1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best text editor for web development?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Rare Pepe, Aug 4, 2016.

I am looking for a good text editor which has auto-completion for web languages (javascript, php, node.js etc.)

While NotePad++ seems like a good solution, its auto-completion is a bit....abnormal and autocompletes only variables/text which has been written earlier, which is nice, but not what I need.

Thanks!

Rare Pepe, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  2. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is stop using those fancy text editor. You should familiarize yourself with the code.

Any text editors work for me. I host my files on the could and I can write code even when I was riding a train.

ketting00, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  3. Rare Pepe

Rare Pepe Peon

Best Answers:
    Those fancy text editors tend to increase productivity.

Rare Pepe, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  4. Gerhard Homveld

Gerhard Homveld Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    I've been using Brackets since its launch. It's the most awesome coder I've worked with, plus lots of plugins to make coding faster.

Gerhard Homveld, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    How does autocomplete increase productivity? Only thing I like about the thing like autocomplete in Sublime is that it adds ending brackets when you type the first one.
    Typing out a function name takes about the same time as typing the three first letters and selecting the right one from a dropdown. And, if you type the same thing very often, just use some macros to fix that?

I'm just wondering what exactly is so great about a autocomplete, and what you need that notepad doesn't have?

PoPSiCLe, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  6. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you're really interested in increasing your productivity, auto-completion is at or near the bottom of the must-have list with an install deadline of never. I agree with @PoPSiCLe that some form of auto-closing html tags is helpful, if not gotta-have.

Now for the must-haves:
    • Number one is you must be a touch typist.
    • Keyboard only operation. One of the commonest causes of tapping the brakes is reaching for the mouse. When you're in the zone, you don't want to break the flow. One study showed that in-the-zone programmers need fifteen minutes or more to get back into their flow after an interruption. How many times a day do you interrupt yourself by messing with the mouse? Don't get me wrong, you can use the mouse, but understand, it slows you down; a bunch. My own choice of editors had a graphic UI before either Apple or MSFT had graphic interfaces. Most of the feature in today's editors are derived from that editor.
    • Auto formatting. To increase your productivity, make your source readable by the Mark Ⅰ eyeball. A sane system of indentation and blank lines makes maintenance and debugging easier and quicker. For example, I want nested items indented two spaces in html, three spaces in C-like and Lisp-like scripting languages and four spaces in css. I want blank lines between siblings (OK, I do that myself by double tapping the return key {the enter key for the youngsters}). My editor detects the language, even when inlined or embedded within another, and applies the proper formatting.
    • CVS integration. If you work with others or you want to have a history of the development, you need a concurrent versioning system, e.g. Git or Mercurial, etc.. A productive text editor will let you do the common operations in whichever CVS you prefer, as you work and without having to change applications to do them.
    • Choice of tiles or tabs, or both. Each has its own virtues, just be sure your editor can keep multiple files open in editing buffers. I tend to use switched (tabbed) buffers most of the time, but when I need additional buffers visible, say for reference or comparison, I split the screen as many times as needed to have them all in front of me. In web development, I might have html/php, css, javascript and template engine files open side by side and editable.
    • Extensibility. No editor can be all things to all people. The editor you choose should be open source so you or others can modify its behavior or add new behaviors. My editor, for instance, has secure repositories with more than 3,000 plugins and extensions. Someone, somewhere, wrote an extension that inspects the repos, lists all the plugins that are available, installed or included in the editor install, and marks those that have updates available. Back at the turn of the century, I used an extension called html-helper-mode. It allowed me to use shortcut key chords or a drop-down menu to insert html tags. There were two that annoyed me. The A tag included the target attribute which I have never used on a customer's site (frames and forced new windows are unnecessary evils), and the IMG tag did not have the alt attribute (inaccessibility is evil incarnate). It was trivial to figure out how to modify the code to correct the annoyances. I also added several tags the original author left out. There, I had to find shortcut keys were reasonably mnemonic and that didn't cause conflicts. Adding the new tags to the drop-down menu was again trivial. I am not saying I'm a whiz-bang coder. I'm saying that given an existing code template, you can modify it. Not if it's closed source, though.
    • Cross platform. I almost forgot this. Choose an editor that will run on whatever machine you're on; Linux, OSX, Unix, *BSD or if you're stuck on legacy crap, Win*.
    These are things I think are crucial to productivity, YMMV. They're not all I want from from my editor, but there's a difference between need and want. I think an integrated organization mode is important to keep track of client meetings, team meetings, job assignments, TODO/done/deadline lists, site and page structures and on and on. Others might think Post-it© notes do the job.

