1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When is a Newbie not a Newbie?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ditso, Dec 9, 2015.

?

Is the 3 Like Rule Ridiculous?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. NO its not. We only want to earn money from nice people.

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
    It's been over four years since I've been on DP so I thought I'd post this here. It's a bit of a rant really so it will either get me an infraction or the thread deleted but hey ho.

Hi I actually joined DP in June 2010 purely so I could get some Logo's and Header Graphics designed. At the time I had to go through the ball ache of posting a minimum number of posts until I could actually post a contest.

I last ran a contest around Aug 2011 and a colleague of mine who also has a DP account also ran some. (Probably 6 or 7 between us.)

During the course of those contests 2 designers kept coming up with the best designs so we stopped running contests on here and just hired them. One of them 4 years later still does work for me to this day.

I just came back on here a few days a go to run a new contest for a logo design in the hope of finding a new designer that we can hire as our work load is on the increase. (We are getting lots of enquiries for Social Media Covers etc)

However I have now found that I can't post a contest because there aren't 3 people on DP who like me!

Really WTF? I actually want to come on here and give a DP member some work. Does he/she really need to like me to earn money from me? As it happens I'm a pretty nice guy but even if I was a complete tool would you not take my money?

I really don't have the time to come on here day after day posting sh1t in the hope that someone accidentally hits the like button so sadly it may be another 4 years before I'm back!

Can anyone recommend any other forum or website where I can run a design contest regardless of whether I'm popular or not?

Ditso, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Sadly, some of the people who pop in here, with no track record try to rip our users off. The old 25 posts and the new 3 likes rules are to ensure that users have some sort of history here that others can check before they spend time creating content in the hope they will get paid.

All of the rules here have evolved from problems we've encountered. We don't just create them for the fun of it so spare a thought for the designers, programmers and content creators who have been ripped off often enough to make us make new users jump through hoops.

FWIW a friend got work down by DesignCrowd

sarahk, Dec 9, 2015 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  3. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    To be honest its kind of hard to get 3 likes because they get removed from moderators. But, in a other view you will be active and you wont scam people like before was. This is kind of protection for the marketplace. Am not a fan of it but nevermind.

Zoti Media Group, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Wrong :)
    We can't remove likes. The only time you'll see it happen is if the entire thread gets deleted or the post gets deleted.

sarahk, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  5. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You cant remove Likes? Am sure that someone from you is able to do it as I have read many threads that members claims that the likes have been removed.

Zoti Media Group, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've seen some of the claims and checked them out and they've always been for posts that have, one way or another been deleted.

Example
    Spammer tries to spam site but leaves only title text and no actual link
    User #1 comes and ridicules spammer for being hopeless
    Users #2 and #3 like the way User #1 has taken the piss out of the spammer
    Moderator then removes the spam and User #1 loses 2 likes

sarahk, Dec 9, 2015 IP
    Zoti Media Group likes this.
  7. Ditso

Ditso Member

Best Answers:
    I've had a look at the DesignCrowd website and it looks excellent thank you for that. I would "like" your post but I'm a potential crook so I'm not allowed to.

Ditso, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The problem with any protective system is that it penalises the good guys.

My dog isn't going to cause problems off leash on a busy beach
    I can drive 20km over the speed limit and not crash
    I'm not going to shoot people so I don't need a gun license
    I'm not going to shoplift so you don't need to check my bag as I leave a store
    I'm not going to bring alcohol into a concert so you don't need to check

The only way to be fair is to apply the rules evenly. As a mod I am not paid nor influenced by the whole premium thing. The idea is that if you are going to stump up $$$ then you are less likely to rip someone off $10 for a link. I can't point to examples but I've seen plenty of design threads where a designer has come up with a low res concept and magically at "another site" someone else has come up with the same thing and been accepted. What has really happened is the thread starter has just copied the concept or got their kid sister to copy it.

