1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice please for safe implementation of .htaccess update.

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Jimbob1208, Apr 3, 2016.

Hi,

It has been suggested that I update the .htaccess file on my latest install of Magento v 1.9.2 using the .htaccess file provided at github here - https://github.com/Creare/magento-htaccess/blob/master/.htaccess#L57

However, I have also ready that I need to be really careful about editing the .htaccess file. Does the above .htaccess file look OK and am I OK to use it to update my own .htaccess file.

Cheers

Jimbob

Jimbob1208, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well, it seems decent enough (damn, that file is huge), I don't really know enough about Magento to say anything about it being needed or not, but Magento in itself is a bloated monstrosity, with fairly huge server-costs to run properly, so this might be a good .htaccess to run it off on. I assume you understand that you need to modify that file a little bit, change the yourdomain-bit to your actual domain and such.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  3. Jimbob1208

Jimbob1208 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cheers.

Is it just the domain info that I need to change?

Jimbob1208, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Probably - again, the other stuff in that file is mostly running different optimizations based on what your server has available (it checks first, so it should be fairly safe to run), and blocking a bot and such - shouldn't be dangerous, but I suggest keeping a copy of the current .htaccess before testing.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 3, 2016 IP