1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Publishing content from various broadcasts.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by WellsHunter, Nov 23, 2015.

I am new to the world of publishing and I am soliciting advice.

I am starting a blog and I wanted to know if it is okay for me to quote what I heard somebody say while they were speaking to the public?

Here are the specific examples which come to mind:

1)If a representative of a company is speaking publicly via the radio, am I permitted to record his statements and then convert them to text for my commercial website? Or does the radio own the copyrights to all of his statements?

2)If a representative of a company is speaking publicly via a Podcast, am I permitted to record his statements and then convert them to text for my commercial website? Or does the Podcast creator own the copyrights to all of his statements?

3)If a person loads a video onto Youtube which is of him speaking, am I permitted to record his statements and then convert them to text for my commercial website? Or does the creator own the copyrights to all of his statements?

Thanks for any insight.

WellsHunter, Nov 23, 2015 IP
  2. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you should ask him to check with the company he is talking at

pmf123, Nov 25, 2015 IP
  3. WellsHunter

WellsHunter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is not an option under many circumstances. There are lots of famous people who speak using these 3 broadcast mediums who are not ever going to return an email or phone call.

WellsHunter, Nov 25, 2015 IP
  4. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    oh i assumed these were representatives of YOUR company

sounds like you have no right to post their whole speeches, but if there were press there they often post snippets without issue, with a link to the full speech on youtube.

the worst you will get is a cease and desist i would assume

pmf123, Nov 25, 2015 IP
  5. WellsHunter

WellsHunter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I found the answer which is exactly what I was hoping for:

If the recording was made by a person or company, only the text of the speech is in the public domain; that specific recording is protected by copyright.

So essentially if there is somebody giving a speech, the recording itself is copyrighted, but I am allowed to convert the speech into text and print it.

http://www.newmediarights.org/business_models/artist/are_historical_speeches_public_domain

WellsHunter, Nov 25, 2015 IP
    Pamela Turns likes this.