1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Citing Sources and Photos in Website Content

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Gavin77, Apr 3, 2016.

If you are writing pages of website content, if you use facts/statistics or photos from a different website, is it ok to use them in your content as long as you correctly cite where you got them from?

Gavin77, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  2. Crimebuster_of_the_Sea

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's probably best to email the website owner first and ask them - especially where photos are concerned. I don't think there's any issue quoting stats though as long as you paraphrase and link.

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea, Apr 6, 2016 IP
  3. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ^^^^^This.

And the pictures, I wouldn't bother with.

Senobia, Apr 13, 2016 IP
  4. DD Grace

DD Grace Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think if it's a picture created by a website owner, like some infographics or drawing, it's better to ask for a permission to use it. The same thing with the photos.

Google this article: "Use of photographs from social media in our output". In this article BBC folks apologized for using photos of Twitter users without permission and attribution. So, do not make the same mistakes.

DD Grace, Apr 28, 2016 IP
  5. WebmasterPhil

WebmasterPhil Member

Best Answers:
    General facts that you can get anywhere most likely don't need citation. But information you can't get anywhere except for a few sources, would be wise that you credit them.

It's always better to err on the safe side.

WebmasterPhil, Apr 28, 2016 IP
  6. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes obviously, if there is some person involved in the photo you copy, you should contact the site owner or the person and ask if you can copy those photos. I have come across many of my competitors sites, where they just copy the photos of mine in a seminar or with my staff and display it as their company, by some changes in photoshop. Later I have to send them official emails to take down the photos, its really irritating, so better ask first.

China_girl, Apr 28, 2016 IP