1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are meta keywords a total waste of time?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Panda123, Apr 10, 2016.

Is it a waste of time to set-up Meta Keywords within All In One SEO plugin on my blog postings?
    I believe it is a waste of time as the search engines don't bother meta keywords. But maybe somebody here in DP knows different. And these WordPress SEO Plugins still keep the Meta Keywords within the plugin so it makes you go hmmm. Please advise SEO Experts :)

Solved! View solution.
    Panda123, Apr 10, 2016 IP
  2. iconaddxb

iconaddxb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Meta keywords were considered important factor in on-page SEO in the past but nowadays only quality content and quality back links are more important but writing meta keywords won't take much time so if anyone wants to write it is not a bad idea.

iconaddxb, Apr 10, 2016 IP
  3. Sachinsood90

Sachinsood90 Member

Best Answers:
    Right know google is not reading meta keyword tags, you can place your meta keyword on H1. H2, Title and Alt tag you will see butter result

Sachinsood90, Apr 10, 2016 IP
  4. Feroz Syed

Feroz Syed Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Earlier we used to say "Content is king" - But now we should Say "Quality Content is King" - Apart from Meta keywords, focus on quality content and I do agree with "Sachinsood90" Use Meta keywords in H1 & H2 tag But make sure you are using "LSI keywords" in your all Heading tags. Again I would say Meta keywords are less important as Google is not crawling it now - But its a part of healthy On-page optimization for your Blog posts (As all these small factors plays a vital role to optimize your page/post) So don't miss it.

Feroz Syed, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  5. fisasti

fisasti Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would say that taking the risk of not having them it's not the best idea. The real thing is nobody really knows how google algorithm is working right now.
    Don't be lazzy. Set the meta keywords with a good and meaningful content.
    Good luck!

fisasti, Apr 11, 2016 IP
    Meta keywords is a complete waste of time. It hasn't helped for a decade, and Google even admits they don't use meta keyword data.

The only thing it might do is tell your competitors what keywords you're targeting. All around a bad idea.

Writing a good meta description is a much more valuable use of your time. Catchy descriptions get a higher click-through rate in the SERPs.

Sloth, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  7. fisasti

fisasti Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, of course. I was talking about all the <meta> stuff. That even includes the "og:" tags (social media)

fisasti, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  8. Sloth

Sloth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, I completely agree with you. Those tags are totally worth filling out.

I was just responding to the original question: Is it a waste of time to set-up Meta Keywords within All In One SEO plugin on my blog postings?

Sloth, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  9. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It takes me about 30 seconds to add meta keywords to a new page. That's a pretty good investment of time, because no one can predict the future of the search engines and what factors they will choose to use in their search algorithms.

Jim4767, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  10. DarwinJones

DarwinJones Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't really matter if I put it or not... I'm just used to place it like what I did before. Even if I check my competitor they are not putting meta keywords.

DarwinJones, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  11. Panda123

Panda123 Active Member

Best Answers:
    These are absolutely excellent answers. I do have to agree with Sloth the most here so far. If I could give out likes I would.
    The plugin developer should put a note next to the meta keywords field that says currently this field is not being used by the search engines so this field is completely optional. :)

Panda123, Apr 12, 2016 IP
  12. Sloth

Sloth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haha. Yeah, that would be nice!

Sloth, Apr 12, 2016 IP
  13. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now meta keywords do not play an important role in improving search engine ranking as the Google new updates. You can use it but it doesn't help to get better position in google.

John Dave, Apr 13, 2016 IP
  14. Ernani Pitargue

Ernani Pitargue Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i'd say focus on topic relevance with quality content rather than spamming keywords, meta keywords and tags where heavily abused in the past

Ernani Pitargue, Apr 13, 2016 IP
  15. seoaceindia

seoaceindia Banned

Best Answers:
    yes but now a days all depend on your meta tile and meta description.

seoaceindia, Apr 13, 2016 IP
  16. Mathavan K

Mathavan K Member

Best Answers:
    No The Meta Description tag is very important, use can avoid using meta keywords tag.

Mathavan K, Apr 14, 2016 IP
  17. Kazi Aminul Islam

Kazi Aminul Islam Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, meta keywords are not important for google bot, but for other search engines, it does. Yahoo, bing, and other smaller search robots do care about these keywords. They help them associate the indexed content to the right keywords, at least in the starting phase. So, if you want to get rankings only in google and not in another search engine, remove the meta keywords.

Kazi Aminul Islam, Apr 14, 2016 IP
  18. Sundas Noor

Sundas Noor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ou have to make sure that you have a good keyword density. This means that the keyword you're using in your source code are also in the content of your web page. The keyword density on your page should be around 30 to 45%.

The first thing you should do is make a list of all the top keywords for your particular niche with less competition. Normally that would take a lot of research but but there is a free system that will allow you to uncover and secretly spy on anyone's google adword "top" keywords. With this free tiny plug-in, you'll be able to uncover more helpful information about your competition and the keywords they're bidding on! You'll find this tool on my website, it's 100% free.

Once you have your list of keywords, you start writing your content based on the keywords you have in your list. (remember...keyword density 30 to 45%!).

After that you start with your link building strategy in order to create as many back-links as possible from sites with a high page rank in Google.

That should do the trick!

Sundas Noor, Apr 17, 2016 IP
  19. SpreadCast

SpreadCast Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Meta Keywords are basically 99.9% useless.
    Here's a well written article explaining most of what you need to know: https://yoast.com/meta-keywords/
    However, for the remaining 00.1% - and as Jim4767 pointed out above - it only takes about 30 seconds to add them.

SpreadCast, Apr 17, 2016 IP
  20. DarwinJones

DarwinJones Member

Best Answers:
    Good point on the link, totally meta keyword doesn't give a lot of factors any more to rank well. But didn't mention that it can harm your site... so, it's still up to you.

DarwinJones, Apr 17, 2016 IP