Anyway, our system isn't perfect, and we're open to alternatives. We'd love to find the foolproof way to protect both sides of the transactions.

sarahk, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Members have the option to erase the likes that they have given out. If you go to a post that you have liked you will notice a *unlike* button.

Spoiltdiva, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That's true. Anyone can remove likes they've personally given. The mods just can't overturn yours.

sarahk, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  11. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Ironically he got two likes for the sh*t he posted. His and other similar posts are not going to move the needle whatsoever. Could've just used the same energy contributing to this forum and getting three likes in no time.

qwikad.com, Dec 9, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone who cannot get three likes within the first week of joining DP is simply not trying or does not have the capacity to write a good post, in which case, they need to find another venue that does not require such skills or discipline. I was originally in the same boat. Had gotten my 25 posts and ran many successful contests. Left for a couple of years (because I had no further need at the time) and then came back and had no Likes. Took me less than 72 hours to get three of them and be able to run my contests. Was not a significant effort to do so.

jrbiz, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  13. Ditso

Ditso Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously based on what I charge my clients per hour multiplied by 72 hours it would be far cheaper for me to just pay the $125 than waste that amount of time on here posting for no other reason than to get likes. My posting wouldn't add anything to the forum (though from what I've seen on here along the lines of "how do I get backlinks" or "How do I get on 1st page of Google" I doubt I could post anything that would make it worse.

I appreciate that most of the serial posters on here make a living from selling to other members and if that's their thing GL to them. These sort of forums are not part of my business plan and I just don't have the time to hang out on forums for the "fun" of it as I'm too busy working.

Regarding my skills (or lack of) I guess if I applied myself I could master uploading a photograph to the forum so I could post an image of what I eat for dinner, though quite what that would add to the debate I'm not sure.

Before anyone asks, the only reason I came back on just now is because I noticed I had 2 likes earlier for the OP and I thought I'd pop back to see if I got a 3rd as that would have made my day.

Ditso, Dec 9, 2015 IP
  14. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    From what I understand it doesn't have to be $125. You can just purchase a one-month membership for $25 (to test the waters so to say):

https://www.digitalpoint.com/account/upgrades

You see you have this attitude like you're better than the rest of us. "Look at me I am a busy businessman!" So am I. So are thousands of other people on this forum. It's called forum for a reason. It's a place where people come to contribute in whatever way they can. But if you're a total taker, just get your pocket change out and buy a membership instead of whining how horrible this place is.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2015
    qwikad.com, Dec 9, 2015 IP
    Spoiltdiva, jrbiz and sarahk like this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously, you are much too skilled and important to worry about a forum like DP, so it is surprising that you just wasted your valuable time on this follow up post. BTW, I have absolutely nothing to sell and very little to buy on DP, but get value from participating nonetheless. You probably should focus your efforts on fiverr for cheap logo's.

jrbiz, Dec 10, 2015 IP
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I wanted to make one final clarification in case other new members are reading this and might not realize that one of the OP's conclusions was way off target. While it took me 72 hours to get three likes when I became active on DP again, I spent no more than 1-2 hours, in total, during that period writing helpful posts, etc.

jrbiz, Dec 10, 2015 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @qwikad.com has received 3 likes just for one post on this thread. (so far) Really not hard to do if you post quality content.

Spoiltdiva, Dec 10, 2015 IP
  18. HCFGrizzly

HCFGrizzly Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, it`s not that hard to get likes, I have been here only for 2 days and I already have a like. The idea of a forum is to create a community and to help other members. I still don`t have like privileges, if I had I would give you one because you seem to really need it

HCFGrizzly, Dec 10, 2015 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Ah no.....we *don't* hand out likes simply by virtue of the fact that someone may need them. I hope that when you are able to hand out likes, that you will be serious as to the giving. Especially when the giving is one of the first 3 likes to become established..

Spoiltdiva, Dec 10, 2015 IP
  20. HCFGrizzly

HCFGrizzly Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, it`s my fault, should have used *sarcasm* tag :oops:

HCFGrizzly, Dec 10, 2015 IP