1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress based DigitalOcean hosted site error

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by HRA, Mar 12, 2016.

Hi,

Currently my Wordpress based site is hosted in Greengeeks.
    I wanted to try out DigitalOcean and I found out about Bitnami Launchpad too.

So, I created a LAMP stack using Bitnami DigitalOcean Launchpad and moved a copy of my site there.
    Then I noticed one problem.
    I will refer the site hosted in GreenGeeks (one WITHOUT any problem) as "Live Site"
    and the site with problem as "Dev Site".

In Dev Site, problem occurs in Register Page. After user enter details and click Register; it just reloads. What it should do after clicking register is show a different page mentioning user is required activate the account.

I thought it would make much more sense if I "show you" this error. So please take a look at this vid (62 seconds long):

It can't be a problem of my site source code, because if it is, then it shouldn't work on Greengeeks too.
    I assume I should be missing some kind of server module.
    I just can't figure it out.

So any help to figure out what could be the problem is very much appreciated.

I have the php info of both sites. Im not sure if its safe to post them in public. Let me know if you need to know.

Thanks

HRA, Mar 12, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You might wanna have a look at the server logs of the Digital Ocean (usually found under /etc/log or something similar) and see if there is anything there showing what the error is). May I ask why you didn't just install Wordpress when creating a DigitalOcean droplet?

PoPSiCLe, Mar 12, 2016 IP
  3. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will check that logs and let you know.
    I tried choosing Wordpress one click installer in DO too at one time and moved the files and db.
    This error still happened.
    I thought using Bitnami would solve this.
    I used Serverpilot too. Still no luck.
    But as you can see it happened on that too.

Thanks

HRA, Mar 13, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Could you post the actual link? Perhaps there is something that can be learned from testing. (To the dev-server)

PoPSiCLe, Mar 13, 2016 IP
  5. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Sry, I should have posted this in the first place.
    This is the IP of dev site. (I will put a image of IP, so google can't pick it up)
    [​IMG]

As this is a test site, I can provide admin logins, ssh logins too if you need.

Thanks

HRA, Mar 14, 2016 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Could you PM me the SSH-login? I can't see anything from the console, but I might have an inkling as to what might be the problem (perhaps) - I've been using DigitalOcean for myself lately, and have had some issues (things I just haven't thought about, because it's always standard on most hosts). BTW, did you take a look at the apache-log?

PoPSiCLe, Mar 14, 2016 IP
  7. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    PM'd you the info.
    Thanks

HRA, Mar 14, 2016 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Hm, first of all, I'd say Bitnami might make some things easier, but damn do they make finding stuff not so easy. However, looking at the logs, they didn't really reveal anything useful. The page (the registration page) seems to return 200 (success), even though it doesn't reload content - which makes me wonder if there might be an issue with the sending of emails from within the page, and that that might prevent the load to happen? What is weird is, after nothing happened on the registration page, I reloaded the page, and then I got the "My ads" instead of Login/Register, which shows that it has at least given med a cookie or something to show that I have registered, but it says "you need to activate your account", which again of course is impossible since I never got an email.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I would try to figure out if the server actually can send email, and if it can, scratch that off the checklist, if it can't, see to it that it can?

9. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    AFAIK Bitnami doesn't install mail sending agent like Postfix. That's why you didn't get any email.
    But as I said earlier, I tried with Serverpilot too. Serverpilot installs Postfix when they setup the server. So it can't be because server don't send mails.

EDIT:
    Just to be sure, instead of installing a mail agent, I install SendGrid plugin and added an API Key. Registered an account with real email address. I got the email, but problem is still there.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    HRA, Mar 14, 2016 IP
  10. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Okay. It's a weird error. Just to ask, is the confirmation page a regular page, an ajax return, something from a plugin, or...?

11. HRA

HRA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im sorry mate. I hired some guys to develop this site for me. Im a beginner and I honestly don't know the answer to your last question.
    Is it possible for you to find out with the SSH/FTP logins I sent you? or do you need access to website backend too?

Thanks

HRA, Mar 15, 2016 IP