1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Features vs Performance

Discussion in 'General Business' started by nnyorker, Dec 6, 2015.

So I am building a site where the user's profile is the main feature. (Think a dating site where profile and the profile fields are the most important)
    I have narrowed it down to 2 plugins for this.

#1 - The first plugin offers great features such as a cool looking profile, ability to feature members, but lacks the privacy functions, such as followers, chat, messaging. I have to utilize separate plugins for events, directory, groups, etc.
    #2 - The second plugin is more of a social networking plugin and while it does not look "as cool", it offers all the other features - privacy, followers, chat, messaging, events, groups, etc., however, it is a heavy load and my concern of performance is the main issue.

So my obvious question is...which option should I go with?
    Thanks so much for any input. I am extremely torn and can't decide.

Anna

nnyorker, Dec 6, 2015 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'll take speed / fast performance over cool features any day. I assume it's some kind of wordpress plugin. Can you disable the stuff that really slows the performance in your #2 option?

qwikad.com, Dec 6, 2015 IP
  3. nnyorker

nnyorker Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your reply. Not really - I can make some minor adjustments, but it is still going to be slower than option #1. Appreciate you input though.

nnyorker, Dec 6, 2015 IP
  4. Lucy Barret

Lucy Barret Member

Best Answers:
    I think, you can search a little more for finding the right plugin for your purpose. Features and performance, both are important. Cool stuff with little features and great features with poor performance, both with be bad for your site. Little more search will find you the right plugins for your site.

Lucy Barret, Dec 8, 2015 IP
    mohsin qureshi likes this.
  5. Jason Joel

Jason Joel Active Member

Best Answers:
    The features work to attract your customers. People will love the features and they may definitely pay you a visit there.
    But, lack of privacy is a negative feature. For this reason, people will not keep continued with you. So, if you focus on performance then your number of user maybe low but within a while you will have a community through those users. So, I suggest you to go with "performance".

Jason Joel, Dec 8, 2015 IP
  6. eric_wahlberg

eric_wahlberg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Go for the first one. It seems much easier to use.

eric_wahlberg, Dec 14, 2015 IP
  7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This question shouldn't and can't be answered.... Why is the social networking script a heavy load? How is it a heavy load?...

NetStar, Dec 17, 2015 IP
  8. KatnissEverdeen

KatnissEverdeen Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would say that there are plenty of other plug-ins out there for you to use. I would say that you need the many features that your traffic is going to want but you also need it to run properly and quickly. I know that you asked specially between features and performance but I would say that they are both important. If you can't find a plugin that works for you and you have some money to spend, you can have a plug-in created for you.

KatnissEverdeen, Dec 17, 2015 IP
  9. blogfield

blogfield Peon

Best Answers:
    Thera are many dating site out there. The key in that bussiness to be different and provide some added VALUE, one of them is the FEATURE you have. So, I suggest you to go with #1.
    Features are serious bussiness driver in dating "industry".

The concerns about privacy should be solved by some custom pluggin modification. I don t think that is too complex for a programmer.

blogfield, Jan 1, 2016 IP
  10. Criot

Criot Member

Best Answers:
    A combination of a good design, good features and good performance is important to most users, it might be worth going with the first option building in the additional features over time?

Criot, Jan 1, 2016 IP