And, by the bye, my editor is Emacs.

cheers,

gary

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    kk5st, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  7. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hate those thing as autocomplete. I even turn off suggestion. Anything that helps get me working on the go would be the greatest and most productive.

So my favorite text editor is an ancient notepad++ which I first downloaded age ago and never upgrade. Basically, I just need anything that shows lines of code.

ketting00, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  8. secondcreative

secondcreative Peon

Best Answers:
    I like Vim. There's a pretty steep learning curve, due to its overtly techie nature; but if you can cling on or are just looking for something more powerful to work with, you'll find plenty to like in Vim's flexible tools, customisation and macros, and efficiency-oriented commands.

secondcreative, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  9. seoaceindia

seoaceindia Banned

Best Answers:
    notepad ++ is highly recommended software for text edit.

seoaceindia, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  10. Rare Pepe

Rare Pepe Peon

Best Answers:
    Auto-suggestion was what I meant.

As I type, I want text editor to suggest me which functions and variables are present and has been already defined before. E.g Visual Studio lists functions for C# language.

Rare Pepe, Aug 5, 2016 IP
  11. Shahidul Islam

Shahidul Islam Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like sublime text 3 for comfortable code writing experience.

Shahidul Islam, Aug 5, 2016 IP
  12. meet_dilip

meet_dilip Member

Best Answers:
    Atom, Adobe Brackets.

meet_dilip, Aug 10, 2016 IP
  13. Steven Ghandehari

Steven Ghandehari Peon

Best Answers:
    Sublime all the way :cool:

Steven Ghandehari, Aug 10, 2016 IP
  14. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think you will find that to be less help than you expect. YMMV, but I wouldn't put a lot of stock in auto-suggestion when there are so many more important reasons for selecting a text editor.

gary

kk5st, Aug 11, 2016 IP
  15. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Selecting an editor is not a popularity contest. Why do you recommend it?

Define "comfortable ... experience". Why is it comfortable?

Whoo, we have a cheerleader posting fact-challenged, empty statements.

Energy? Adobe makes for poor brackets. Were you meaning to tell us something?

Folks, when you give us a preference for one thing or another, text editors in this case, at least make it worth our time to read your comment; tell us why we should pick your choice.

gary

kk5st, Aug 11, 2016 IP
  16. WebDeveloperOne

WebDeveloperOne Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Atom. And sometimes Geany (On ubuntu).

WebDeveloperOne, Aug 11, 2016 IP
  17. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And, you obviously failed to read the topic thread; especially the immediate prior.

If you're on a modern OS (Ubunto), shouldn't you be using a grown-up editor, say Emacs? :grin:

gary

kk5st, Aug 11, 2016 IP
  18. Rare Pepe

Rare Pepe Peon

Best Answers:
    I found my "perfect" text editor - JetBrains Php Storm, which is quite good and rich in features.

Rare Pepe, Aug 18, 2016 IP
  19. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You're kidding, right? $200 per year for no more features than what you can get for free? Or $650/year to get additional language support? Again, there are free editors that do most, if not all of what this proprietary editor/IDE does. I didn't see a damned thing that I'd want in their All Products Package that I don't already have in Emacs, and Emacs has a whole potload more. No thanks.

Are you a shill for this outfit?

gary

kk5st, Aug 18, 2016 IP
  20. asiandjinn

asiandjinn Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i use html pad which is best and like adobe Dreamweaver.it show live preview.

Dreamweaver and html pad both are good

asiandjinn, Aug 20, 2016 IP