1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Heed Help on Website Design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mahesh naidu, Mar 27, 2016.

Hello All,

Im new to Website Design, I have awareness on Blogger & WordPress. and I would like to start a new Website like NEWS website. for that we need to change home page regularly and we need to add many pages to site. Can any one guide me is there any templates available for this. or we need to have strong programming skills.

Thanks in Advance..
    Mahesh

mahesh naidu, Mar 27, 2016 IP
  2. Blizzardofozz

Blizzardofozz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMO you can't have a really big, successful, secured website with lot's of traffic and this to be a WordPress site on shared hosting. So you have to have programming skills.

Blizzardofozz, Mar 27, 2016 IP
  3. Localnode

Localnode Active Member

Best Answers:
    I strongly disagree. Many news websites use Wordpress and other CMS.
    Some high-profile brands and businesses like The Rolling Stones, BBC America and Australia’s Herald Sun – use WP as a platform for their entire website.

To give an indication of just how popular WP is:
    • The term ‘WordPress’ is typed into a search engine about half a million times every month.
    • Around 20,000 posts are published on WordPress blogs every day.
    • It is used by about 7.5-million sites (40% of sites using CMSs).
    Mahesh - you're absolutely able to use Wordpress as a news website. Just make sure you have a good design to make your website look professional.

Localnode, Mar 27, 2016 IP
    guru16 likes this.
  4. Blizzardofozz

Best Answers:
    I don't care if you disagree.
    There is not a single reason for someone who knows how to make websites to use WordPress.

It's too slow and the hackers know the code!

Blizzardofozz, Mar 27, 2016 IP
  5. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    So, what do you suggest then??
    Any valuable comments you can share here, especially with the OP?
    We would love to hear from you..

Patricia Ann Lee, Mar 28, 2016 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Which can be far more easily proven by breaking it down if you know even the FIRST Joe blasted thing about HTML, CSS, JavaScript, or building websites properly. Halfwit dumbass bull like Turdpress is nothing more than nube predating scambait and a crutch for people who really have ZERO damned business even making or managing websites!

I mean bbcamerica.com is a DISASTER and to be brutally frank anyone involved in the sites creation or approval to be deployed should probably be fired for ineptitude and/or incompetance!

Illegible colour contrasts in headers and goofy scripttard dropdowns, and with much of the text overlaying images, massive images that have zero damned business on a website in the first place, broken layouts with elements overlapping that probably shouldn't (suspect someone used EM without understanding them, mixing with PX willy-nilly), pixel metric fonts on flow text, social icons in a blurry bold-like appearance making it hard to tell what they even are in an absurdly uselessly small size... a casual inspection ALONE screams "how not to build a website" and would make me ask the developer "Have you ever heard of the WCAG? Oh what am I saying of course you haven't!"

Good thing that's the America version; they deployed that in the UK with the BBC being a branch of their government, they'd be facing fines for failing to meet accessibility norms!

Of course the 77 second first-load means I would have assumed the site was broken before it finished loading; most of that massive loadtime not so much being the absurd 7 megabyte size, but that it's built from 118 separate files to deliver what? A dozen content images and 1764 BYTES of plaintext? HERPA-FREAKING-DERP! That 2.3 MEGABYTES of that is scripttardery spanning 69 files on a page I see no reason to have more than 16k of JS in one file, and 1.7 MEGABYTES of that is CSS spanning 24 files when there's no legitimate excuse given they have no legitimate media targets to have more than 24k in ONE file for the entire SITE'S CSS... That screams developer ineptitude and sleazing together off the shelf crap any-old way.

... a scale of developer ineptitude quite clear from the ape-shit insane 128k of markup that turdpress is vomiting up and has the unmitigated gall to call HTML.

