1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bad Event Tracking Code

Discussion in 'Better Analytics' started by Joey Link, May 9, 2016.

We haven't had data for Acquisition > Search Engine Optimization > Landing Pages since May 3rd. I can't imagine what might have changed on that day, but it's now reporting 0. Here's what Google's saying:

@digitalpoint any help would be appreciated :)

Joey Link, May 9, 2016 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What is the URL of your site?

digitalpoint, May 9, 2016 IP
  3. Joey Link

Joey Link Active Member

Best Answers:
    https://www.northwestfirearms.com

4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You have something on your site outside of Better Analytics that is triggering Google Analytics events. Specifically, when I look at your network traffic a hit type of "dc" is happening and that is definitely not coming from Better Analytics. According to Google Analytics documentation, "dc" isn't even a valid hit type: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/parameters#t

No idea where it's coming from (you have so many things loading on that site it's probably going to be difficult for you to track down). I suppose a good place to start would be to do what Google suggests in the error message you got (see if you can debug it with Google Tag Assistant Recordings).

5. Joey Link

Joey Link Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok I'll do that. Thanks for looking into it Shawn.

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Also, on the main page (the one I checked), regardless of that "dc" hit type being logged, the normal pageview hit type *was* logged before it. So the pageview was indeed first (as it's supposed to be).

I wonder if you are getting the error just for some specific page somewhere maybe?

7. Joey Link

Joey Link Active Member

Best Answers:
    That was my initial thought, but the impressions have completely dropped off to zero :confused:

upload_2016-5-9_13-4-4.png

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What changed on that date for you? Something had to have changed (maybe something you installed)? Did you double check that your tracking ID didn't change or get removed and you are looking at the right property in Google Analytics?

9. Joey Link

Joey Link Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did some css work on 5/4 but nothing on 5/3. I'm looking through the dev and production styles to find which changes I made. On 5/4 I added a tickets add-on also, but it's been disabled since install until I can write the user docs. Any other checks I could run to see what might have changed? The tracking ID is the same, property is correct, and literally everything else has been tracking without issue but this one metric.

Is looking at that "dc" hit type something I'd be able to do?

10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think that dc is something non-standard, but internal to Google Analytics. Maybe if you are using Doubleclick for Publishers or something. I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Are you have different Views for the property? Maybe the view you are looking at is filtering something? The Google Analytics tracking is making it to Google (you can see that in the network traffic that it's logging my page view), so assuming the right property ID is being used, the only thing I can think of is some sort of filter on that property (typically within Views).

11. Joey Link

Joey Link Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually we run a separate WP site for advertising info, and it's an included view. I just deleted that view, and I'm wondering if a misconfiguration there might have something to do with it? If you don't think the dc is related I'll give this some time and see if removing that association has any affect.

Thanks again for your help!