1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any Samsung experts out there?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrbiz, Jan 23, 2016.

So, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I like and it meets my needs. The past couple of days, it has been getting very hot and the battery seems to be losing its power more quickly. Obviously, the battery has gone bad. The question I have is whether I should just try to buy a new battery or is it likely that the phone, itself, is also shot as a result? Would hate to buy a new battery only to find out that the phone is gone, too. Any advice?

jrbiz, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    A new battery cost a few dollars. It's a cheap check to see if it's only the battery. The phone might of course be on its last legs, but the cost of a new battery is so low, it's probably cheaper to buy a new one and test it yourself, than say have a repair shop test it for you). A new battery on eBay is less than $5

PoPSiCLe, Jan 23, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. That approach makes sense. I am going to see if I can pick one up tomorrow at Best Buy or a phone store.

jrbiz, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Final Update: Best Buy does not carry phone batteries. They suggested the small cellphone repair shop in our local mall. I had these guys replace my screen recently as I had dropped the phone and cracked it. Anyway, they did carry batteries so I paid an outrageous amount to "have it now" as my new day job is taking 11-12 hours per day, so I have no time for this type of thing and needed the battery "now." They did remove the bubble from my screen that had developed since they installed it for me at no charge. However, they were quick to mention that not all thermal issues are the fault of the battery. Stay tuned on that...

jrbiz, Jan 24, 2016 IP
  5. Ethan Lewis

Ethan Lewis Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am an expert in mobile hardware and software and i have got a course in both of them. So i am 100% sure that your mobile hardware (Mother board) main ic or power ic is short circuit. Your battery is fine. So check your hardware.
    Thanks.

Ethan Lewis, Jan 24, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your input. The new battery seemed to work yesterday, but if you are correct, I will continue to see overheating and fast battery discharging in the days ahead. Will keep you posted if things change.

jrbiz, Jan 25, 2016 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you were absolutely correct. The phone continues to overheat and is now doing strange things, as well. New phone has been ordered and is on its way! Thanks again for your input.

Tell me something: I just bought a duplicate Samsung S4 Galaxy. Will I be able to swap in the old SIM card and basically have my contacts, email accounts, display preferences, wifi connections, etc., just transfer over seamlessly or is that just a fantasy on my part? :)

jrbiz, Jan 28, 2016 IP
  8. Alvina Andrea

Alvina Andrea Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Same situation with me but i change my charger because when ever i put the charger pin in my mobile in few moment my mobile is heat up. Change your charger.

Alvina Andrea, Jan 28, 2016 IP
  9. maxmaurya

maxmaurya Member

Best Answers:
    create a backup on your old phone then copied it to new one and restore it. this worked for me(Micromax Canvas5 - E481).
    forgive me for bad English

maxmaurya, Feb 3, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, did that and the new phone also started showing heat related problems. I am sending the new one back and going to try a refurb S5 in the hopes that it does not have the heat problem. Stay tuned...

jrbiz, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    omg, omg, omg. use your phone properly!
    The whole point of smart phones is that your phone doesn't actually hold the only copy of any information

Your default contact list should be in Google - even if you don't use it routinely. Your phone should be logged into Google. Therefore when you setup the new phone you can backup, but your contact list will be up to the minute accurate rather than just using your backup.

sarahk, Feb 3, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Will do this for the next round. Just ordered a refurb S5 and it should arrive in a couple of days. Would this also work for my many email accounts and not having to re-set them manually every time?

jrbiz, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I do actually use gmail and all my email accounts go through that. So I ditch the mail apps on both ios and android and use the gmail app - I get the signatures I want regardless of device, only one setup for mail and one setup for contacts. #doneinajiffy

sarahk, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Final update (I hope)...I got the S5 and it is great. Battery is lasting much longer and no overheating issues, etc., that I had with the multiple S4's. Everything, contacts, text threads, etc., were automatically transferred over. I did have to set up manually each and every email address (some are Exchange, some Google Mail, some just regular old POP accounts, etc.) but I did it pretty quickly. Very happy with the S5 and hope that it lasts a long time...thanks to all for comments/assistance. #justwantaphonethatcallsemailstexts

jrbiz, Feb 12, 2016 IP