1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where Am I Going Wrong - Please Review my Website.

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Josh Cottom, Jul 13, 2016.

Hi everyone,

So I have a site: http://wisegnome.com that has been live for nearly a year now. I've read countless articles on how to rank in google, build backlinks and get visitors etc etc. but still despite my best efforts i'm getting no visitors to my site (and I mean 0)!!. Please help me work out where i'm going wrong, i do web development as a hobby and its becoming very annoying to see all my hard work go to waste.

The strategy i've tried is to build quality content, write blog posts, promote these on social media (even though I have only a handful of followers) and do some blog comments to get the few backlinks I do have. As a hobby im limited with the amount of time I can spend on it so only get out around 1 blog post a month, 10 or so new products, a bunch of tweets and thats about it.

From what i've found its a annoying situation where you need visitors to promote your content to, but new content isnt being seen by anyone. What is the best way for me to get even a small amount of visitors to my site?

many thanks :)
    Josh

Josh Cottom, Jul 13, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Who do you expect to have as visitors?
    What keywords are you targetting?

Have you ever used a list like this to find a present?
    I have, but I've never found anything even vaguely inspirational on them. I suspect the days of sites like this (and there are thousands of them) are gone and unless you find some quirky twist on the concept you are wasting your time.

sarahk, Jul 13, 2016 IP
  3. Josh Cottom

Josh Cottom Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi sarahk,

Thanks for your input. My target visitor would be someone who is stuck for an idea on what to get someone as a present. In terms of keywords, something like "present finder" or "Amazon gift ideas" would be my main target, i am also trying more long tail keywords though, mainly related to the products.

As you say the sites that are out there at the moment sell there own items and a lot of them are essentially overpriced junk, I was hoping to provide genuinely good products and gift ideas however by using the huge number of products on Amazon. Im sure lots of people buy presents from Amazon, so hopefully I could give them suggestions to inspire them and cut down their search. I also plan to possibly link it to other sites like etsy to get a bit more of a personal touch on presents but havnt got that far yet.

Josh Cottom, Jul 13, 2016 IP
  4. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd go back to the drawing board and start my keyword research for scratch and focus on low hanging fruits first. Ranking for keywords like 'amazon gift ideas' is not going to happen anytime soon. So I'd be thinking about 'unique gifts for her under $50' or something along those lines (this is just an example).
    I'd also properly optimise product pages (if this is possible). Again I'd work on long tail versions of product keywords as they'd be easier to rank for.

I'd also work on building links at the same time while doing the above two.

hhsaus, Jul 13, 2016 IP
  5. jv1999

jv1999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well it's a store site. So I think you'll get visitors by advertising.

But if you're trying to get on the first page of google, you're not doing anything at all to help :D. No content, no blogs, nothing.

jv1999, Jul 13, 2016 IP
  6. Josh Cottom

Josh Cottom Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I will try and improve my long tail keywords for now then I guess and make as much high quality content as possible. Where is the best place to share this content though? As i said no visitors so they arent seeing it and when I post it on social media it only reaches a few followers.

What do you mean by optimising the product pages?

With regards to the advertising, ive done this a bit around Christmas time but find it doesnt give me a profit at other times so dropped it.

Josh Cottom, Jul 14, 2016 IP
  7. FCM

FCM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey man, I recorded a video for you reviewing your site. I will be uploading it to youtube as soon as I can. I will provide you with links, in it I will cover a few things ranging from marketing strategy to website suggestions.

EDIT:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    FCM, Jul 18, 2016 IP