1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Wordpress Theme Website?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Sycrid, Dec 27, 2015.

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a website that has free wordpress themes. Ones that are not riddled with advertisements and have a zero cost. Does any one know of any?

I'm looking for something other than wordpress.com or wordpress.org, as I'm not a designer and I just want a relatively clean and nicely designed theme, I can mod to my needs.

Regards,
    Sycrid.

Solved! View solution.
    Sycrid, Dec 27, 2015 IP
  2. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    giorgioarmani, Dec 27, 2015 IP
    Anytime I see "best" and "Wordpress" in the same title I have to look around to see what planet I am on.

If you think you are going to find free third party code that gives you that then you need to quit doing whatever drugs you are on. If you start with WP your chances of doing a site of some value is pretty close to zero, and using a free theme from some wannabe developer just makes thins worse. 90% of the third party stuff is trash and about 20% contains malware.

If you are going to do web development, then develop. Developers write code wannabes and dilettantes pose with a load of mediocre crap that they think is art. If the site has any importance to you, then you should be prepared to do the work to make it significant. If it is not important to you then find another hobby instead of dumping more WP junk on the internet.

COBOLdinosaur, Dec 29, 2015 IP
    deathshadow and Sycrid like this.
  4. Duongdx

Duongdx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress used very prevalent, most are using wordpress blog.

Duongdx, Dec 30, 2015 IP
  5. ALS101

ALS101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I used free wordpress themes for about 6 months when I first started to design WP sites. They are OK but I would strongly advise you if you can afford it to buy a premium theme that suits your needs or a membership of a theme site. Good paid themes have excellent support and are fast to update any security upgrades and bug fixes.

I have bought into several but my favourite theme site is Elegant Themes where you can have 87 premade themes and a theme called Divi which has a builder that you can use to create a site from scratch pretty much to any design you wish.

ALS101, Jan 3, 2016 IP
  6. HCFGrizzly

HCFGrizzly Member

Best Answers:
    Here is an article that contains 50 free templates:

https://colorlib.com/wp/free-wordpress-themes/

But as someone suggested above, if you can, you should write your own code or at least take the default theme and modify it to suit your needs. I don`t think you want to realize you just installed a theme that is full of malware

HCFGrizzly, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  7. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, I've decided to use the free based ones for the moment and also follow COBOLdinosaurs advice. No idea how complex it will be to develop, but I guess I'm venturing back into website development... maybe I'll learn something...

Sycrid, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  8. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been programming computers in one form or another for over 50 years; across hundreds of technology changes. I learn something new everyday and I have never considered doing anything else but train machines to do stuff. The biggest learning moments come from mistakes. Playing the cautious game and relying on code written by others does not teach much except bad practice and a lot of curse words as you try to make crap smell like roses.

The best moments in any form of software development is that moment when you realize you have mastered a new technology that you thought you might never be able to learn. Using third party code is generally frustrating, unrewarding, and really booooorrring. When you are actually creating your own work it is never boring. Sometimes it is difficult, but that is why it feels so good when you make the damn thing work.

COBOLdinosaur, Jan 7, 2016 IP
  9. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I blame the theme authors for the majority of the crap. WP is a reasonable and extensible blogging software. Is it the right way to go for a mercantile site? Maybe as a starter site, but not as a truly well designed (technically) business application.

That said, I just did help someone with a mercantile site that should have been (and was for me; thank you, firebug) a simple re-adjustment of layout. The theme's author(s) saw fit to have many of the same elements' rule sets in multiple style sheets. Dumb.

On the grasping hand, I regularly read a science oriented blog that is fast loading and easy reading. The owner uses a fairly simple theme and doesn't try to trick it up, though he is probably quite capable, as he develops weather instrumentation and software for the television industry. His site recently passed the quarter-billion mark in views.

Just a thought,

gary

kk5st, Jan 8, 2016 IP
  10. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    We can agree on that. The problem come with trying to make it a complete CMS for general web development built on blogging software architecture. While it is true that most of the crap comes from theme and plugin developers; WP is still culpable for not having some kind of basic certification process, and continuing to accept anything that can be fit into the insecure pipe architecture they continue to use so it is easy to build WP themes containing malware.

COBOLdinosaur, Jan 8, 2016 IP
  11. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am reminded of the mechanic who goes to the tool shed. "Gimme a wrench," sez he.

"What size?" sez the tool clerk.

"A big one."

The tool clerk is puzzled, "But what size nut does it need to fit?"

"It don't need to fit nothin', I'm gonna use it as a hammer."

Welcome to WordPress.

gary

kk5st, Jan 8, 2016 IP
    COBOLdinosaur and PoPSiCLe like this.
  12. shophia

shophia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello there,
    In case you're searching for a huge amount of imaginative layout and foundations for your new venture or require something new in your library, then this group is only the thing you're looking for.
    - https://colorlib.com/wp/free-wordpress-themes/
    - http://themegrill.com/themes/
    - http://www.wpexplorer.com/top-free-themes/

It is a spotless and present day format of WordPress.
    We're certain that you will be satisfied when you utilize it for your next task!
    Thank!

shophia, Jan 22, 2016 IP
  13. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    BULLSHIT! It is a train wreck of developer ineptitude that only continues to exist and grow thanks to the ignorance of the hicks, rubes and nubes DUMB ENOUGH into being duped into thinking it does anything of value. From the ignorant garbage it vomits up and has the set of brass to call markup by default, to the endless pointless "JS for nothing", to its "insecure BY DESIGN" PHP codebase, it is a laundry-list of how NOT to develop websites if you care about efficiency, scalability or accessibility.

