1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Data collection happening for 1 view only

Discussion in 'Better Analytics' started by menofdesire, Feb 2, 2016.

Well data is being collected for my new wordpress website, but just for one view:

[​IMG]

This is the view that I have selected in the API section called Profile Used For Reporting. Should I just leave that option on "please pick a profile"?

Will that send the data to all the views?

Thanks for a great plugin :)

menofdesire, Feb 2, 2016 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There's nothing in the plugin that would *prevent* data from going to all views. You will need to look at how you defined your views exactly to see why it's filtering out data. Without being able to see how you defined your view filters, I can't really be of much assistance there.

digitalpoint, Feb 2, 2016 IP
  3. menofdesire

menofdesire Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have no filters setup in any of the views.

Looking into the data I found that the 1 visit showing in all the views is dated 1st Feb and the "all website data view" is showing data from before and after that date. The one visit is a referral click from a test email campaign I sent out (my own test click actually) and the rest of the data showing in the "all website data view" is direct/none source/medium.

Does that help?

PS: I can't save the options under the API section of the plugin without choosing a profile.

PPS: I really don't think that having cloudflare active on my site could be a reason for this issue ... Could it?

4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What is your site URL?

5. menofdesire

menofdesire Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have sent you the site URL as a PM

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Data is definitely being sent to Google Analytics when you visit that site. You might want to triple check to make sure you are sending it to the correct Analytics property.

Also, have you tried running a report that includes "today"?

7. menofdesire

menofdesire Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well data isn't available for today, but here's the data for yesterday (I'm in the UMT +5:30 India timezone):

[​IMG]

I think the problem isn't with the plugin or the server at all, it might be that I'm not configuring the options correctly. I say that because I looked at the the google analytics account for a site I started a few months ago and found this:

[​IMG]

Do you have a help file for this plugin in which I can learn how to set it up properly?

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The defaults are pretty well setup. There really isn't a way to "break" it from within the plugin settings. Like I said, when visiting your site, if you look at the underlying network traffic, you can see the analytics data being sent to Google. Really the only thing that could be messed up in the settings would be if you set the wrong web property (then data would be sent to the wrong site in Google Analytics).

Strange you can't get data for today. Maybe they lag it for Indian users for some reason? Here, you can set the date to include today and see near realtime data.

On a side note - what are you doing with all these views? Are you actually *using* them for something?

9. menofdesire

menofdesire Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Agreed, the data is being sent to google and it is being sent to the correct property. I looked at the Admin settings in GA and I couldn't find any way where I could have accidentally "broken" things either.

The only thing that I think is the key to all of this is this setting here:

[​IMG]

I know views used to be called profiles earlier in GA, but why must I choose just one for reporting?

I use all these views because the GA training asks people to create 3 different views because data cannot be re-processed in GA. The test view is where you test various view related settings, if they check out then you apply them to the master view which is well, the master view and the unfiltered view exists just so you can have access to all the unfiltered data in case you ever need it.
    The All website data is another backup I create for the unfiltered view, maybe because I'm a little paranoid and every time I try to create a USER ID session unification (Property>Tracking info>USER ID) in a brand new GA account, it asks me to create a USER ID view. Since I'm not sure how that works (didn't find the time yet to learn about it), I just create a USER ID view just so I can have the data if I ever need it. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if the plugin supports this:

[​IMG]

And we get real time data in India too :)
    Lolz ... I said the data isn't available because it wasn't available on the Home screen from where I was taking the snapshots :)

I guess I could take a snapshot of the real time stats as well but since the site is not launched, I'm not expecting anyone to be browsing the site anyways. Still, lemme know if you want to see that snapshot.

menofdesire, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can only report on one view because that's just how Google Analytics works. Same as with the normal reporting on their website. You can't run a single report with multiple views.

As far as why your filtered views aren't showing data, you probably are going to need to ask someone at Google that. The plugin is sending data to Google Analytics, but we have no control after that. And we also can't see how you are filtering data with your views (that's probably the real issue here).

Truthfully, if you have a bunch of views because someone told you to, but beyond that you don't use them, I wouldn't even have them. Unless you are using them for something specific, I'd just have the one that includes all data.

digitalpoint, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  11. menofdesire

menofdesire Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't have any filters setup at all. In any views.

And the way that I see it, is that you would use an account to manage web and app properties for many company. Each property would correspond to a website or app on one company only. Inside any property you can setup views based on how you want to, view your data.

I think the GA code allows for data to be sent to the whole property, not just a view. The view is there to change how the data looks. If the data were to be sent just to a view, there would be no point in having the concept of multiple views at all.

So if in your plugin one could send data to a property instead of a view, this issue would have not come up.

I'm not complaining. The plugin is great and allows me to collect a lot of useful data, but I would still like to use multiple views. If google recommends having multiple views in their official GA training, it's a good enough reason for me to set things up that way.

Here's hoping that the next version of the plugin will allow data to be sent to entire property.

Thanks for the support :)

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's exactly how it works... There is no way to send data to a view even if you wanted to. Data goes to a web property always.

13. menofdesire

menofdesire Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ok ...

Would you take a look at my analytics account and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'll create an account for you and message you the login details ...

14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Truthfully, you probably want to ask someone in Google Analytics support. Like I said, the only thing I can check is if data is flowing to your web property (which it is). If you have changed setting on your web property, you probably want to check those settings. If you don't know what you are doing, you can create filters that filter everything out for example.