1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Updating a sale without bumping.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ecchi, Nov 26, 2015.

I am trying to change the details in the first post of a thread in the advertising forum. "Edit Sale" will only allow me to edit the lead in information, not the advertised details. Hitting "edit" in the post gives me a "bump post" dialogue which is not what I want to do (and not possible either, because it is less than 1 month old).

So how do I edit the text of a sale?

Thanks.

ecchi, Nov 26, 2015 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can't edit a post after it's been posted for 8 hours. The only way to do it would be to use the bump option, as it starts the edit window of time for another 8 hours.

digitalpoint, Nov 26, 2015 IP
    kimanierick likes this.
  3. ecchi

ecchi Member

Best Answers:
    Not a good idea. If something changes in a sale and the original poster cannot change the post then DigitalPoint is legally responsible and can be forced to make up any loss by the buyer.

Now I kinda wish I'd promised my buyers free sex with a supermodel of their choice if they bought a full six month's advertising. The board would have had to supply the supermodel. :)

ecchi, Nov 26, 2015 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Nov 26, 2015 IP
  5. ecchi

ecchi Member

Best Answers:
    Yes but that is only if the post is 100% the poster's responsibility. If they post something the believe to be true at the time, discover that they were wrong and are prevented from changing it, the person who prevents them shares responsibility. For the purpose of that act, by prevention changes, you (or the Digital Point owners) are making themselves "co-authors" of the post.

ecchi, Nov 30, 2015 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not sure where you get that. Liability shifts to the publisher only when they were served notice that the content was illegal and refused to remove or disable access to the content.

To date, I'm not aware of any content we were served notice on about it being illegal and we didn't act upon. If a user is found to be posting illegal content, not only would it be removed, the user would be permanently banned as well.

digitalpoint, Nov 30, 2015 IP
  7. ecchi

ecchi Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not talking about someone deliberately posting something illegal, I mean someone making a mistake and trying to correct it. For example if someone says they are selling advertising on a page that gets 1000000 page views and later on they realise they typed one two many zeros, then meant 100000 page views, but they were unable to change it because of your block and someone buys expecting 1000000. The poster has made every effort to change the advert but has been blocked by you, this makes you legally responsible to supply the extra 900000 page views.

Also: If the user has made every effort to change something but is blocked by you, then gets banned by you, I think that may give him grounds to sue you for unreasonable behaviour.

ecchi, Dec 1, 2015 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It certainly would be an interesting case in court. I would think one would have to first prove that the user didn't have reasonable time to correct their mistake (users can edit anything they want for 8 hours... they also can post a follow up post in their thread with updates). If they were able to prove unreasonable time to edit mistakes, they still would need to make a claim that their own ineptitude at being able to write a truthful and accurate post in an 8 hour timeframe shifts their liability for what they wrote to another person/entity. It would be like someone arguing that a classified ad they posted in a newspaper wasn't their fault because the newspaper wasn't willing to collect all the newspapers that were distributed and reprint them.

Either way, it most certainly would be interesting case law for sure.

Yes, well technically anyone can sue anyone for anything. People sue God for things all the time. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawsuits_against_God

Whether or not someone would win in a court of law is another thing of course. There isn't a law against "unreasonable behavior", which of course is subjective either way. At the end of the day though, this is nothing more than a private website that we allow users to use. No one has a legal "right" to be a member here.

digitalpoint, Dec 1, 2015 IP
  9. ecchi

ecchi Member

Best Answers:
    "Interesting case" = One that goes on and on and costs so much that it bankrupts both parties.

However you are not going to listen to me, and you appear to be relying on silly schoolboy legal ideas (eg: you are safe because this is a "private website" or that you think a court will accept that everyone on the planet is bright enough to spot their mistakes within eight hours - even if they only re-read the post a day later).

In that I, with only very basic legal training and experience (as an outside clerk), can spot holes in your legal setup, I'm guessing there are loads more that would require a trained lawyer to spot them. And I genuinely recommend that you get a paid professional to look over your business before the sticky brown stuff hits the fan!

ecchi, Dec 1, 2015 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This website isn't safe because it's private. I was just saying no one has a legal right to use the website, that's all.

I also don't claim that people are bright enough to spot their own mistakes. Only that a user's lack of "brightness" doesn't shift liability for the content they create away from them, that's all.

digitalpoint, Dec 1, 2015 IP
  11. ecchi

ecchi Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough, but that gives you no legal defence against anything!

Yeah but their IQ has no bearing on anything if you stop them correcting their mistakes. Take this extreme example: It is not your fault if an old man collapses in the street a few yards in front of you. But if you then physically prevent the paramedics from getting to him until he is dead.....

However this is getting pointless. You are obviously are not going to listen to me, and arguing the matter with me doesn't make the law change if you win the argument on this board! I repeat, what you really need to do is talk to a professional lawyer whose opinion you trust, not just argue with me about the way you think the law should be and assume that will make it so.

ecchi, Dec 2, 2015 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Agreed... back to the original question before we went down the road of "what if". There are no plans to change our edit policies.

digitalpoint, Dec 2, 2015 IP