1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are cheap SSL certificates worth it?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Stuart F, Feb 4, 2016.

I'm looking to purchase an SSL certificate for an e-commerce website. There seems to be a huge discrepancy in the prices for these, and I'm wondering why.
    My webhost offers them from £50/year, but I see that some (such as Go-daddy) are offering them starting at £3.99/year. (My webhost will let me use another provider for a £25 fee, incidentally).
    Surely there's a catch to the insanely cheap ones?
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

Stuart F, Feb 4, 2016 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If a SSL certificate is not accepted by browsers without triggering the scary warning message, then they are not worth it. That whole high-priced SSL Certificate thing is a scam anyway as is the worthless "warranty" they offer which has never been paid and will never be paid because it does not provide anything of value.

I sometimes wonder if browser makers are taking money from the certificate authorities to trigger warnings on SSL certs that haven't been purchased from a CA.

billzo, Feb 4, 2016 IP
  3. Roger Pelt

Roger Pelt Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should go with EV SSL certificate because it helps to enhance trust of customers towards website through its great features like green address bar, 256-bit SSL encryption, 99.9% browser compatibility etc. You can read more benefits of ev ssl certificate for ecommerce website from here.

If ssl certificate cheap in price it means not that ssl certificate comes with low quality. Because the ssl certificate which certificate authority provides to their customers, the same ssl certificate reseller/partners gives to their customers. So quality of ssl certificate remains the same.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Roger Pelt, Feb 4, 2016 IP
  4. HelenVendo

HelenVendo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The price depends on the level of security. There're a few kinds of SSL certificates:
    сertificates with domain check
    сertificates with domain and organization check
    EV (Extended Validation)
    with the support of sub-domains
    SGS (Server Gated Cryptography) forced high level of encryption
    mobile certificate support mobile devices
    SAN/UCC, Multi-Domain - certificates to support multiple domains

EV is the most popular and often used. It's high level of security and I think you should consider such certificate.

HelenVendo, Feb 5, 2016 IP
  5. Stuart F

Stuart F Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks all!

Stuart F, Feb 6, 2016 IP
  6. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google pay attention more on website that have ssl on it.... Am I right..?

robyries, Feb 6, 2016 IP
  7. C Roberts

C Roberts Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The cheap ssl certificates are simply called shared certificates. Like shared or starter web hosting vs dedicated hosting. It keeps the operating cost down for a new website start up it makes it affordable for all .as your business expands & you have income from your website then you can upgrade. Its simply giving you the opportunity to start of on a low budget there are different levels of security between the two the best way to make your website a hit with new potential customers would be to spend a little bit more on a good quality certificate. to been the safe side. Wishing you the best , best regards, c Roberts

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    C Roberts, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  8. Stuart F

Stuart F Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks - that's very useful information and explains a lot.

Stuart F, Apr 7, 2016 IP
  9. sem-profiteer

sem-profiteer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread; however I did find a lot of the information relevant to my question.

I do understand the EV is great for ecommerce; however what about websites that are 100% affiliate marketing and no data is gathered.

What would be the best SSL for several websites that only market affiliate programs?

I'm considering comodosslstore.com packet called: Positive Multi-Domain SSL for $17 a year.

I do know I don't need a wildcard.

Is the EV of any value to affiliate marketing?

sem-profiteer, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  10. kevin mitnick

kevin mitnick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are various types of SSL Validations such as Domain Validation, Organization Validation, Extended Validation etc. and the cost is depending on that.

If you are looking to purchase an SSL Certificate for your e-commerce website then I would suggest you can go with Extended Validation (EV) SSL certificates because you can get an extra layer of security with EV SSL compared to other SSL types.

Let’s get the benefits of EV SSL Certificates:
    • EV SSL triggers the green address bar in high security browsers
    • It shows Business Name in URL
    • Mostly issued within 1-5 business days
    • Full Business Validation Certificate
    • Adds Encryption of up to 256-bit
    • Indicates the business is genuine and legitimate
    • Supports 2 encryption algorithms, RSA and DSA within the same SSL certificate
    • Increase transaction conversion rates
    • Help business to earn maximum revenuer
    • Lower shopping cart abandonment
    • Show customers you care about their security
    • 99.9% web and mobile browser support.
    • Unlimited Server License for free
    • Protect your brand from phishing attacks

kevin mitnick, Jun 20, 2016 IP