1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whick is More Profitable flipping domains or flipping websites

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by pageinfo, Apr 19, 2016.

Hi everyone

I am new to the business of domain flipping. I bought some ( .io ) domains from auctions and registered some new ( .xyz, online , club ) domains but i found it is very difficult to sell them. I tried flippa, sedo, goddady, freemarket, auctions with no luck so far. I even created a website ( budgetdomains.xyz)
    I know that premium .com domains are expensive and beyond my budget so I focused on the new extension( xyz. club, online, io, ...etc) domains.

Now I am thinking in developing websites based on some of my domains but as most of you know that developing a website may take long time, and what makes me confused.

I need your guidance and help

I am still reading and learning.I have many questions if someone can answer them.

1- Is every one like me or I am doing something wrong.
    2- which is more profitable to flip domains or flip websites.
    3- which is better to buy short good keyword google friendly word (.xyz, online , club, io) domains or .com, .net and .org domains.
    4- Does any one expect the prices of the the new extensions ( xyz. club, online, io, ...etc) will go up in the future or not.

let me know what do you think bout my question and please excuse my ignorance.

pageinfo, Apr 19, 2016 IP
  2. akash yadav

akash yadav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    .com is king man unless you find a exact combination with other new extensions like travel.agency, strip.club etc...
    Its always easy to flip websites than domains unless they are very good, aged and can be used for a business

akash yadav, Apr 19, 2016 IP
  3. pageinfo

pageinfo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks akash for your input
    I hope the rest of the viewers will share there opinions

pageinfo, Apr 20, 2016 IP
  4. WebmasterPhil

WebmasterPhil Member

Best Answers:
    There's no easy answer to this. it all depends on the market.

flipping domains is less hassle. PR is not much of a factor anymore as Google places less emphasis on it.

flipping websites can be profitable but you need to make sure that website has been around for awhile and it's making a profit. People that buys
    flipped websites really wants an established profitable site. They see it as an investment.

WebmasterPhil, Apr 23, 2016 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Way too late to the game to start flipping domains for a profit.

dcristo, Apr 24, 2016 IP
  6. naaveenkumar

naaveenkumar Member

Best Answers:
    .com,.net domains are more profitable

naaveenkumar, Apr 24, 2016 IP
  7. Anonymously[dot]io

Anonymously[dot]io Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Flipping websites is more profitable, especially if they make some profit. Even if it's just $1/day, which is achievable within a month.

I remember selling a hosting-related website for a decent price. Picked out a catchy .com domain name, customized a Wordpress theme and sold it in a forum.

You can look into doing the same.

Anonymously[dot]io, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  8. WebmasterPhil

WebmasterPhil Member

Best Answers:
    you're probably right as Google and Bing doesn't place much emphasis on keyword rich domains anymore. PageRank is not much of factor. However, the Age of a domain is still relevant. Some buyers however will still bend over backward for a domain with the right keywords.. that match their brands. So domain flipping is still good, but not like it once was.

WebmasterPhil, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  9. Artisan

Artisan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. You should learn.

2. The most profitable is to buy the good domain names,
    develop the good web sites for these domain names, and sell
    the combination of the good web site with the good domain name.

3. The answer depends on your intentions.

4. You ask about the prices for the registration,
    or about the prices for the good words?

The prices for the registration will decrease.

The prices for the words
    depend on the words.

Artisan, Apr 30, 2016 IP
  10. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its funny, but I have seen some people make alot of money in domains, more then from websites which take more work. In one example, I saw someone buy a domain sub $100, sell it on flippa for around $1k. For a sleezy sales pitch it was a quick profit.
    Most people though would be unable to write a sales pitch that sleezy. Seriously, someone else could take the exact names you have been trying to sell, and flip that at a profit.

Flipping sites is a bigger outlay both in costs and time. If you have the time, for sure, develop a site that you can enjoy yourself. If you build a site as a hobby, or to extend your skills, then you will probly enjoy it better then if you built for the sole purpose of "business". For example, spend 10 hours building a "hobby site" if you sell that for $20 profit, thats fine. But building it as a "business" at '$2 per hour', you are better off working at maccas.

My tip. build 1 site to start off with. Build a site you can be proud of. Do your best to promote the site. And then decide what you want to do then.
    Dont try to build 100 sites in a day, you will fail.

matt_62, May 2, 2016 IP
  11. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I've done the same (I don't mean the sleazy sales pitch - a good name sells itself) but it requires intimate knowledge about a specific market. And you hit the nail on the head. Most of the good domain names are registered (unless it's a new market) so you need to approach domain owners and negotiate a good price.

But you also have to factor in domain renewal costs. You can't expect that all your domain names will sell. The days of making a full time living from domain name sales are long over.

It is infinitely better to build your own revenue generating websites, and really, you shouldn't be registering a domain name, unless there is a clear plan for development. That way, you won't face the predicament of having tons of speculative names you've registered, and you don't know what to do with them.

dcristo, May 2, 2016 IP
  12. jv1999

jv1999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think Domain Names could land you more profit if information/research is your forte. If you're constantly looking up trends or have good "demand forecast" skills and insider information... then you'll know what popular keywords / phrases are coming up in many niches.

I mean, twerking was a word from a long time ago, but after Miley got it popular, i'm sure that domain name is super expensive.

It's all about rushing to the laptop or tablet when you hear something catchy.

Flipping a website is easier, but takes more work. It's more logical versus creative. Here you're applying tested SEO techniques and experience.

With domain flipping you're using more creativity, imagining hot trendy names, making connections between recent news and possible keywords.

So whichever method works best for you is good.

jv1999, Jun 3, 2016 IP
  13. Nameshark

Nameshark Member

Best Answers:
    Domains are less work overall, but can take a long time to sell as you wait on someone to come along with a vision for it. Developing a website to the point that it is valuable is hard work, but can return huge rewards. In the end it is more about what your more comfortable with.

Nameshark, Jun 10, 2016 IP