All of that being BEFORE I even DARE to look at the code, which is the typical disaster of non-semantic gibberish, multiple redundant level headings without the 5 structures that let you abuse H1 that way, missing heading levels, endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes on EVERYTHING, static presentation in the markup, static scripting in the markup... the typical halfwit mouth-breathing DUMBASS bullshit idiocy so common to pretty much EVERY turdpress template I've ever seen... aka if you don't know what's wrong with this:

<body class="home page page-id-330089 page-template page-template-templates page-template-page-home page-template-templatespage-home-php">

Code (markup):
    Or this:

<div id="body-wrapper">

<header class="site-header" role="banner">

<div class="header-navigation-wrapper">
    				<section class="header-navigation" role="navigation">

<a href="http://www.bbcamerica.com" class="logo">

Code (markup):
    Or this:

<div class="nav-item nav-social expandable">
    		<header>
    			<a href="#" class="_ca-registered-click-link-event">Social</a>
    		</header>
    		<div class="expanded-content">
    			<h4>Follow BBC America</h4>
    			<div class="bbc-social">
    				<a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/BBCAmericaTV" target="_blank" class="_ca-registered-click-link-event"></a><a href="http://www.twitter.com/bbcamerica" target="_blank" class="_ca-registered-click-link-event"></a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/bbcamerica" target="_blank" class="_ca-registered-click-link-event"></a><a href="http://www.instagram.com/bbcamerica/?hl=en" target="_blank" class="_ca-registered-click-link-event"></a><a href="http://http://bbcamerica.tumblr.com/" target="_blank" class="_ca-registered-click-link-event"></a>			</div>
    		</div>
    	</div>

Code (markup):
    Do the world a favor, back the **** away from the keyboard, STOP making websites and take up something a bit less detail oriented like macramé.

The only reason they likely even get away with that steaming pile of manure is that their bread and butter is brick and mortar infrastructure, so for all intents and purposes their website is an afterthought made by marketers, being neither content driven nor revenue generating.

Well, that and the people paying them probably haven't realized just how much of a giant middle finger to users with accessibility needs and how ridiculously they must have to be overpaying for hosting is probably shtupping them!

Though to be fair, looking at your 3wimarketing site whilst better, could be WAY better; your attempt at being responsive is broken, your site logo to menu relationship looks more like a rendering error than intentional design, the vertical paddings are too small while the side margins are painfully oversized at smaller resolutions... but at least you tried to use EM for font-size and layout and your colour contrasts aren't illegible... Though I'm not a fan of the use of the goofy hard to read webfont that glyph-wise is spitting distance from segoe-ui.

You've got JavaScript on a page that I see no reason to even HAVE scripting present, twice the CSS you likely need given the relative simplicity, and your markup has nearly as many flaws, like the H3 for text that should be part of the h2 preceding it (makes me wonder if you actually used the rest of the headings correctly on purpose, or out of blind luck), gibberish poorly stuffed description meta, overstuffed keywords meta with low page relevance (it's called keywords, not keyphrases, not keysentences, but keyWORDS), scripttard only elements in the markup (odd since again I see little reason to even have scripting there apart form MAYBE the tracking crap that's redundant to your hosting logs), figure around a image that provides no data and clearly is neither a mathematical or scientific figure, target attributes without framesets like it's still 1997, absolute URI's for ZERO legitimate reason, that X-UA nonsense that has ZERO business on any NEW website, the viewport meta screwing with max scale and user-scale as a giant middle finger to people on small screens via breaking zoom, gibberish robots meta values (there is NO SUCH THING as index or follow!)... even the pointless stats script is incorrectly placed where it will exhibit blocking behavior... which is why laughably your relatively lean 6.8k of minified HTML is what I'd likely only be using 5k for.

But it just shows we all have different levels of what we consider to be quality work.

Really though you are more than correct when it comes to wordpress. All it does is vomit up rubbish, off the shelf templates for it are typically (if not always) many times worse and much like what Patton said about fixed fortifications: "A monument to the stupidity of man."

But Joe forbid anyone take the time to learn the underlying technologies used to build websites, then use them directly to deliver content to users. No, instead you need some rubbish bloated CMS not designed for your content, mated to multiple bloated off the shelf frameworks like bootcrap or jquery, to guarantee the resulting website ends up AT BEST little more than an "also ran" status in its field, at WORST a giant middle finger to large swaths of potential users basically telling them to go **** themselves.

