1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO and Google News Sites! I'm Surprised!

Discussion in 'Google' started by Greg B, Nov 26, 2015.

I'm getting quite an education regarding SEO and Google News sites.

With Google's new software algorithms like Panda and the rest getting more fine tuned every day, the game of SEO keeps changing and you've got to be on your toes.

If you follow basic ethical website design and function that helps to set up a foundation for better rankings, but there are a few surprises I've learned from writing for Google News sites. I'm a writer and cartoonist and while writing breaking news, my articles would get picked up by Google's news feed. Talk about massive traffic!!! When big news sites link to my articles we get boosts up the rankings like crazy. Having good relevant tags and pertinent keywords and keyphrases in titles, tags, pic and video descriptions are a must. The extra surprise was when I started doing editorial cartoons. I've been an editorial cartoonist for 35 years. Started with the Gannet News Service. I posted editorial cartoons with relevant descriptions and tags and the response has been overwhelming. People share them all over social media and I get acknowledged on television from CNN to the BBC and more.

The inbound links from authority sites this way are massive, especially if a site like the Washington Post links to more than one of my articles. I add an extra URL to my main cartoon site too and rankings rise.

I'm also noticing that Google likes longer articles nowadays. The magic number appears to be 1,100 to 1,300 words per article with one pic and one video and two inbound links with keywords, keyphrases, and long-tail keyphrases in the link texts.

I've gotten more attention to one cartoon in one day than all the comic books I've sold in 30 years. Just one cartoon/article! It's tedious work but Google loves their news sites! So do bloggers and social media posters when you cover a topic they're passionate about.

Now I'm going to revive a service I did 18 years ago by providing breaking news cartoons for webmasters. All free. Just a link back to the site will be required. When I did it the first time, I had newspapers all over the world as subscribers and it got to be too much to handle. Now with today's apps and procedures it should be manageable.

So for traffic, mass amounts of it, don't underestimate Google News sites. If you can't write news, spend the extra to hire someone who can, especially breaking news. You WILL get listed if the articles are good and you can divert the traffic to sales and conversions and list building.

Greg B, Nov 26, 2015 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  2. Webcenter

Webcenter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This should be in advertising forums. Good luck!

Webcenter, Nov 26, 2015 IP
  3. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is that not everyone is lucky enough to get 2 inbound links for each article. I've worked a lot on the external visibility of my country's ONLY right-wing magazine when I was employed there and I know how difficult it is to get good links to you.

rsrikanth05, Nov 26, 2015 IP
  4. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tip Greg. It's definitely worth exploring.

danasurvey, Nov 26, 2015 IP
  5. Greg B

Greg B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are three ways to get these inbound links but organic is the best. It depends on whether your article covers these secret 3 points. They're achieved by either writing or hiring real writers who do real research and reference. Google knows when people are faking it claiming to be native English writers but are instead foreigners in disguise or from writing mills. Your copy has to be original and pertinent to your niche, provide information that others don't, and never spammy.

Greg B, Nov 26, 2015 IP
  6. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let me take my blog as an example.
    I run a blog about buses.
    All of the articles in my blog involve significant amount of research and multiple copyedits. Most of my research experience comes from my experience as a researcher at my University. English is not my mother tongue, but I can converse in English with a near native proficiency. The same applies to most of the people I work with, even in the magazine. None of what we do is spam, nor is it unoriginal.

Getting inbound links for each article is not an easy task, not unless you are willing to invest a lot in it.

rsrikanth05, Nov 27, 2015 IP
  7. Greg B

Greg B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's how easy it is to tell if a person is native English or not and no computer and no one can fake it. It's the use of slang and metaphor. American English changes daily. New words, catch phrases, idioms, metaphors appear regularly. It helps us separate and distinguish moments in history, mindset, sub culture. If these don't appear in your copy at the right places, we and bots can tell you're either not human or are passing as native English.

These metaphors and idioms also help us target "local SEO" or SEO that is targeted to a specific geographical and cultural group or groups. For people in rural areas I can use a metaphor like "Katie bar the door!" which no one else on Earth would know save for Americans and perhaps Canadians. That helps in sales as it is easily understandable by the target group as it's a metaphor over 100 years old.

The Google algorithms are getting more sophisticated every day. They are looking for originality and helpfulness primarily. Soon they'll be so good at detecting fraud that you'll see 100s of millions of bogus websites fall off the grid. That's why you have to be pro level and hire real professionals. No more spun article bullcrap either.
    So to get those inbound links you have to provide something that no one else has or support something another site is trying to get through to the public. Send an outbound link to breaking and main stories within your niche. Don't overdo it. The sites will see this and send inbound links. Google is getting smart about link hogs. Sites that are authority and get lots of inbound links but are stingy in regard to sending out links to sites that are worthy of such.
    Just hold your ground and keep being a pro. Sooner or later you'll gain that authority and you'll be the one that people are begging for links from.

Greg B, Nov 27, 2015 IP
    rsrikanth05 likes this.