1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Parts of site failed to load...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Mexican ™, Apr 25, 2016.

Every time I open a page at the top I see a notice (size/quality heavily reduced):

[​IMG]

Could it be because Avira antivirus is blocking Google Analytics and Lfstmedia (not sure why this one wants to track me)?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Mexican ™, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I tend to get it when Chrome starts to bloat, or there is a problem with my internet connection.

sarahk, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Would sound like an excellent possibility if it's causing parts of the site to not load.

After all, the message is about parts of the site failing to load, and you asked if it could be because you have something installed that causes parts of the site to fail to load... lol

digitalpoint, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  4. Mexican ™

Mexican ™ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, it mentions "adblock", but the extension that Avira provides is not an "adblock", which is why I am asking.

Disabled it (just for a test) and the warning's one. Re-enabling now again of course ..

So is everything really "clean" on DP? :)

5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The detection is a bit wonky, but an ad block does exactly the same as your antivirus: prevents certain page elements from loading. Hence, you get the warning. It doesn't matter, the site works just fine, however DP won't get much statistics off of you.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  6. Mexican ™

Mexican ™ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Makes sense. Seeing that messing all the time is depressing though.

7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not entirely true. lol In fact, we probably get *more* Google Analytics data from users who "block" it client-side, because then it's fed into Google Analytics via server-side API.

See the section about "Users With Analytics Blockers" here: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/better-analytics.1787/item

digitalpoint, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    This always cracks me up. People want to do affiliate / internet marketing and then they have all sorts of adblockers installed. The two just don't go well together.

qwikad.com, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  9. Mexican ™

Mexican ™ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So what you are saying is that marketing people should avoid using antivirus software (to be more specific, Browser Safety and similar add-ons)? Seriously?

Mexican ™, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can use whatever you want, but if you see a message about parts of a site not loading properly, and you know you are using software that causes parts of a site to not load, it's probably a silly question to ask why when you already know why you get the message. :)

digitalpoint, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  11. Mexican ™

Mexican ™ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I wasn't sure that was the issue, which is why I asked and thought someone will know for sure. Assumption's not really an answer. ;)

Anyhow, if the idea is to warn all users who do have something installed that disables % of the sites functionality despite the fact that it does not affect the end user, fine, I'll try to ignore it.

Thank you!

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It absolutely does affect the end user. If it wasn't always an issue that people needed support because parts of the site don't work properly for them, there would be no point in having the message. As long as someone using ad blockers understand that parts of the site will not function because of the ad blockers they are using and aren't going to need support because of it, I'm totally fine with ad blockers. Unfortunately, people assume ad blockers *just* block ads, but the way they work is that they are altering how a site functions and will break all sorts of other things unrelated to ads.

For example a support thread just yesterday that the user's issue was caused by his ad blocker: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/new-post-from-a-new-premium-member-is-not-creating.2778972/

There are all sorts of random things that don't work on the site because of ad blockers or other extensions: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/parts-of-site-failed-to-load.2686797/#post-18760201

13. Mexican ™

Mexican ™ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This changes my view a bit in regards to adblock add-ons, but again, in my case - all it blocked was Google Analytics and some other mysterious (to me) service, which I doubt would ever ever cause any issues unless the site's set up in a way that it does in fact serve issues if something's not as per the rules.
    Not trying to find points that I do not like about DP or anything else - just constructive UX feedback from my personal (and only) experiences.

Again, Thank You! :)

14. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Of course I am serious. Most ad blockers will block folders like "banner", "banners", "adverts", "advertising" as well as links containing those words. So, how can anyone doing internet marketing use an ad blocker if the very essence of their business is wrapped around dealing with those types of folders, keywords, etc? Not to mention that most ad blockers break / disable some javascript codes thus preventing a normal flow of things.

I get an email once or twice a week from users not being able to post ads on my classifieds for that very reason. Once they disable their ad blocker everything works like it should.

qwikad.com, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    A decent ad blocker should be able to handle exceptions and be enabled for all but those sites you turn it off for.

sarahk, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  16. Mexican ™

Mexican ™ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So here we continue - as I understand you, it is a requirement for marketing people to look at others work (ads, functionality, ..) in order to remain being able to call yourself a marketing guy? Sorry, but, personally I don't get your point. It is normal that you want to hide your fingerprints from a competitor and/or disable some parts of the site to be able to silently investigate it later. Most of the guys I know have the biggest amount of such add-ons installed (and enabled) and at least to me it makes sense.

Again, this isn't really about adblockers, but me running one of the top free antivirus solutions with an add-on (installed by default) that ensures that the sites I visit are secure. Personally, I haven't been using any of the adblock solutions for a few years already as they indeed disable things that I might be interest in, but that's a different topic.

17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't think that is what @qwikad.com meant - he was pointing out that the words that trigger ad blockers tend to be in the content of marketing related sites and he's suggesting that adblockers get overwhelmed by their trigger words being all over the place.

sarahk, Apr 26, 2016 IP
  18. Mexican ™

Mexican ™ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Can't agree with that. Since when ad-blockers scan the content? For example, https://www.reddit.com/r/web_design/comments/1sq3xk/today_i_discovered_that_adblock_blocks_elements/ (yes, I know, 2 years old, but the core principles haven't changed) - not correct?

19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    They always have. That's why they tend to break sites. If they were just doing something like blocking the URLs of ad servers, there wouldn't be an issue really.