1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Favorite PHP editor?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Eager2Seo, Mar 1, 2016.

?

Favorite PHP editor?

1. Netbeans

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. Eclipse

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Notepad++

20 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Sublime

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  5. Textmate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. PHPStorm

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. Vim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Emacs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other (mention it in the thread)

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting you say that as I sure as hell couldn't find it -- though the illogical menu system and the UI being STUCK at 12px font sizes for the menus sure as shine-ola wasn't helping. It behaves like a Java Swing Crapplet even though it's allegedly written in Python and C++ -- an instant middle finger to users who don't use that magical default 16px just as big as the idiots who declare font sizes in pixels on websites.

It shoves it's idiotic "project management" crap down your throat, can't seem to do single instance auto-open in new window from the context menu, and on the whole is a fat bloated train wreck... There's no reason for a programmers text editor to have an installation that's bigger than previous generation BROWSERS! The load time ALONE tempts me into opening up the task manager to kill it.

All the claims I keep hearing about Sublime hold water about as good as the claims I hear about Bootcrap or jQuery... It sitting there chewing 20% of one core just because it's running? Herpaderp.

But to be fair, I consider flo's notepad 2 a little overweight as 990k.... so you start talking about some 21 megabyte monstrosity for a TEXT EDITOR I really have to wonder what's in the kool-aid.

Of course for me -- much like Brackets -- Sublime is a total fail since I can outrun the damned keyboard buffer on a i7 when trying to use it. It's THAT painfully slow.

http://itaskbar.com/

Kind of a must-have given what a pathetically useless joke the "dock" and "expose" are. (or "mission control" or whatever goofy name they're using for their useless crap interface this month)

My condolences on your loss... Assuming you're either running Virtualbox or Fusions in seamless mode, or just saying **** it and using bootcamp so you have a USEFUL desktop OS?

deathshadow, Mar 6, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Nah, I'm actually running mostly OSX - I try to avoid using it for anyting but coding and regular internet usage / watching videos and stuff.
    Haven't really had time to look into running bootcamp or any other vm-based solution. It's an older macbook pro, only core 2, which I got for free, only reason I use it is because my default monstrosity of a laptop weighs a ton, has a fucked up battery and is more or less in a state of "I can't be bothered fixing it" atm. I am considering fixing up one of my old Thinkpad T61s, though :D

PoPSiCLe, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  3. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i love textwrangler and smultron for mac. Both are free,

olddocks, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  4. goneinsane

goneinsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do everything with OSX. Don't bother with bootcamp.

goneinsane, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  5. HCFGrizzly

HCFGrizzly Member

Best Answers:
    I don`t see Dreamweaver listed...I know, I know, some of you view it as more than a code editor and other view it as a crap WYSIWYG editor, and I know it`s not the best choice, but I started working on it years back and because I got used to it, it`s the best one for me.

HCFGrizzly, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Well... personal choice and all that, but seriously. If we're talking bloat, Dreamweaver has it in spades. Nor is it free (as far as I know?), and it has absolutely nothing to offer that other, slimmer, better, free alternatives haven't got. So it's fairly natural that it isn't here. Granted, as a pure text-editor, it's probably useable, but why would you want to bother with it when there is so much other crap being in the way? The WYSIWYG-abilities are a joke, the code-completion was never any good, the defaults are horrible, and so on and so forth.
    I do understand the whole "it's what I started with and I'm happy", but if you haven't tried anything else, and I mean actually tried making it work, then you haven't really had any other experience. It shouldn't really take long to "get used to" a text-editor. Most have more or less the same keyboard shortcuts; it's just a text-editor - nothing complicated.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Have you found a decent database management tool for osx. I tried and gave up - so used to the convenience of toad and sqlyog it's hard to go back to phpmyadmin

sarahk, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Nah, currently I'm using phpmyadmin, using Heidi SQL on my desktop if I need to do a bit more. Haven't really looked for a decent db manager.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    ... and ...
    Do you guys not bother TESTING or something? Not writing front end code at all? How are you testing for IE? How are you testing for differences in font rendering technologies? (or is this why people are sleazing crappy illegible webfonts on everything since they're already on crApples garbage rendering?)... how about that FF on OSuX quite often behaves nothing like it's Linsux / Winblows counterparts?

I mean, I'm using Winblows 8.1 and 10 as my host platforms, but I'm running VirtualBox with a hackintosh OSuX install and a Debian install to see the differences in platform behaviors -- which are quite often dramatic. You can't blindly trust that Apple's rubbish font rendering tech, browser that's aging like milk, OS that makes Winblows look secure (obscurity is not security), is going to behave like anything else... that's why you test... test, test again... and when you THINK you've tested enough, test one more time to be sure!

I mean, unless you guys aren't writing PHP that outputs HTML or something, but that kind-of defeats the point of using PHP.

