1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help with going away from Frontpage

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by GabbyT, Apr 4, 2016.

hello all. I'm in a quandary here. I have a hobby website that was Made with Frontpage. I had a close friend from out of state doing all the updates and modifications, never learning the software myself. I'm 74, too old to learn anything new i guess. Anyway, my friend passed so while the website is up and running, I have no way to update it. Someone suggested since Frontpage is outdated, having the entire site re-done in Wordpress or another software that even I could learn. I found this site by searching and am asking for suggestions as to what would be my best course of action? My website is www.antiquelures.com if anyone wants to take alook. Thanks for reading

GabbyT, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  2. KangBroke

KangBroke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    WOW! I just took a flashback to the 1990's looking at that. :D What you need is an entire new layout. I would stay away from WordPress. There are themes that you can purchase on websites like Themeforest which are just all HTML/CSS.

Someone like me would help you re-do your website really cheap. Your website does not have tons of content and wouldn't take a ton of time. Just don't go overpaying someone to give you a damn WordPress or anything.

I wouldn't do all this for free, but I'd be willing to be i'd beat a good bit of others pricing.

KangBroke, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, what KangBroke said, maybe except for the advice about Wordpress. Wordpress haven't got many fans on this forum, but for me, it has its place. The problem with WordPress is that it sometimes can be rather bloated, and that there are certain problems with security. However, if you run it without many plugins (looking at your page, plugins won't be a problem), and do a little bit to harden the security, WordPress can be very good for a novice like yourself, since it's very easy to learn to update content.

It's also something you can test and try for free, at https://wordpress.com - you can create an account, completely free of charge, and see if you understand the underlying concept, updateing pages and so on. If you can figure that out yourself, getting it set up and running might not cost you more than a few dollars. Pick a free theme (look of the page), and start filling in content, and you'll have a good-looking, modern web-page in a couple weeks, with the same content as on the old page. There will of course be some stuff to learn, and perhaps you might want to get someone in your area to work the site for you, but it shouldn't be too expensive getting it up and running.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  4. Puntocom81

Puntocom81 Banned

Best Answers:
    I'd use wok, a static site generator. You put some content in markdown and HTML templates and it generates the static site.

http://wok.mythmon.com/

I have tried Pelican but it has a problem with fully custom url and pagination.

Puntocom81, Apr 14, 2016 IP