1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pay with a tweet

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Iteration, Feb 14, 2016.

I'm wondering what peoples opinions are on implementing a system on your website where if people want to read your article they have to first tweet about your article using a wordpress plugin or something similar?

How would this affect your search rankings?

Would people do it in large enough numbers so you see an overall increase in traffic to compensate for the people who simply leave your site without tweeting as they don't want to be sharing your link on their personal social media profiles?

Iteration, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  2. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    One thing about this is, people tweet to recommend an article, it is weird that you have to pay before reading the article.

wisdomtool, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  3. Iteration

Iteration Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Possibly they can read the majority of an article and to finish reading it they have to tweet the link to access the remainder of the article.

Something to increase social sharing and hopefully drive more traffic than it loses.

Iteration, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I loathe and detest sites that make you like a post before you can read or finish reading it. Tweeting would be no different. Why would I tweet about something when I haven't had the opportunity to check that the entire article is tweet-worthy? Good way to destroy credibility.

On the rare occassion I've really wanted to find out more on the topic I've always been able to use Google to find another source of the info. You'd have to have something pretty damn intriguing and unique to keep me on your site.

sarahk, Feb 14, 2016 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  5. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with @sarahk
    We all have busy useless lives...
    We would all rather be some place else at all times.
    So you best have some disease solving solution if
    you expect someone to tweet you so they can see what
    is behind your curtain, and if it is not as good as
    you claim, then you just end up losing the visitor anyways...
    (then you just end up wasting everyone's time....)

I know one seo guru that does this, his videos are
    appealing enough so that you want to see what is
    behind the curtain, anyone less, I wouldnt waste my time.
    also note, he gets alot of traffic, and claims $5m/yr....
    and I believe almost every claim he makes... :)

If you are looking for social marketing, then I
    think you are better off using: linkcollider.com

dscurlock, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  6. Iteration

Iteration Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answers.

Same opinion from every source I have asked.

I might implement it for one or two competitions each year and leave all the articles open.

Iteration, Feb 16, 2016 IP
  7. Iteration

Iteration Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The vast majority of people don't share/tweet a link to an articles even if they think the content is top quality.

How can this be encouraged without making it mandatory to read the full article?

In a couple of my sites I invest a lot of my time into researching and writing on topics that are comprehensive and solve problems for a lot of people in a certain niche and even when they have followers/friends that would benefit from the content the reader still won't share.

What are you thoughts of asking people to share your content if they think it is good as they only way that you can continue to invest your time to supply them with this level of content is to grow your readership with their help. I haven't seen that done much and personally I am not a fan of adding this line to my articles.

I'm sure if I surveyed my readers if they think the content is share-worthy the majority will say yes but they still won't click the share button!

I understand, especially with Facebook, that its their personal social space to share pictures of their holidays and parties with their friends and not a place for a string of article links but with Twitter there seems to be more willingness to share interesting content however while almost all my readers have Facebook only about half have a twitter account.

I'm missing on on a lot of traffic as the following graphic shows:

[​IMG]

Iteration, Feb 20, 2016 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't really do youtube but I was watching something that really was excellent recently and my teenaged kids were watching too. I mentioned that I was astounded that the clip had millions of views but only ten thousand likes. As I clicked the like button my daughter said "don't do that" and it turns out that even though she's a youtube junkie she and her friends never "like" anything. To me it's a simple way to thank the creator. I don't necessarily share the clip but a like seems reasonable.

Another friend, my age, was commenting about how his newsfeed is filled with things I've liked and how if I see that he's liked something it means he really, really likes it. There's certainly an art to knowing how to like and comment that gives appropriate feedback to the poster (so they don't feel unvalued or ignored) without boring your friends silly.

sarahk, Feb 20, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. Gustavo Woltmann

Gustavo Woltmann Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you could let them read part of the article and then say they need to tweet/Like to continue reading like with some videos. Gustavo Woltmann

Gustavo Woltmann, Feb 20, 2016 IP
  10. Iteration

Iteration Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    From a marketing point of view I need the share/retweet to increase my unique visitors and maximise my revenue, not simply someone telling me they appreciate the effort that went into creating the content.

11. Iteration

Iteration Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Its an idea I'm researching but so far it seems to be disliked by the majority of people so I'm still trying to figure out an alternative method to increase social shares.

Studies have shown that the 18-25 year old demographic don't really want to engage with brands on Facebook unless they are going to win something tangible and don't really value good quality content as shareable.

These studies also show competitions where you have to share to be in with a chance of winning an iPod or some gadget have shown that the majority of people won't engage with the brand after this action and as such are a waste of time.

12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I know why you need it, but I'm trying to point out the users perspective. You need to find the sweet spot where both meet.

sarahk, Feb 20, 2016 IP
  13. Iteration

Iteration Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm trying to find that sweet spot but so far I haven't. I understand the user perspective but I'm looking for ways to break down their resistance without resorting to "retweet this for a chance to win an iPhone".

Iteration, Feb 22, 2016 IP
  14. Surge Calls

Surge Calls Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Putting a pop out tab to tweet before an individual reads the articles would create a lot of friction. People are less likely to tweet about something they haven't read yet and building traffic would be difficult because to the first point. Also, unless you website is the only source of information in relation to the niche you are targeting, individuals will most likely visit your competitors because of less friction.

Hope this helps.

Surge Calls, Feb 23, 2016 IP
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Did you explore with your daughter as to why she recommended that you not like the video? Just wondering what her and her friends' thinking is?

jrbiz, Feb 25, 2016 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It appears that 10am is too early for such philosophical discussions as she lies in bed with her mac air on her tummy no doubt watching youtube clips. Thank God uni starts next week! The best I could get is that everyone can see what you're watching and that the clip gets saved against your name (which I would have thought was a good thing in case you want to refer back to it).

sarahk, Feb 25, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, interesting. It's a bit of a privacy thing. I suppose a trail is a trail...

jrbiz, Feb 25, 2016 IP