1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

github gurus?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by reeceybaird, Dec 1, 2015.

Hey Fellas

Im currently following the instruction of the odin project learning all i can about web development and I'm on the part where you code the google homepage from scratch (just the looks not the functions yet).

still kinda getting used to github but I've created a Repo on it and I've got a readme.txt, index.html and a main.css file, how can i view them in the browser to see what my page looks like and see what needs edited??

a webdev mentor would be good right about now haha

any help would be much appreciated!

reeceybaird, Dec 1, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Uhm... Github is just a file depository - it's not a server. You can't "view your project" on Github. That's what you have a webserver for. Either local or hosted somewhere.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 1, 2015 IP
  3. reeceybaird

reeceybaird Peon

Best Answers:
    i know i might sound like an idiot but I'm a complete noob to this and I'm still learning a lot. so you download a separate program to build and view your website and you can only view it when you've got a domain and hosing? and submit the files to github when your finished?

thanks a lot, i appreciate the help :)

reeceybaird, Dec 1, 2015 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Assuming you aren't doing any server-side stuff like PHP, you shouldn't need anything more than a browser and a empty directory. Copy your files to a directory and open them from there. Assuming it's all relatively linked it should just work.

You only "need" repository asshattery like GitHub if you are collaborating with others, and even then it can often do more harm than good. Personally I've had "version control" and "collaboration" tools screw over so many projects, I flat out refuse to use them anymore.

Really when building a website, there is no reason to even get them involved as they have jack **** to do with site building. Just make a local directory on your computer, put the index.html and any associated files like your CSS in there, and open it like a normal file and your default browser should just open it.

You only need to put it online when you want others to be able to see it.

deathshadow, Dec 1, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well... I can think of some good reasons to use github actually. You write code on your computer, test it, and push it to git. Then you can pull it wherever you're deploying the actual site, and if something breaks, roll back. You can even do pulls automatically, so no need to manually upload files to the server.
    Also, if you changed something, and decide that wasn't the best choice, you can just pull the file out of the repository history and use that code, instead of reverting current code, or rewriting it.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 2, 2015 IP
    ThePHPMaster likes this.
  6. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Git is a good versioning tool especially for mobile apps.

scottlpool2003, Dec 11, 2015 IP