1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Business Debit Card...info collected when ran?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by eMonetize, Jun 4, 2016.

So if I have a business debit card, which has the business name and my name on the card. If a payment form requires first and last name and I enter it and the card is ran, will the company I'm purchasing from also see / collect the business name or they will just get first and last name?

eMonetize, Jun 4, 2016 IP
  2. WebScavenger

WebScavenger Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well I can only speak from my experience. I have a business card with company name on it, and all I do is put the company name in the name field. So if the company name is SEO Joe, the I put SEO in the first name field and Joe in the last name field, and I have never had a problem with payment going through.

WebScavenger, Jun 4, 2016 IP
  3. wco

wco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In reality, if you are not the head of the company or are a partner, the likelihood that someone could trace the activity to the original purchaser is high - however this also strictly depends on the country of use, purpose of use, previous spending habits, a wide range of variables, really. Also refer to your "business debit card"'s TOS. As for fraud or even "unauthorized access" this too can be traced directly back to the user one way or another - with or without LE. Have you reached out to your card-holder's customer service directly?

wco, Jun 9, 2016 IP
  4. eMonetize

eMonetize Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you guys are following what I am asking. So on my business debit card is my company name and my first and last name...

ABC Business Plans LLC
    John Smith

There are times when I use the card online, where it asks for First Name and Last Name and I would enter John and Smith per the above example.

Does the merchant I'm purchasing from ever see ABC Business Plans LLC, since it was never listed?

eMonetize, Jun 9, 2016 IP
    wco likes this.
  5. wco

wco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry John Smith I believe I did skip over your original question, but in all fairness, this is a really difficult question to answer without directly working for or representing said corporate entity. I only spoke from experience originally in partiality of using my bosses for online purchases in previous employment.

What the merchant does or doesn't see, beyond what you indicated on the purchase-verification honestly depends on your debit-card providers TOS, or level of data they withhold or secure, based on their own range of ethics or criteria.

It could even be a different answer dependent upon the size of the purchase - some sellers could hypothetically request or extract that data in full, unbeknownst to you - without verification.

For instance, Visa may very well not abide by the same regulations for a scenario such as this, therefore one answer could just as easily be different than the other, dependent upon the company, as well of country of origin in making these purchases.

However, when we used it above to make online purchases in the given example, we never had a reason to ask or check. How could we have ever known, as per the example if we never had a reason to ask? Why don't you ask the merchant(s) you're making the purchases from, even if it's through Paypal ask PP this question.

wco, Jun 9, 2016 IP
  6. PerformanceCard

PerformanceCard Peon

Best Answers:
    I deal in more high risk business but this question interested me so I asked a colleague who is an expert in the domestic low risk side. He has worked for First Data for 20 years. His response is that the merchant would not see the business name if you only put in your 'John Smith' name using your company credit or debit card.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    PerformanceCard, Jun 9, 2016 IP
  7. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'll sum the whole thing up really quick. The merchant only sees what the customer provides unless the card is swiped. In the case where a card is swiped, the cardholder name and most likely the business name is on the magnetic stripe or chip. Whether the merchant captures this information is another story.

Otherwise, the merchant cannot even verify the cardholder name, so when you see checkout forms that have a separate field for cardholder name, it's also meaningless.

jestep, Jun 9, 2016 IP
    wco likes this.
  8. fionix

fionix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My business card always display my name on the credit card statement's not the company!

fionix, Jun 10, 2016 IP
  9. eMonetize

eMonetize Member

Best Answers:
    Would it make any difference if your signing up to something that has reoccurring billing?

eMonetize, Jun 12, 2016 IP