Though admittedly, I'm a OS whore. To operating systems I am the town bicycle; everybody's had a ride. BeOS, Haiku, QNX, OpenSolaris, FreeBSD, around two thirds the linsux distros out there, OSX... OS/9, CP/M, CP/M-86, AIX, HP-UX, OS/360, zOs, NEXTSTEP, RISC OS, Baremetal, Menuet, SkyOS, AmigaOS, TOS, OS/2, Irix, Netware... List goes on and on.

Oh, the db manager thing? I've NEVER found one that wasn't absolute trash -- It's why I just either write some PHP to do what needs to be done for table manipulation, or I use the CLI. If anyone knows of one that can backup a large DB without screwing it up, that doesn't open up massive security holes (yes PhpMyAdmin, I'm looking at you) and allowed remote access, I'd love to hear some recommendations on that.

... and no, Java Crapplets or idiocy sleazed together in .NET need not apply.

deathshadow, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  10. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    I have a Windows-box at home (my main computer/desktop, and several laptops with different versions of software, all the way back to XP). Well, technically I _have_ a Win 3.11 box with IE 4 (or something like that?) on it, and good old Nyetscape, but that hasn't been up and running for a while.
    Nix-tests I'm usually just running via LiveCD, Ubuntu / Mint or something like that, to test.
    I do code on my Mac, but I spend just as much time coding on the Windows-box, hence any mistakes in rendering are usually quickly found and squashed. Granted, I should probably test a bit more in Safari, although I really can't understand people using that - much the same way I can't understand people using IE. Edge is better, but still...

Granted, @deathshadow, while I do understand the problems with fonts and vision and such, I'm not really bothing that much - my pages are fairly easy to manipulate, and if your eyesight is too shot, then you probably run it in high-contrast or something like that. Yes, I do understand that some people have trouble seeing certain shades or even colors, and particularly specific fonts on top of specific color background, which is why I usually keep to fairly plain, simple colors that are usually not part of some kind of color-blindness. (And yes, I know there are several types of color blindness, but there are also very different amounts of people affected).

When it comes to webfonts, if I use them, I use them on headings, maybe on certain warningsigns or such, normally not on main text.

As long as it works in IE 10, Edge, Chrome and Firefox, and doesn't look too horrible in Safari, I'm happy. If it also works for people using screen-readers, that's a bonus, of course. Note that currently I'm mostly coding a webpage for time-management / employee-management, where the chances are that there won't be many blind people using it. Hard to work as a hostess / server / bartender if you're blind. Not to mention manager, although that is of course a possibility.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 7, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  11. zinist

zinist Banned

Best Answers:
    I am Use Notepad++, It,s easy to use.....

zinist, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  12. strilok

strilok Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Netbeans and notepad++ are my favourite editors.

strilok, Mar 10, 2016 IP
  13. SEO Blakbelt

SEO Blakbelt Active Member

Best Answers:
    PHP Storm is best. Sublime is the next choice.

SEO Blakbelt, Mar 10, 2016 IP
  14. KewL

KewL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't right much PHP, but I always use sublime text regardless of the language. Tons of plugins, super quick, I'm used to all its auto indentation and close stuff, it'd be hard to switch.

I tried Atom the other day and it seems pretty cool. Its super slow though and doesn't do the auto close tag stuff :(

KewL, Mar 10, 2016 IP
  15. Nei

Nei Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have voted for "Other".

My choice - EditPlus 8)

Nei, Mar 16, 2016 IP
  16. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been a big fan of using phpDesigner 8 by mpsoftware. I've been using it for years, and it's never let me down. I used to be a big dreamweaver user, but I feel I outgrew it, and phpDesigner was something a friend introduced me to, and since then I've never really looked back from it

Grit., Mar 17, 2016 IP
  17. fehtrar

fehtrar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I currently use Atom but I prefer ST.

fehtrar, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  18. wakish

wakish Active Member

Best Answers:
    phpstorm hands-down.
    Once you tried phpstorm, there's not going back. I have used Netbeans, eclipse - but they come no where close to it.
    For non-IDE kind of task, that is simple things SublimeText is amazing.

wakish, Mar 22, 2016 IP
  19. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What do you like about PHPStorm that SublimeText lacks?

NetStar, Mar 26, 2016 IP
  20. heat23

heat23 Member

Best Answers:
    I've tried several of IDE's and text editors for PHP such as: Netbeans, Editplus, Sublime Text, Atom, PHP Storm, etc.

For Windows, I love using good ole Editplus with PHP syntax highlighting. I've tried using Netbeans and PHP Storm but they were too heavyweight for me plus I loved using the FTP integration in Editplus which allowed me to efficiently open/save files directly on my VPS webserver.

On the Mac, I use Atom with a few plugins to automatically apply coding standards, autocomplete, etc.

heat23, Apr 2, 2016 IP