1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ still alive?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Karolwf, Oct 22, 2011.

1. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    But, but snooks says that it is "real human traffic for sale". :):):)

gworld, Aug 19, 2014 IP
  2. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have 5 or 6 sites listed from way back when and I don't think I have had a referral for about 7 or 8 years in any of these websites.

helleborine, Aug 24, 2014 IP
    gworld likes this.
  3. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't get wrapped up in getting Dmoz Listed, Alexa Ranks, or Google Page Ranks... they say very VERY little about the traffic that can be generated to your web site.

I have PR1 web sites that receive thousands of daily visitors. They aren't listed on Dmoz and Alexa doesn't even know who they are :-P.... All the online appraisal sites estimate the sites earnings less than a dollar and not even worth acquiring.

NetStar, Aug 24, 2014 IP
  4. RATNA RANJAN NAYAK

RATNA RANJAN NAYAK Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes DMOZ is quite helpful for your directory submission you can use to get backlinks

RATNA RANJAN NAYAK, Aug 27, 2014 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    And you are basing this on what?

Mia, Aug 27, 2014 IP
  6. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ!
    Is it the last run?

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 5, 2016 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People have been saying or asking that for years. The anser is still NO and as usual, things are happening techincal wise, improvements are being made, DMOZ will be here for many, many years to come :)

snooks, Mar 6, 2016 IP
  8. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    As Google is now taking "Website name" from DMOZ & WikiPedia, I smell some new relevancy of DMOZ.
    Also, still there will be backlinking as the factor, DMOZ will be relevant. :D

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Mar 6, 2016 IP
  9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I love how people think DMOZ is still relevant. It's not.

NetStar, Mar 6, 2016 IP
  10. Sean Justin Preston

Sean Justin Preston Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ started off very well.
    Today, you don't need a high degree of common sense to say that the site has been totally neglected by its own editors.
    If you have tried submitting your website there, then sad to say, it would be a waste of time.
    Well, folks, life has to go on.
    There are plenty of great sites much better and responsive.

Sean Justin Preston, Mar 28, 2016 IP
  11. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mmm...common sense..... well you need to have some because the stats show that roughly 10,000 NEW sites are added per month and with hundreds and hundreds of volunter Editors editing daily, together with numerous technical advancements being implemented over the last few years and more in the coming years, you could hardly say it is neglected :(
    People just dont understand we are not here to list sites for webmasters and handling 4 MILLION sites and probably 20K NEW suggestions per month is no mean feat.

snooks, Mar 30, 2016 IP
  12. ChrisJ-ignitedbiz

ChrisJ-ignitedbiz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    NO it is not you have to be part of the club to get access.....

ChrisJ-ignitedbiz, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  13. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For whatever it is worth, as far as I am concerned, dmoz is out of touch, and to
    put it in simple words for me, dmoz is dead. Sure if you get into the club, or get
    a backlink, then your authority will blast upwords, and just because dmoz is out
    of touch, and not relevant anymore does not mean google treats them any less....

in order for dmoz to come into the 21st century compared to wikipedia, then they
    probably would have to spend a fair amount of money on upgrading the platform...
    in my opinion, i think whoever owns dmoz should just sell it off as I think it is
    very apparent that they have no plans on catching up with the rest of the world...
    or maybe they make so much money that they just do not care anymore...

and too be honest, who cares? I dont! I have a greater chance getting of getting
    into Wikipedia, google news, and other current high authority platforms, then I
    would ever wasting my time waiting on dmoz, if you are waiting in line, then
    you are simply waiting to grow old, by the time you get in, my combined authority
    will most likely exceed that of what you will get from a dmoz listing....

You have better odds of catching that next rocket to the moon....

WikiPedia Rocks!
    Dmoz, is dmoz...
    (enough said...)

dscurlock, Apr 3, 2016 IP
  14. forinnov

forinnov Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is alive :) if you didn't get an success to be listed there it doesn't mean that DMOZ is dead. Just continue your work and resubmit your site.
    Dmoz is still the biggest and the best word directory and it will be on the same place in next 3-5 years.
    TO submit or to not submit? Submit.

forinnov, Apr 4, 2016 IP
  15. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To continue your work is good advice but to resubmit your site is really very bad advice.
    1. The datestamp is overwritten and looks like a new submission whilst there are older submissions that have been waiting longer.
    2. Too many re submissions and you become a spammer and we all know what happens to them

The DMOZ guidelines say that you should submit ONCE so do that your site is not lost and some day an editor will choose to work that section and it will be reviewed for a possible listing.

I hope that it is dead for site owners who think they can get something out of a link. The directory exists for those who want to gain information and want categorised information and for those users it is certainly not dead and is certainly relevant. DMOZ really is not interested in what site owners want or expect from the directory or from a link in it.

Great to criticise anything about it from people who do nothing for the directory which is run by volunteers working for nothing in their spare time. A nd there are many of those editors, sadly we lost Jim Noble recently, as other posts on here indicate who was a great editor in Regional/UK, but there are many others, not least snooks and myself (13 years I think) still hitting the keyboard and listing sites. If anyone wants a fascinating hobby come and join us, there are links on almost every page of how to do that.

For your information AOL own it.

Anonymously, May 13, 2016 IP
  16. semidot

semidot Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm also facing this problem. I submitted my website before 5 months but it still unlisted in the DMOZ directory. Please tell me what is the exact guideline for successful submission.

semidot, Oct 12, 2016 IP
  17. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Submit once and forget about it, you may get listed, you may not, what benefit do you think you'll receive even if you get listed?
    If you think a backlink from DMOZ will instantly make your site famous and make you rich you are sadly mistaken.

malky66, Oct 12, 2016 IP
  18. semidot

semidot Active Member

Best Answers:
    so it means there is no permanent secret for DMOZ because all things will depend of their guidelines that what they think about our website listing. If website is good according to their guidelines then they will list otherwise remove listing as i feel in my mind.

semidot, Oct 13, 2016 IP
  19. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    DMOZ might updated it's website - but no more relevant.
    Many websites are dominating SERP without any DMOZ listing.
    I have tons of examples.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Oct 23, 2016 IP
  20. bxuser

bxuser Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The last time I submitted a website to dmoz was back in 2010 and it was accepted. I submitted one last week but that might take some time to get approved.

bxuser, Nov 15, 2016 IP