The latter resulting in fines for failing to meet accessibility in certain types of websites from various governments worldwide, the UK leading the charge.

Just because something is popular doesn't make it good; all the other lemmings go running off the cliff are you really going to follow them? Turdpress and its ilk are nube-predating scam bait at best, the poster-child for everything wrong with web development today at worst!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    deathshadow, Mar 28, 2016 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  7. Localnode

Localnode Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you'll find most breached Wordpress installations are from outdated themes, outdated plugins, and having poor security practices such as the "admin" username and the "wp" database prefix.
    After all, if Wordpress was so bad as you make it out to be, why would high profile websites use it? I doubt Tech Crunch, BBC America, and many other companies would be using it if their websites were so easily hacked.
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/showcase/40-most-notable-big-name-brands-that-are-using-wordpress/

As for the slowness, that can easily be fixed by optimising the code, using a CDN, and caching. It's incredibly easy to achieve under 1 second loading time using Wordpress.

Localnode, Mar 28, 2016 IP
  8. Blizzardofozz

Best Answers:

I made a wordpress website once - for a day - not bad to take the money for making a website - webdesign and all... well... I charged very low because I have conscience in the end. It was hacked twice and not trough admin or wp database names.

The code can be optimized but why should I learn and change existing code if I can make my own code, which is easier and will be the code I need not some giant code I don't need?

You should constantly install security updates because everybody knows the code and try to hack it. The websites I make were never hacked probably because nobody have my code. The hackers find some wordpress exploit and half websites go down...

1 second per request is slow. See jMeter data above. It's for 400 requests for 2 seconds. Half requests of bbc america was not served!

Why should I use wordpress if I REALLY know how to make a website?? Not a single reason!

Blizzardofozz, Mar 28, 2016 IP
  9. Localnode

Localnode Active Member

Best Answers:
    How was it hacked?
    People have misconceptions about Wordpress security, and a lot of the time it is user error. Not to mention the server it's hosted on could have security holes as well.

bbcamerica.com is only one example. There're many other websites that use Wordpress. Just because I chose that website as an example doesn't mean all Wordpress websites are bad.

Localnode, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  10. Lucy Barret

Lucy Barret Member

Best Answers:

You can have a news website on WordPress. There are many WordPress Themes available for you. The likes of GOLIATH - Ads Optimized News & Reviews Magazine and Noticia - Responsive WordPress Magazine Theme are just ideal for news website. And they are responsive ready as well. So it's up to you.

Lucy Barret, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  11. mahesh naidu

mahesh naidu Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks All for your response, If I host my Website in Wordpress/Blogger is there any change to transfer my site to any other platform like my own Java Script and HTML5.

Thanks,
    Mahesh

mahesh naidu, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  12. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Because most "suits with checkbooks" (to quote a designer I know) don't know enough about websites to be making decisions about the technology used, and most IT guys at places aren't qualified to even be making websites. It's why all sorts of idiotic mouth-breathing dumbass halfwit nonsense like turdpress, bootcrap, jquery and so forth end up used.

At BEST the "suits" and even many people who should know better only know them as sick buzzwords because of it being mentioned in the pages of Forbes; which getting IT advice from Forbes is like getting financial advice from Popular Electronics.

*SNICKER* Bullshit! MAYBE on subsequent pageloads once all the crap is already in place, but that first-load is most always a train wreck.

... and as to high profile sites using it getting hacked?

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...cks-silently-delivers-ransomware-to-visitors/

Happens ALL the blasted time.

Quite often the attack vector to get in the door is something like a mod/extension to WP, or a plugin on the browser -- but once something is in the door WP offers little to no internal security. It's entire security policy and the entire construction of it is "one ring" instead of multi-layer. Everything -- even the DB connection -- is global in scope, has zero access restrictions, and with the endless multiple possible entry vectors once you get in the door you can pretty much rape and pillage the whole thing.

Hell, you can find proof of how idiotically halfwit the code is from a security standpoint from the fact that the dipshits put the SQL hostname, username and password into DEFINE!!! That means ANY code elevation at ANY point has complete unfettered access to the database! HERPAFREAKINGDERP!!!

