1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Most asked question for PHP?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by MountainBear, Mar 14, 2016.

This is probably the most asked question in PHP, but where is the best resource for learning online. Wherever i go, im finding out of date code/tutorials etc.

Looking for something thats worth investing time into.

Solved! View solution.
    MountainBear, Mar 14, 2016 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    billzo, Mar 14, 2016 IP
    sarahk, ThePHPMaster and deathshadow like this.
  3. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I strongly believe W3Schools|http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp is the best source of learning specially for beginners as it has lot of stuff like explanation of each item including examples as well as quizes/tests etc. If you will be done with W3Schools then go to PHP.Net to get a professional touch and after that there are many many forums like DP which can help you in your problem solving.

Shahzad Jameel, Mar 16, 2016 IP
    ThePHPMaster likes this.
  4. Nei

Nei Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not important what will be the first PHP book. Take the first recommended from Google search. Even youtube videos will do.
    After first book - just practice and manuals.

Nei, Mar 16, 2016 IP
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Once you learn the fundamentals of programming in general it's relatively easy to pick up another language. Unless functions have been depreciated any tutorial for the language should be able to get you started then you can use the PHP.net site as a reference.

NetStar, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    While I agree with @NetStar, mostly, I'm not really agreeing with the statement about any tutorial - a LOT of tutorials use deprecated functions like mysql_, and if you start using that it's often hard to convert to better standards.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 18, 2016 IP
    NetStar likes this.
    <snip>

That alone is reason enough not to read your post any further, as you clearly don't know enough on the topic to be flapping your gums about it. W3Fools is a steaming pile of outdated crap that has somehow sleazed along for a decade and a half through search engine trickery, pretending to be something they are not, and generally blowing so much smoke up nube's asses I could chop a greenhorn who's fallen for their tripe up with a butchers knife, stick it in a styrofoam tray to win a BBQ competition.

@billzo has it right, go to the ACTUAL MANUAL FOR THE LANGUAGE, not some sleazeball fly-by-night whorehouse filled with misinformation, bad practices and worse advice!

deathshadow, Mar 18, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. EricBruggema

EricBruggema Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with deathshadow, w3schools is so out of date... better use the manual, or check forums and ask questions. PHP changed so much in the last couple of years and there are lot of functions that you should avoid!!!

EricBruggema, Mar 30, 2016 IP
  9. Bitpalace

Bitpalace Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Our developers believe that php.net ist a great resource. For many developers it is not important to know the exact usage of every command or function, but to know, what functions can be used at all. Many times, a function is available for a task that others create an individual function for. php.net has the advantage that they cross-link all functions to others, so that developers can quickly find what they really need.

Bitpalace, Mar 30, 2016 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    And there I was thinking that most asked question about PHP was "what were the format codes for date() that I used last time?"

sarahk, Mar 30, 2016 IP
    PoPSiCLe likes this.
  11. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I thought the most asked question would fall along the lines of "I've taught myself PHP, but recently I read something about mysql_ not being safe, and now I've converted everything to mysqli_, but [this] and [that] person says my code is still bad - I don't believe them, so could you please have a look? [pastes in 500 lines of code, WITH password and link to database]" :D

PoPSiCLe, Mar 30, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.