy fartsy garbage they can't see past that for the "Go *** yourself" the resulting site actually is to users.

Their former "designer" leading them down the garden path to failure being as much to blame as their ignorance. So many times I've had clients go "But the other guy said..." right... then you're talking to ME why exactly?!? If you're so sure they were right, why are you talking to me and not them?

As I told a former employer the day I quit... "If you're not going to listen to my advice, overrule me on stuff you don't know, that by admission you hired me to handle for you... why the **** did you hire me in the first damned place?!? You think you can do better, you ****ing do it!"

Of course, I said it loud enough I got a standing ovation on my way out the door.

They were out of business in three months, two weeks before shuttering the doors the owner showed up on my doorstep hat in hand; I slammed the door in his face. Some hassles just aren't worth money.

deathshadow, Aug 25, 2016 IP
    mmerlinn and sarahk like this.
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thread title of the year.

dcristo, Aug 25, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    The title killed me and made me come and have a look.
    Curious to know who was it in New Zealand.

Mehdi.b, Aug 28, 2016 IP