1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quality Ways To Promote My Humor Site?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Captain_Ambiguous, Jan 1, 2016.

I knew when I started evilname.net in November that it probably wouldn't be an instant hit. However I knew that if I kept building content I'd eventually have a huge site with greater potential. The scheme is mostly built around creating funny images that have the site tagline in them, so that theoretically as they get shared out on forums and social media they'll act as banner ads for me.

So far no progress. My site counter only identified 1 visitor besides the Google Bot, and that was some guy from the Philippines :p

I'm steadily building a Twitter following (for about a week now) but I'm aware that many of the people following me are also following thousands of other people. So it's difficult to say how much impact that will have in the long run.

I posted a few images to Reddit, but that was like pissing into a waterfall.

Just started to look into link exchanges and whatnot, but again I have 0 traffic to offer them in return.

Fortunately the site doesn't cost much to upkeep, and I'm by no means giving up, but it would sure be nice to have at least one visitor here and there. What are some other ways to jump start this? Thanks.

Captain_Ambiguous, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  2. Tahity

Tahity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just try to buy some pop-ups and if the content is engaging your users will end up sharing your content on social media and you will start building up some traffic your way

Tahity, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  3. Durell

Durell Peon

Best Answers:
    Try instagram. You can comment and like photos to get people to follow you or buy followers. Have your site on the photos you share and in your bio. Share the photos using hashtags and you can also buy traffic to get even more people coming to your site. Good luck!

Durell, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Your content appears to be original which is impressive in that genre. Your big challenge, as noted, is getting traffic. Are there comedy forums which will give you a signature link? and will let you post your jokes?

I only follow one humour site - commitstrip - and I don't go to their site, I rely on facebook to give me my daily hit but to view today's comic I do have to go through to their site. Letting people like your facebook page will drive return traffic - after all there are so many funny sites out there that there's no real need for visitors to remember the ones they like, if they feel like killing time they can just do a search. By turning up in their newsfeed you have a way of pulling them back.

sarahk, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  5. alvinperez

alvinperez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    starting posting on social sites, it will help you to get visitors

alvinperez, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  6. Captain_Ambiguous

Captain_Ambiguous Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I try to stand out. You made a good point about Facebook, and so I've now created an Evilname Facebook page. Hopefully it takes off.

As for forums, it seems like every time I find a humor forum on Google it turns out they only get posts every couple of months. I suspect Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit have monopolized internet humor. However maybe I can post in the "other" and "off topic" sections of other successful forums. I'll look into it.

Captain_Ambiguous, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  7. EPol83

EPol83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your adding content you can optimize that content and then do some backlinking with different anchor text. Create a plan like a structure for your business and use junks of time throughout the day to complete activities.

EPol83, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  8. wwstewart

wwstewart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Social media is your friend. Especially Reddit for funny images. Also...do you know if you're showing up in Google/Bing/Yahoo? If you're not, it might not hurt to get on their Webmaster tools sites and get your page indexed.

wwstewart, Jan 3, 2016 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I get jokes and humor newsletters delivered to my email inbox every day. They seem to support themselves with newsletter advertising. You may want to consider strategies for building up a newsletter list and a loyal following that way.

jrbiz, Jan 5, 2016 IP
  10. briguy

briguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pinterest is another good image site especially if your "pins" also appear on Twitter snd FB, you have that sharing option on that site.

briguy, Jan 7, 2016 IP