1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I made a mistake

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Eneiy1, Dec 23, 2015.

If i could see this thread here before, i wouldn't do such stupid thing! I clicked the adf.ly links!!!!!And right now, my Chrome is so so so slow!! And my homepage is somehow changed to adf.ly and many ads flood the Chrome!!!!!! I did a google "adf.ly" on another laptop and got some pages describing adf.ly issue as mine. Can you show me how to solve this problem?

Eneiy1, Dec 23, 2015 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Do you know how to change the homepage in your browser? It's really quite straight forward.
    Run some good virus checks over your computer.

sarahk, Dec 23, 2015 IP
  3. Zirkon Kalti

Zirkon Kalti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Uninstall Chrome from your computer and start using Mozilla Firefox.

Zirkon Kalti, Dec 23, 2015 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Or this is what I did when my step-son's Chrome got infected. I uninstalled it, ran CCleaner, restarted the laptop and installed Chrome again.

qwikad.com, Dec 24, 2015 IP
  5. gs412

gs412 Member

Best Answers:
    perhaps not because of the link

gs412, Dec 24, 2015 IP
  6. Luwis

Luwis Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You just clicked the link and got virus infected without install anything?
    If many ads flood the Chrome, your Chrome got infected. But it’s usually happens when installing a program/application.
    Try to uninstall the Chrome, download new Chrome and then installed. Hopefully, your problem is solved.

Luwis, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Seriously? You think that would be enough? You've obviously never had to do it.

The action you need to take all depends on if it's whitesmoke or something more sinister but after doing all the regular cleaning steps you may have to do a simple file and registry search.

sarahk, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  8. Jeremy Francis

Jeremy Francis Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Try installing adwcleaner... works like a charm for such issues!

Jeremy Francis, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  9. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Run Kaspersky Rescue disk - free to download. It can be used either via burning it to a CD/DVD, or using the link found here: http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/02/make-a-bootable-usb-kaspersky-rescue-disk-10/, create a bootable USB if you do not have a CD-ROM drive on your computer.
    You boot from the media, run through the scan (after updating - it usually finds the most common wifi-connections, but you might have to connect with a network-cable to get Internet) and you should be fine. You might have to do some manual cleaning of Chrome afterwards, like redo the home page and such, but that are minor inconveniences.
    I would also suggest running Malwarebyttes Anti-Malware Kit (the free version is more than good enough).

PoPSiCLe, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  10. Karri

Karri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can't show you how to solve it before I know the issue. It sounds like malware/adware. First run a full scan with anti-virus, then one for adware. I recommend spybot search and destroy, been using it for as long as it has existed, and it works quite fine. You can also do quite an easy check, which might even fix the problem without the other steps: open chrome, go to options-settings-extensions and disable everything if necessary.

I had a similar issue not too long ago. Bought this brand new Alienware computer for quarter of the list price, wondered why the guy sold it for so cheap, but soon found out there was adware or virus in the computer. It kept popping up random ads here and there. I removed the extensions, changed home pages, run virus scans and everything else...in fact, the virus was removed a handful of times but always managed to re-install itself. I finally tracked it to both scheduled events(easy to remove) and recycle bin. The recycle bin was a true pain in the ass as the file was hidden in some folder, backup copy inside it and was invisible until I made a completely thorough check. On the other hand, I think the guy sold the computer so cheap because he was unable to remove it himself.

Karri, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    @Karri - I got my daughter's laptop repaired by HP and it came back with malware that I could prove they had added. Basically anytime you do anything or let someone else do something your computer is at risk.

Sounds like you got a deal though - worth a bit of time fixing up.

sarahk, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  12. jcdean

jcdean Active Member

Best Answers:
    I buy cheap laptops. I Keep all my files in a USB.
    When it starts running slow I buy a new Lap top.

Most everything I do on the net I use one of my apple devices that don't seem to to get boogered up.

jcdean, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  13. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Why the blazingly hell didn't you just do a clean reinstall? Or, better yet, why didn't the SELLER do a clean reinstall before selling the computer? Security? What is that?

PoPSiCLe, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  14. Karri

Karri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As I discovered the original windows discs didn't come with the laptop. Also at the point I noticed the issue I already had the computer set up the way I want it. For me the easier solution, or the one with less hassle, was just getting rid of the virus. Doing a clean re-install would also require doing backup copies of all my files. Which, yes, I should do all the time anyways...

Karri, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  15. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Okay... first off, all modern laptops come with a built-in factory recovery system. If it's not present, the computer has been modified / reformatted / reinstalled already, using non-original software. Second, having user-files on the same drive as the OS is just not smart. That makes it a lot harder to do a clean install. Just create another partition and keep all user-files and downloads there. Completely seamless if you modify the built-in libraries in Windows.
    Problem is that if your computer has been infected, you never know if it's completely clean or not. Granted, you don't really know that even just after installing Windows, but the chances then is pretty slim.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  16. Karri

Karri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I know, that is why simply removing the virus is easier than 'redoing' the whole computer. I prefer cds instead of built-in recovery system for the simple reason that both can fail, the second one with disastrous results. I wasn't sure if all the installed software was available through that method either. It's not a matter which is the better or cleaner solution, but which one is easier and less time consuming. In any case I would have needed to run a full scan after re-install, and repeat the steps I took in the first place.

As for keeping files at the same drive, it doesn't make much difference to me. There is nothing that I cannot afford to completely lose anyways. In any case, I know the options I have and had, I just usually go with the way of least effort in these. Also: if it's not broken, don't fix it. Even if that means holding it together with a piece of gum and some duct tape. My last laptop had a failing hard drive, but instead of buying an new one I just filled part of the drive with downloads that I didn't delete or use: that way the computer wouldn't use the 'broken' parts(no idea how this tehcnically worked, or if there is even any correlation...but it worked in use).

Karri, Jan 13, 2016 IP