1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ranking #9 on Bing, why?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by dscurlock, Apr 6, 2016.

My site is somewhat new, so I have not done a lot of link building,
    if any at all at this point, so today, i get this ping that a certain keyword
    is ranking #9 on bing; They must be teasing me or something, I just cant
    see why I would rank #9 among a page of other authority sites. I know
    my site has climbed a little in DA/PA, and I do not think I should be there, as
    I am still working on my site, I certainly did not expect to be there either....

I am thinking it will be there today,
    then maybe next week rank where it ranks...

What do you think?

dscurlock, Apr 6, 2016 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How competitive is the keyword? That's the key. And how relevant is the search phrase to your site and the other sites shown in the results?

billzo, Apr 6, 2016 IP
  3. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would say it is fairly relevant compared to other sites...
    not very competitive since I am seeing very min bing traffic...
    It is not like I am getting 100s or 1000s from the keyword...

I was just curious why I would appear on a page with other
    high authority sites; I just found that odd, and it has since
    moved to page 2 as I do expect things to jump around....

I guess I should get some research software or something...
    however, it is not like I am dishing out content daily....

dscurlock, Apr 7, 2016 IP
  4. Ditmar

Ditmar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure your website has #9 in Bing and this is not personalized SERP? What tools you are using to check Bing rankings for your website?

Ditmar, Apr 7, 2016 IP
  5. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Relevance is what matters. Having the keywords sprinkled in a web page in an irrelevant way should not cause a site to rank higher because it is a "high authority" site or has more incoming links, PR, or whatever.

billzo, Apr 7, 2016 IP
  6. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @billzo is right. If there is little competition for a search term, any site could potentially rank on the first page. I've done this many times with new sites before.

steveb, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  7. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    this keyword stuff is confusing. This same keyword in Long Tail pro says it has zero searches, however
    visitors keep hitting that page that contains that keyword, so if it is not ranking on that keyword, then
    apparently it is ranking on a similar keyword that I do not know about; It may be better off if I hire someone
    that knows what they are doing, as I am trying to find keywords, I am running through 1000s of keywords
    and I am not finding much of anything of value using Long Tail Pro; With the way things are going at this
    point it maybe better for me just to write content, and let nature take its course, and it does not matter
    which way you go, it normally ends up getting expensive, and still waiting long periods of time for anything to happen.

dscurlock, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  8. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure how Long Tail Pro works, but I would just use Google Analytics and Google Keyword Planner. They're both free to use and offers pretty good insights.

As for SEO, don't get caught up on all the small stuff. Not worth worrying about keyword density and all that. Focus on the key things like unique content creation and promotion. Google is smart - it will figure out who to rank. Plus, Google has been working on its natural language algorithm, so exact match keywords aren't as important these days.

steveb, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  9. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    I am not really looking for keywords for content; I am looking for keywords I can do link building with...
    It doesnt make sense to use keywords so competitive that I will never rank; I guess that is why
    keyword research takes so long, unless you get lucky with a super easy niche, otherwise it takes time
    to find them, then on top of that, then I have to wonder how accurate long tail pro is to begin with....

10. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keywords for content vs keywords for link building is basically the same thing. Write about topic "so and so" and build links for "so and so".

Google Keyword Planner gives you ideas for what keywords are receiving traffic and level of volume.

As for deciding which keywords to target, I guess different people have different goals. Yes, long tails are easier to rank for, but the volume is a lot lower. If you want to go for the gusto, go after some competitive keywords. I suppose long tails are good for starters, just to get the traffic flowing in.

steveb, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  11. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    in my niche, going for competitive, could literally take years...
    I am not trying to sell school supplies, or pet crap.... :) and I
    certainly do not want to head into the golden age; I would rather
    find golden keywords, if there are any left out there....

12. iconaddxb

iconaddxb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Each search engine has its own criteria for ranking website based on different factors. Maybe your website meets the requirements of bing ranking factors and has better quality than other websites in the same niche.

iconaddxb, Apr 12, 2016 IP
  13. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    not really sure about that, according to my stats...

Google: 80 visitors
    Bing: 19 visitors
    Yahoo: 2 visitors

not sure how accurate the stats are, it just seems far more
    hits then that appear to be coming in. It is going to take some time anyways,
    after all, the site is somewhat new; Its not like I have to figure all this out tonight... haha...
    too be honest, I would just like to know where those keywords are, so I can target
    them to ensure that they stay where they are, or even climb even higher, and I can
    not do that, until I am sure which keywords are bringing in the traffic....

my stats plugin, says I got 300 visitors today, which is the highest I have seen to
    date, again, I do not know how accurate or reliable these stats are to be honest....If i had
    a fully setup site that was completely monetized, I would ask, which way to the bank...
    however, that may seem great, but traffic so far is random at best, coming from all over....
    and I can not be certain if this stats plugin counts spider hits as part of that 300, I dunno...

dscurlock, Apr 12, 2016 IP