1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Minimum Word Count for Blog Posts

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by avery-eisenreich, May 22, 2016.

Is there a minimum word count that Google enforces for Blog Posts? What other factors does Google consider when determining a copy to be authoritative?

Avery Eisenreich

avery-eisenreich, May 22, 2016 IP
  2. JudySlean

JudySlean Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don,t think! More important to have a good and "organic" comment! You shoud try to use nature comments and blogs, and everything will be great! More important to discribe your mind)!

JudySlean, May 22, 2016 IP
  3. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its completely depends on the objectives of your article. You may write minimum of 500 to 600 words. Don't make your post longer until it is very necessary and have add some value to it.

iwebsocial, May 23, 2016 IP
  4. Evan D

Evan D Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    I highly doubt length matters as much as content and relevance. Seth godin usually writes super short posts. Can't be more than 300 words max. And I see him on the first page for search results.

Evan D, May 28, 2016 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  5. Johnblogs

Johnblogs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It isn't necessary to have a long post just for the sake of having a long post, but longer posts do generally have a better chance to rank. Yoast SEO recommends a 300 word minimum. If you have enough value to add then I'd recommend your posts be up to about 1,000 words.

Johnblogs, May 29, 2016 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  6. Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have never heard of a minimum length to make google happy. I have posts that range from a single sentence to thousands of words long. Some of my best trafficked posts are tips posts that are extremely short.

Rob Whisonant, May 29, 2016 IP
  7. jv1999

jv1999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on your niche. For example, azlyrics doesn't even blog :D (I think), and yet they're first page and wow those yearly views.

You're probably not hosting a lyrics site or a meme site, so I'd say you need to stick to the general rule of thumb.

For SEO, people say 500 minimum. But, if you're trying to boost your authority, you'll want to write 2,000-3,000-length articles. Of course readers probably won't want to read that length, but Google will give your site more authority because your content is more thorough for those topics. So it's sort of like an SEO hack rather than an organic way to drive audience. Google will favor your 3,000-word article (high quality) on dolphins over 500-word ones.

But if your site's already established, there's no need (and it's also detrimental) to write such long articles. Readers want short articles that are scannable and readable -- not mini-books lol

jv1999, Jun 3, 2016 IP
  8. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If anyone has told you that there's a magical number to please the search engine Gods, stop listening to that person or taking advice from them.

There's so many different factors with on-page and off-page that matter far more than the number of words in the article. People who write fluff and crap to meet a 400-600 word quota usually have lower conversion rates and more bounces. Google on its own doesn't consider anything to be an authority. It'll only consider something to be an authority figure when others do so. Other people have to be sharing and liking your content.

No they won't. By that logic, I can just type up a 3,000 word article filled with incoherent garbage and fluff to rank quickly and high over someone that took the time to put UX into perspective and wrote a 500 word article that makes sense.

coreygeer, Jun 9, 2016 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  9. blogguru123

blogguru123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on the type of post; I personally use yoast on my blog but as my blog is food related so 300-500 words seems okay. But in case of articles even more than 600 words are justified. Readers love to read to the point articles with proper bullets or numbering rather than going for long paragraphs.

blogguru123, Jun 9, 2016 IP
  10. diyan_iva

diyan_iva Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no minimum length of a blog post. I, personally, write many articles between 150 and 200 words for my technology news blog. I depends on the topic you cover. If I write some tutorial or how-to guide, than of course, the article is much longer.

diyan_iva, Jun 11, 2016 IP
  11. nosheen hayat

nosheen hayat Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with Diyan-iva, but Mostly peoples suggest about the length of professional blog post is more then 400 words.

nosheen hayat, Jun 13, 2016 IP
  12. Cultivar

Cultivar Member

Best Answers:
    my experience is longer content is preferred by the search engines. So one article will generally pull in more visitors than several small articles. Sometime though this just does not work for the every style of blogging.

Cultivar, Jun 13, 2016 IP
  13. Cultivar

Cultivar Member

Best Answers:
    Oh and google will consider authority based on other factors such as age of site and the number of google +'s ther post might have. I'd suggest they also consider the bounce rate, a low bounce rate is a signal that the post is relevant.

Cultivar, Jun 13, 2016 IP
  14. JH9

JH9 Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't depend on the word count, but it more depends on the quality of article, uniqueness, subject, grammar and conversations create after publishing it. You can write 400-4000 words long content.

JH9, Jun 18, 2016 IP
  15. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I try to keep my posts in the 500-word range since I am most comfortable writing articles around that length. Many people in my niche suggest 1000 words at least though.

ViolentAJ, Jul 2, 2016 IP
  16. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That's true the page has more chance to rank because there are more long tail keywords the article can rank for.

dcristo, Jul 2, 2016 IP
  17. imransoudagar

imransoudagar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google doesn't enforce anything. You need at least 300-400 word blog post to get good ranking. But I have seen many blogs with much less content rank for many keywords. It all depends on the quality of your blog and the authority your blog has.

imransoudagar, Jul 10, 2016 IP
  18. billll

billll Active Member

Best Answers:
    For Google, or any other search engine, the "Word-Count" doesn't matter. I'm telling this from my own personal experience.

Steve Pavlina is famous for writing 1000s of words posts, and Google definitely gives him the top rankings in its search engines... But, the interesting thing is, if you check "Seth Godin", and read his posts, sometimes, they aren't even 50-words long. And, Google still loves him too.

Other than that, Google in fact give high rankings to those videos too that don't even have a description.

So, on the whole, the word count doesn't matter. Google actually checks your content through various angles and then give you the ranking. For example, Google will see how much people are engaged and discussing about your post, the likes and share factor of social media, how you're exactly replying to the comments and resolving people's issues, and how much consistent you're in your blog.

If you're thinking that you're gonna slap a few blog posts and then vanish for 6-months. It won't work. In fact, not even the best Seach Engine Optimizers can help you.

Then best thing you can do is to stay consistent. Post daily, even if it's a 50-word post, and try to engage with people, or find ways to promote your content (those 50-words). Once you start doing that, you not only acquire the best rankings, but also build a loyal following.

billll, Aug 6, 2016 IP
  19. Peter Bright

Peter Bright Member

Best Answers:
    avery
    i agree with other posters here, content and quality is very much more important than wordcount, what I have learned though is that you want to keep the visitor on your page for as long as possible, so good interesting content will help to do this, also if you use different medi to deliver your article, videos, infographics, text, even ppt audios. Another point to encourage visitors to stay is to have a page they have to scroll down - this also has an impact on SEO. If you can also make reference to other articles ask visitors to share your articles and/or look at other pages of your site - all that helps boost your ratings.

Peter Bright, Aug 11, 2016 IP
  20. Navea

Navea Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are no minimum word count for blog posts. Although I favor lengthy post.

Let's not forget that link is still the factor that ranks a webpage. A blog post that gets shared many times and acquires many links will go viral.

A post that goes viral will rank higher and posts that goes viral usually ranges from 800 - 2,000 words or more.

Take note, we are talking about blog posts and not news or press releases.

Navea, Aug 11, 2016 IP