It is at best a crutch for people who to be brutally frank, probably shouldn't have websites in the first place. I have NEVER seen a site built in turdpress that was worth a damn and wasn't a utter and complete disaster from an accessibility, graceful degradation or speed point of view!

Just look at the idiotic halfwit bloated ineptly developed CRAP people have linked to in this thread for proof of that. It is quite clearly made for people who know nothing about websites, BY people who know nothing about websites!

Seriously, can anyone link me to an example of a turdpress website that doesn't inhale upon the proverbial equine of short stature? I've NEVER seen one, and when I post this question it just gets ignored/avoided!

It's like walking into a health food store and asking if they have anything that tastes good.

deathshadow, Jan 22, 2016 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  14. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    JUST to illustrate the point, let's look at some of the offerings @shophia linked to in their broken Engrish moist goodry post...

When the site these themes are ON is an inaccessible buggy broken train wreck of how NOT to buid a website, featuring absurdly undersized fixed metric fonts sending non 96dpi users diving for the zoom, takes well over a minute to load thanks to the batshit INSANE 12 megabytes in 125 separate files, has the actual links to the templates in illegible colour contrasts, serif fonts in sizes too small to render clearly, and generally reeks top to bottom of "WCAG, what's that?!?" are we REALLY supposed to think they templates they offer are worth anything? Hell, FREE is overcharging for those!

Even setting aside the ridiculous file sizes, the file count ALONE means a real world first-load handshake time REGARDLESS of connection speed ranging from 24 seconds MINIMUM to two minutes or more!

You dive into the themes like Activello, Dazzling, Travilify -- they all repeat these same ignorance halfwit incompetent DUMBASS {running out of polite insults for stupid and too lazy to get the thesaurus out} nonsense are poster children for everything WRONG with web development today.

In that oh so special:

<div class="collapse navbar-collapse navbar-ex1-collapse"><ul id="menu-all-pages" class="nav navbar-nav"><li id="menu-item-1636" class="menu-item menu-item-type-custom menu-item-object-custom current-menu-item current_page_item menu-item-home menu-item-1636 active"><a title="Home" href="https://colorlib.com/dazzling/">Home</a></li>
    Code (markup):
    "If you don't know what's wrong with this then you likely have ZERO huffing business making websites!" kind of way... and when I say special, I mean in the same way some Olympics are special.

Site itself is a little better as it at least puts the content front and center, but still REEKS of "Accessibility, what does that mean" and an utter/complete ignorance of UI design or UX. The templates offered are universally as big a steaming pile of halfwit inept BS created by people who have no damned business making websites!

See such stunning gems as presentational images in the markup,endless pointless classes for nothing, broken/incomplete forms, and a general ignorance of how to even use HTML in the first place common to every blasted theme I open there.

... yet ANOTHER stunning example of the website hosting the themes being so ignorant of accessibility norms and how to use HTML properly that we're supposed to think ANYTHING they offer is worth "free"? As with the other two sites "free" in this case is overpriced thanks to artsy fartsy bullshit and developer ineptitude of the highest order!

EVERY SINGLE BLASTED TEMPLATE on all three of those sites lather-rinse-repeat the same ignorant mistakes. 90% of which I outlined quite clearly here:
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/article/whats_wrong_with_YOUR_website_index

If it's in that article, the halfwit morons DUMB ENOUGH to be using turdpress are probably doing it and the ignorant fools duped into using it end up saddled with.

... and saddled is indeed the appropriate term since starting out with appearance BEFORE you have content of value marked up semantically is back-assward, putting the cart before the horse, and an indication that the site owner had someone slap the saddle on their back to take them for a ride.

Which is why I consider all the jackasses who promote and trade in off the shelf CMS and off the shelf templates to be sleazy scam artists or ignorant rubes -- NONE of whom know enough HTML, CSS, JavaScript, emissive colourspace, or accessibility to be designing but two things; and Jack left town.

Every last blasted one of these sleazeball scams reeks of a giant middle finger to usability and accessibility, much less competent coding and development.

deathshadow, Jan 22, 2016 IP
    HCFGrizzly likes this.
  15. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    Were those links to themes posted as a joke, or is @shophia applying for a job as a garbage collector. Actually those collection of liquid manure would probably be reject by most landfills as toxic waste. I don't know how any self-respecting developer could even look at most of that crap without puking.

COBOLdinosaur, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  16. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Sadly that's what most of the industry right now considers to be "quality" work. There's a reason I call the majority of fools calling themselves "designers" so misinformed and mentally ill-equipped to be designing a blasted thing.

It's bordering upon a mass delusion akin to other bits of mouth-breathing asshat bits of societal stupidity like foodies, anti-vaxxers, homeopaths, pseudo-science quackery, people of faith, and Trump supporters.

deathshadow, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  17. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    Go easy on Trump supporters. Those with single digit IQs need someone they can relate to, and Trump has that special something they find attractive (I think it is the hairpiece).

COBOLdinosaur, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  18. VerdinaNET

VerdinaNET Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can allways use the free themes that come with wordpress and you can find free ones out there too.But a premium designed theme i think will help you out a lot and they start at around 40$ that has allready the features you are looking to build and minimize your work time.

VerdinaNET, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  19. designstreet

designstreet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Pratico is a very nice one.. you download it free very simply...and its very easy to customize it..

designstreet, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  20. drues1986

drues1986 Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you want ecomerce theme then porto is best, but if you want blog theme then sahifa is the best theme.

drues1986, Feb 3, 2016 IP