1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pointing domain to local server

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by trecords, Feb 5, 2016.

Hi,

I have difficulties to point my domain to home server. I have a router which sets static DHCP IP to my server (192.168.1.10). I use DD-WRT and enabled DMZ for ip address 192.168.1.10. Then my external IP is 93.111.11.93 which I can access my server from external network. No setup have been done on server.
    My domain is mydomain.com where as ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com is pointed to 93.111.11.93 and nameservers are also its own like: ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

none of ns1,ns2 and domain is pointing to server :S domain lookup resolves my local server static IP which is mentioned above 192.168.1.10.

Please advise how to setup network correctly, I us webmin on debian and dd-wrt server. domain have 2 A records ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com poiting to my external IP 93.111.11.93.

I will highly appreciate your help on this matter.

Regards,
    Turkel.

trecords, Feb 5, 2016 IP
  2. trecords

trecords Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My other domain which is pointed to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com working :
    http://wwdrop.com

trecords, Feb 5, 2016 IP
  3. th.sigit

th.sigit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did you get it working yet?

If not, try to clear your computer's DNS cache. If you're on Windows, type the following onto a terminal and enter:
    If you're on Linux, there seems to be various ways to do that, you can search on the following keywords "clear dns cache linux"

th.sigit, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  4. EhsanCh

EhsanCh Member

Best Answers:
    What NameServer is set in your domain ?
    You must setup an A record in your DNS server for "@" and "www" address to point to "192.168.1.10"
    If mydomain.com NemeServer are set to ns1 & ns2.mydomain.com , then you have to run a DNS server in 93.111.11.93 and add DNS record to it.

Or simply you can use a third party DNS service (like freedns.afraid.org , cloudns.net or namechap free dns) , and set theid NS in your domain and use their control panel to define dns record and your domain to your local ip.

This is how domain will be resolved when you type it in browser :
    1- your isp get domain NameServers
    2- it then resolve NS ips ,
    3- it ask NS ips for your domain ip .

i.e when we type www.google.com , our isp get NS1.google.com , ... , then will ask NS1.google.com what is ip of www.google.com and it will say ip for A record for www address in google.com ,

Although this was simple steps and in real word , there are some other steps like dns caching and ... that it is not necessary for your question.
    There is more infomation here : http://blog.catchpoint.com/2014/07/01/dns-lookup-domain-name-ip-address/

EhsanCh, Feb 22, 2016 IP