1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to secure funding for a domain

Discussion in 'General Business' started by sigmass2004, Feb 12, 2016.

Many are involved in domain sales but only few make it big. I believe the difference is industry knowledge and contacts for branding gurus. You can make good money if you take it seriously and invest like do in any real estate. For example, identify high value name and buy it. If you don't have funding, I suggest you do like any other business borrow. Several sources exist to help you buy domain names using borrowed money e.g.
    - Find a co-founder to put in fund to develop the website
    - Domain co-ownership. Capitalize your domain by selling a stake to an outside invest. Domain can be held in escrow.
    - Conventional lending e.g.
    - lend.me
    - domaininvesting.com
    - lendvo.com

sigmass2004, Feb 12, 2016 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Huh? Wtf.... lol.. You don't need funding to buy a DOMAIN... If you are willing to give up a stake of your BUSINESS for a domain name you are clearly not going to be successful........ weird post. thanks? ...

NetStar, Feb 12, 2016 IP
  3. sigmass2004

sigmass2004 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My post makes sense for premium domains. For example something like shoes.com was landing page but now appears to a fully fledged business. Point is you can buy a premium domain and make money from domain price appreciation..I bought one and now consistently getting offers at 4X.

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There's a guy I did some checking on who owns thousands of domains in the hope that someone will want one of them. Some are dead ducks but he doesn't appear to reassess his portfolio. Unless his domain registrar is giving serious discounts on volume then his annual cost of holding those domains must be huge.

sarahk, Feb 12, 2016 IP
  5. sigmass2004

Best Answers:
    Agree..you have to evaluate your portfolio especially now that registrars like Godaddy are demanding more. On the hindsight I would be very happy if I purchased on LLL.com I could get about 10 years ago when they were 3k or less. Surely I would be laughing all the way to the bank. You can also get a loan for a premium names if you need to fund registration etc.

6. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I do not see how that would be much difference in godaddy snapping up domains, certainly they
    have to pay a fee also, right? As far as discounts, ive never seen any, however, maybe there
    is some process behind the curtain that we can not see. For those similar to godaddy that snap up
    domains, then they probably have a criteria for doing so..for instance, I let a domain expire that
    I should not have, it was somewhat easy to remember, and well over 10 years old, so some
    register got, now they are selling my former domain for like $1,000.00
    (and surely they paid a fee to get the domain)

I am still beating myself for letting it expire...
    but yea, when you have unused, non-profitable
    domains, then the cost adds up from one year to the next...

dscurlock, Feb 13, 2016 IP
  7. sigmass2004

Best Answers:
    Good point dscurlock. I bet you it's profitable otherwise registrars would not be doing it.

sigmass2004, Feb 13, 2016 IP