1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which will be a better os & server for an ecommerce wordpress site on unmanaged vps host from linode

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by taj1504, Apr 3, 2016.

I've an ecommerce site which a wordpress based. I'm bit new to this unmanaged vps host. So I want to host my website in linode singapore server. Please guide me better configuration required for my website to get good speeds & performance. Also I want an free open source web panel so came across sentora or zpanel is it good?? I'm thinking to install Ubuntu with Nginx server as I heard that this will give good speeds & performance & of coarse sentora panel. Or should I install Ubuntu with apache server. Please suggest me better one.

taj1504, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  2. ajstetson17

ajstetson17 Peon

Best Answers:
    While nginx is generally thought to be faster, a well configured apache configuration can be just as fast. It all depends on your need and what you are comfortable using. The same goes for the OS. In terms of a control panel, don't go with zpanel as it is outdated and has many security holes. I don't use a control panel, so I can't give a personal recommendation but I have heard good things about Webmin/Virtualmin and Ajenti.

ajstetson17, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  3. taj1504

taj1504 Member

Best Answers:
    well then what about centos web panel is it good?

taj1504, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  4. HostPuma

HostPuma Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have installed both for a lot for my clients, so both should work fine for you.

I would choose Sentora since its light and quick to setup.

Other options you can Google and read about are VestaCP, ConfigISP and Webmin.

HostPuma, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Also, if you want to run Wordpress, I would perhaps steer clear of Nginx, since Wordpress is mainly set up to run on Apache, and some functionality, like the Wordpress built-in nice-url-functionality won't work out of the box on Nginx.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  6. taj1504

taj1504 Member

Best Answers:
    what should be the final pick whether ubuntu or centos+nginx+wordpress or ubuntu or centos+apache+wordpress?

taj1504, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  7. ajstetson17

ajstetson17 Peon

Best Answers:
    For the OS, both Ubuntu and CentOs can do essentially the same thing equally well. It depends on what you are comfortable with using. For example, I usually use Ubuntu or Debian for my servers because I am used to the commands that those systems use. As for apache or nginx, I've used both on WordPress sites before. I find apache is usually easier initially but nginx is still pretty easy once you get the hang of it. On a non-static site, like a WordPress site, the performance difference isn't all that big, so the decision is up to you.

Just thought I'd add here that if you want a fast and simple way to setup a WordPress site, you could take a look at EasyEngine. It does most of the setup for you. While I usually like to setup my sites manually, there is some appeal to this concept...

ajstetson17, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  8. Delimiter.com

Delimiter.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Check out easyengine.io - it's an open source system for setting up highly optimized WordPress installs. You run it on top of a fresh Ubuntu or Debian install and it automates the whole process. Really awesome project.

Delimiter.com, Apr 5, 2016 IP