1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[Help] Changing link structure

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by webtutophp, Aug 21, 2016.

Hi everyone ...

My link structure is : http://VVVVV.com/BBB/CCC/DDD/

I want it to change it to : http://VVVVV.com/BBB-CCC-DDD

would that hurt my google ranking ?

thanks

webtutophp, Aug 21, 2016 IP
  2. Furquan Ahmed

Furquan Ahmed Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, its hurt your ranking lot , I don't suggests you to do so.

Furquan Ahmed, Aug 21, 2016 IP
  3. webtutophp

webtutophp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    so im stuck with it forever ?

webtutophp, Aug 21, 2016 IP
  4. Furquan Ahmed

Furquan Ahmed Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, you can change this but with proper 301 (Moved Permanently) but it's take lots of work & I don't think there is any issue with SEO when your URL structure bb/cc/dd, as I have found most of site use / this URL structure.

Furquan Ahmed, Aug 21, 2016 IP
  5. Paresh Shrimali

Paresh Shrimali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi.. @webtutophp ,
    If you are using any CMS platform then you are change it easily.
    Suppose you are using Magento platform then you are custimize to view Directory structure as well as breadcrumb and display URLs from Magento Admin Panel.

Paresh Shrimali, Aug 21, 2016 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You can 301 redirect the old URLs to the new URLs.

dcristo, Aug 21, 2016 IP
  7. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's the point of changing to this site structure? The first one is much better... Otherwise you should work with your .htaccess file :)

patco, Aug 22, 2016 IP
  8. webtutophp

webtutophp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No im not using a CMS, i coded it myself and i reaaaally have to change links structure

Thanks

The point of his change is for google, because it gives me alot of Errors in the google webmaster , because there is nothing in http://VVVVV.com/BBB and google bot goes there and find nothing and declare it as a error even if i did put a 404 page , so i really need to change links structure

webtutophp, Aug 22, 2016 IP
  9. webtutophp

webtutophp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It gives me alot of Errors in the google webmaster , because there is nothing in http://VVVVV.com/BBB and google bot goes there and find nothing and declare it as a error even if i did put a 404 page , so i really need to change links structure

webtutophp, Aug 22, 2016 IP
  10. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    KylieSweet, Aug 22, 2016 IP
  11. webtutophp

webtutophp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @KylieSweet I understand that but my problem is that google bot enters to the link http://VVVVV.com/BBB/ which has Nothing, since its onl HTACCESS , and gives me lot of errors in google webmaster , that is why i want to change it to http://VVVVV.com/BBB-CCC-DDD , but i want to know if it is gonna hurt the website and what to do to make it not hurting the website , thanks

webtutophp, Aug 23, 2016 IP
  12. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No, It would not hurt your Google Ranking. In fact, It may increase the rank of your site.
    Please note this answer is based on my experience.

First, most Search Engine (including Google) would not lower your ranking if you change the structure of your link. It would lower your rank if:
    1. The redirect link is not working as expected (wrong header information, new link accesible via two or more ways without canonical)
    2. The new link has lower value than old link
    By saying lower value, I describe it as:
    1. New link has less valuable content (including Heading, html codes and structure of the information)
    2. New Link has lower performance (in term of page speed, response time, etc)
    3. New link didn't fully describe the content (pay attention to permalink)
    4. Webmaster change the link quite often
    So, if you would like to change the old link to the new link, this is what you need to do:
    1. Create proper redirection link (301 is more than enough)
    2. Give better name for your newly created link.
      Instead of writing the link as "/apple/white/apple-notebook-with-white-color/" you should rewrite it to "/white-apple-notebook/". Better link will improve visibility. Both human visitor and bots appreciate clean and meaningful URL.
    3. Adding more valuable information in your newly created link will make it gain more exposure.
      Don't just focus on the link. Focus on the content of that link. Add nice title and give clear description. If it is possible, re-check the structure of your article and add more useful information.

I have bought few sites in the past and always changed the permalink. The newly created link usually has better rank than the old link.

Changing permalink is not that hard. What really hard is telling both Visitor and Search Engine if the link has better value. If you would like to change the link, you should also improve Load Speed (faster page load) and adding more valuable information.

Last, all information written in this post is based my own experience. While it work for me, it may not work for the others.

Arick

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Arick unirow, Aug 23, 2016 IP
    Paresh Shrimali likes this.
  13. webtutophp

webtutophp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @Arick unirow thank you very much for the answer , I want to change links but the content will be the same , i want to change it because google bot go to the folders and find nothing and gives error in google webmaster, so i think the new structure is better

so i need to do a 301 redirection and everything will be okey

webtutophp, Aug 23, 2016 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.