1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can Outside Navigation Be Done In Wordpress?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by phaze3131, Feb 8, 2016.

I really like this guys site, and I'm very curious if this type of outside navigation can be done in wordpress.

Like how it has transition animations from page to page, it never really loads a new page like in wordpress.

http://www.danielspatzek.com

If you think it can't be done, are there specific limitations you can point out as to why?

thanks so much for any help guys!

phaze3131, Feb 8, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, it can be done, it's probably made with fairly simple ajax-calls, and transition-animations. In modern browsers you could probably be doing quite a lot of this via pure CSS. It would involve a quite limited theme for WP, though (in other words, if this is all you're gonna do, why use WP at all?) - since you wouldn't be able to just add to it (well, maybe, but it would make navigation confusing and complicated).
    But making something that works like the page you linked to, isn't too hard, WP or no WP.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  3. phaze3131

phaze3131 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ty so much for the help, yea I'm going to go a custom route I think, based on what you say and what I've researched.

phaze3131, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Probably wiser. WP do have its benefits, but it's mostly if you're gonna publish new content continuously - ie, if not every day, at least every week, and keep a fairly common look to it. The admin-interface is fairly easy to come to grips with, and publishing and creating content is quite simple. However, with a limited set of pages, and more "fancy" animations and navigation, I would suggest just making the pages up from scratch - it will probably be an easier and quicker route, as long as you know what you're doing, at least, when it comes to HTML / CSS.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  5. phaze3131

phaze3131 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much again Popsicle :)
    Question, maybe you might have an idea. If the example site is really just using a 1 page design:
    http://www.danielspatzek.com

How does he get it to rename the URL so it appears to be separate pages?

phaze3131, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    He pushes content to the url when something is clicked. It's a fairly common way to change the specific url when using ajax, so if you load the specific url, you get the content you expect instead of the default starting content. Have a look here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/History_API

PoPSiCLe, Feb 11, 2016 IP