1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where to start with Ruby?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Audiomad, Feb 17, 2012.

I've downloaded the package "Rail", installed it and downloaded Aptanta Studio for editing but from there I'm lost does not seem to be much references to how to go about starting and managing the new project.

I'm only starting out learning it so if you know of any good site to start learning the coding please share too.

Audiomad, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  2. CodeBeast

CodeBeast Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    CodeBeast, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  3. JimmyRP

JimmyRP Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I would suggest learning rails first, if you plan on working towards learning "rails". By doing this will learn the concepts of rails and learn ruby along the way. Ruby is very similar to other programming languages, with some syntactic sugar added. If you have any experience with other programming languages, whether that be C, Java, PHP, etc..., I would say go straight to rails.

http://ruby.railstutorial.org/

You can buy a great 500 page e-book there. You can also buy screencasts. Yes they cost money, but if you are serious about learning rails, this will definitely send you in the right direction. The book is great, and walks you through an entire real world example where you build a simplified version of twitter.

JimmyRP, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  4. Arttu

Arttu Member

Best Answers:
    Arttu, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  5. KeywordSear.ch

KeywordSear.ch Peon

Best Answers:
    My start was Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby, available free as a pdf at that link there. I am a huge fan even still. After that I recommend 'Practical Ruby for System Administrators' published by Apress. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it sure is useful and enabled me to work on a bunch of fun and useful projects that really helped me learn.

KeywordSear.ch, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  6. Thiago Tibau

Thiago Tibau Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    this site is the best: railscast.com

Thiago Tibau, Dec 1, 2015 IP