1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get a new forum moving ?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by MoneyPlanters, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Apantic

Apantic Member

Best Answers:
    So say content is being made, valuable content, we have a few posters actively posting, now what? How do we get more members? We've been working on our forum quite a bit but we never seem to get actual attention (like legitimate views). Where do we get those from? What kind of ways get a user to sign up comes after that, but first how do we get potential members? How do we turn those into members? We have a lot of content but only about 10 users actively posting, we can never seem to get more.

Apantic, May 3, 2015 IP
  2. Dr. Carey Nathan

Dr. Carey Nathan Guest

Best Answers:
    I got army of US based writers. Are you willing to pay between $0.15 - $0.25 per post / reply or even custom payment? They will do outstanding job. They are not some bimbos claiming to speak English and screw you over. Some are dropping 200 words of hand written text. They are very knowledgeable.

I am 2 months away from building a platform in ASAP.NET and mobile to offer admin of all that in one stop shop. PM me with your details and I will let you know as soon as I am done with the software.

Your call.

Dr. Carey Nathan, Feb 8, 2016 IP
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Did you check out the op's website before posting?

Very much doubt he is interested.

matt_62, Feb 8, 2016 IP
  4. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    oh, hey look. I was right. :(
    [​IMG]

matt_62, Feb 8, 2016 IP
    Agent000 likes this.
  5. Dr. Carey Nathan

Dr. Carey Nathan Guest

Best Answers:
    @matt_62 are you a reality check kind of person or trying to be the judge here? If you got something to offer, you are in the right place. Nobody needs your opinion.

Dr. Carey Nathan, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This isn't a buy/sell-forum, so @matt_62 is DEFINITELY in the right forum, and his opinion is definitely on point. YOURS, on the other hand, isn't quite up to scratch.
    When are people gonna understand that content-writers DOES NOT WORK. Sorry, but unless you have a LOT of money, you get crap content. Whether a forum, or community, lives, is based 100% on the actual, real-life users of the site. Take this forum, for instance. If you look at the tech-subforums, there are less than 100 people actually contributing (there are a lot of people asking questions, but most of them just ask a few questions, at most, then when they get answers, they disappear again). Even thus, this forum is quite famous, and has a good standing - because people know they can get help here. This is true for almost any niche, any sub-culture, any forum. Given that "content writers" rarely have a clue about the topic they're trying to write content for, what they write usually (99% of the time) sucks. The last 1% might be decent enough language, perhaps even almost on the right track content-wise, but since there's rarely a follow up, or any lingering knowledge behind the post, there is really no point.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 9, 2016 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  7. Dr. Carey Nathan

Dr. Carey Nathan Guest

Best Answers:
    I run forums and I pay writers. You must have DEEP pockets to make it somewhere. I am anticipating that I will need at least a year and about $30,000 budget just to get somewhere...

matt_62 likes this.
  8. tastysites

tastysites Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    awww, that is sad.

Forums are tough. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never run one. :(

tastysites, Feb 9, 2016 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  9. Dr. Carey Nathan

Dr. Carey Nathan Guest

Best Answers:
    Forums are CRAZY... You need patience and following. If you can hang on for a year or two, you get the reward. For the most people, well, just like any business, it is a train wreck. I see so many go out of business, losing their shirt and all savings without making a dime back.... Happens to the best of us 2...

10. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the people here are either looking for advice, or salespeople. I too sell IT related services to people, which puts me in both categories. I actually profit if people take my services, regardless of if they go bankrupt after a year.

Here is a favorite quote of mine from Warren Buffet. “Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.” Barbers have opinions, but are also employed by selling their services. Often their opinion, may be biased....

I guarantee the OP would have been flooded with the same people that use to flood my inbox, essentially with promises of near instant wealth if they paid for their services.
    My advice, while negative, will never impact on someone with a proper business plan. It is a chance for people to review where they are, their budget, and even say; "ok, lets partner up with someone that really has experience in making one work". OR they then step back and review and research and say, "ok, I really need more funds to make this work, and its more then I can afford to risk/invest at this time and I will cut my losses and put my time and energy into something more profitable."

I have seen so much failure, and it does pain me when I see people lose a fortune, people that should never have started in the first place.

Anyone that thinks $10 for a domain, + free hosting, + free forum + free theme + minimum work= big overnight $$$$$, shouldnt be doing business online. YET, I have seen guides on how to do business and earn, and its "essentially" the above advice. The person writing it, encouraging people to go into business NEEDS to earn money. If 1000 newbies decided to start a new forum, even with no chance of success, the people here will be rejoicing. Hell, I could buy the motorbike I wanted if they signed up with me for my services.

I like the way you said that, that is fantastic advice that people starting forums NEED TO READ. I have seen many people start forums and fail, and one guy in particular on digitalpoint lost over $1000, money he had NOT factored in, and money he could NOT afford to spend. He did explain his failure in a great deal of detail, and it became almost like gambling. So much tied up into it, that he had to keep pouring funds into it, which made it harder and harder to stop. Everyone kept telling him their opinion on how great his idea was in order to sell their services. Everyone would have kept telling him to keep going. Eventually he just completely ran out of funds.
    Your advice,(to paraphrase), of approx $30k and 12 months, might have saved this guy from losing what he could not afford.

matt_62, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  11. Dr. Carey Nathan

Dr. Carey Nathan Guest

Best Answers:
    @mattt_62 appreciate it! Yes with $1,000 probably 15 years ago, you would become Craigslist and make 100 million. Today you need to waste $100,000 to transition from nobody to a small tiny site maybe with few visitors here and there. Paying writers for posting and engaging in conversation is one side, you also need link building which cost money and I am not saying paying for links, just paying writers to write content and posting this content.. oh and also, your time, you must be willing to work 12 hours days 7 days a week, that becomes your life. I stay home and work from home, but I am not home. I sit and work all day long, 7 days a week. That's life...