1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

URL Structure

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Snowdug, May 5, 2016.

Hi Guys,

I am and always will be a part time web guy but I try.......:) So as usual I'm stuck again and seek the answers from the Brains of the industry if you dont mind helping.

I am about to begin a redesign of a website using Wordpress and a Template (Avada) which I purchased. The Original site is live. Now should I :::

A: Develop the website on a local host using WAMP or XAMPP then put it live and if I do it this way, where can I find information on ensuring the URL structure is correct when I upload it using maybe FileZilla FTP?

or

B: Use a live server such as DIgital Ocean then migrate it to the server we will ultimately use, my question here again is how and if that would work being as I would have the same URL as in thecompany.com/home etc. or is there a work around here.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me here.

Kind Regards,

Snowdug (Dog Musher)

Snowdug, May 5, 2016 IP
  2. TRUE Media Partner

TRUE Media Partner Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What CMS you are using now? Wordpress?

TRUE Media Partner, May 5, 2016 IP
  3. Snowdug

Snowdug Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, Yes it is Wordpress.

Thanks.

Snowdug, May 5, 2016 IP
  4. Arun Balasubramaniam

Arun Balasubramaniam Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Snowdug,
    After completing the website development in wordpress on your local host using WAMP or XAMPP. if you need to change the url you can change in backend itself by changing the permalink(it is available in all pages under page title).
    Finally you can tranfer to server using filezilla.

After uploading the files login to admin panel choose setting -> permalink and click on savechanges button. otherwise you will find the link are broken.
    secondly in the database, we should change the site url and home url(local host/ website url) in the wp_options table...

Arun Balasubramaniam, May 5, 2016 IP
  5. Snowdug

Snowdug Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Aha, Thanks Arun,

That makes things quite clear and sounds relatively simple. I presume I change the site and home URL in the wp_options table after the upload to the live host?

Thanks again for your assistance here.

Regards,

Craig

Snowdug, May 5, 2016 IP
  6. Arun Balasubramaniam

Arun Balasubramaniam Member

Best Answers:
    Hi craig, surely it will work... If you got any problem.. Tell the problem with screen shot...
    thanks

Arun Balasubramaniam, May 5, 2016 IP
  7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if I am doing client work I just usually use a robots.txt file and develop it at site.com/beta then you largely just have to back up the site, delete the stuff in root then move it all over a folder. You have to change 2 things in the db and likely run this to resolve some image paths https://wordpress.org/plugins/velvet-blues-update-urls/

If both sites are running wp you set your urls accordingly under settings>permalinks. That is not really an issue.

N.

Nigel Lew, May 5, 2016 IP
  8. Digineer Designs

Digineer Designs Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello
    Option "A" is better .

Digineer Designs, May 26, 2016 IP