It earned that 2008 Pwnie for Mass 0wnage award for a reason.

I've never seen one that was worth a flying purple fish; generally they are universally broken inaccessible trash using two to twelve times the code needed with laughable security.

EVERYTHING I've ever seen done in turdpress leaves me thinking that EVERY last blasted mouth-breathing halfwit involved in it's creation, promotion, and continued use really needs a good hard slap across the face with a wet trout!

deathshadow, Mar 30, 2016 IP
  13. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really, I don't see any websites that have as good architecture design as Wordpress in term of CMS (I never use Joomla or Dupal or any other frameworks). Its code is bloated. But there is reason it dominated the market.

Who says "I know how to make websites" mostly build an uncomplicated one.

Do you think the essential of building a website is knowing how to code, the most difficult of all is architecture design, database design (and hello algorithm). You start with bad design, chance you will start it over when your site grows large.

That is very troublesome, and you don't want to do that, or else you will want to knock your head against the wall.

You have the chance to study its architecture. Do it. Believe me.

ketting00, Mar 31, 2016 IP
  14. Blizzardofozz

Best Answers:
    Well test with JMeter bbcamerica.com against 3wimarketing.com (my website)
    200 users / 2 seconds / 2 loop:
    3wimarketing.com: - average - 1052, median - 958, all requests - OK;
    bbcamerica.com: - average - 4883, half requests - bad

case closed

Half requests not served! The not wordpress website - 100% served! And the not wordpress website I'm sure is on much less powerful server.

So WHY should I learn wordpress??
    Again??

Blizzardofozz, Mar 31, 2016 IP
  15. ketting00

Best Answers:
    As you wish. I will say no more. I speak from my experience and for the others.

I've faced this problem with $10 million seed fund project and it closed after launching for five months.

Good luck with your project.

Edited: I'm just a part of a team of many though.

ketting00, Mar 31, 2016 IP
  16. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    When you say "architecture design" - what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about how the inner workings of WordPress makes it easy to create, controle and change your own themes or plugins? Are you talking about the functions "behind the scenes" that you as a user can pull with calls to system functions? Are you talking about how the DB is constructed? Because none of those are particularly good.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 1, 2016 IP
  17. ketting00

Best Answers:
    I don't mean they are good.
    I mean they are flexible and highly scalable.
    Why it has to be good or bad.
    I don't care about the others. I learned from wordpress and it's good for my career, my projects. That's all.
    The others think it is trash, so be it.
    It's not possible, for me, at least, to have all aspects of knowledge in building a full-stack, full-functional web site from scratch. So when I got struck I downloaded high-profile wordpress themes and dissected them, or even when I have free times I always do this. That's all. I gain knowledge from borrowing (stealing) from the others.

ketting00, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  18. WebmasterPhil

WebmasterPhil Member

Best Answers:
    Go with WordPress. There are themes (templates) I believe for people who want to create a News-style website. WordPress also have a lot of plug-ins that will help get your website off the ground.

But I recommend that you learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and some PHP first. A person should never run a website without the knowing at least the basics of web design. There may come a time where you will want to configure your WordPress and without any knowledge of HTML, CSS, and PHP, you're going to be lost.

WebmasterPhil, Apr 30, 2016 IP
  19. xendurinan

xendurinan Banned

Best Answers:
    I suggest you to go with WordPress. You will get a lot of free templates and plugins which will help you to maintain your website. You also need strong web design and programming knowledge. I usually take help from companies which are good at web design. It doesn't cost me a lot too. If you are not so good at programming and web designing, I suggest you to take have from a web design company. You may take help from http://www.smallbusinesswebdesigns.net.au/web-design.html as I did.

xendurinan, May 5, 2016 IP
  20. meet_dilip

meet_dilip Member

Best Answers:
    @ Mahesh, go with a good Magazine theme for WordPress. You will find everything you need there. Themes like " Promax " updates the front page regulary

[​IMG]

meet_dilip, May 7, 2016 IP