1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

iWriter Versus Textbroker - Let's Break It Down!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by coreygeer, Aug 29, 2013.

I'm not quite ready to go to bed yet, so I decided to go through both websites at the moment and give a little insight if you will. I know this topic comes a lot in different communities as a battle between iWriter versus Textbroker.

I'll be rating both sites based on Job Availability, Complexity, Client Approval Rating and Earning Potential.

Well, let's get to it. I'm going to compare all the data at the time of writing this post.

iWriter
    There are currently only 30 or so jobs available on iWriter. When I started writing here, there was usually 20+ pages of jobs but a lot of clients refuse to use the site because of the poor quality work they've received there.

Job Availability: 30+
    Of those 30+, 10 of them are "Elite" status, most of them are "Premium" status and one of them is beginner. Basically, if you're not a premium member yet, you could only do one article and it takes 30 basic articles to move up to premium.

Earning Potential: Basic articles pay around .50c per 100 words, Premium articles pay a little less than $1.00 per 100 words and Elite articles only pay around $1.25 to $1.50 per 100 words.

Client Approval Rating: This is a scary part of this website, because a lot of these clients who are offering a horrendous pricing option have ridiculous standards. If you've ever done work for cheap clients before, then you know all too well how big of a pain they are to please and how hard it is to adhere to their set of standards. I'm just going to go off of the first few "Premium" clients I see here. These are the people who pay a little less than $1.00 per 100 words. (I won't post actual names).

Client #1: Approved: 4, Rejected: 19 (Approval rate: 17%)
    Client #2: Approved: 10, Rejected: 27 (Approval rate: 27%)
    Client #3: Approved: 33, Rejected: 20 (Approval rate: 62%)

That is just disgusting. I understand some of the content they're getting may not be quality, but iWriter has a built in feature to detect spam so at least they're getting original content. Look at all of those people who sent in articles only to be rejected by these tight little prick cheap wads who expect super high quality off of a $.75c per 100 words budget.

Complexity: The user interface is great on iWriter and it's easy to navigate, but here's where I start having my gripes. A lot of writers won't come here and the site is notorious for this but let me just show you an example of some of the "special instructions" that you're supposed to follow for this ridiculously low paying opportunity.

I just copy pasted one set of instructions into Wordpress and it was 700 words! Holy mother of Yikes! 700 words of special instructions for a 500 word article that pays $4.46!

AH, here we go! Example of #2 of one of the "Special Instructions" that clients like to leave people over at iWriter for the price they're willing to pay: http://imgur.com/etQIfiM

Look at that Scrollbar.. the Special Instructions just keep going and going. That is absolutely insane.

iWriter: 1/10 (The only reason I'm giving this even a 1 is because Brad offers amazing support and anytime in the past I ever had an issue or someone give me a rating I didn't deserve, I had it fixed right away. This is like the cruel joke of the internet (freelancing world).

Textbroker
    I've heard a lot of great things here but haven't actually taken the time to write for them because I've heard equally bad things as well. Well, let's go ahead and dive in.

Job Availability: 494
    I'm not sure how the whole pay system works there but if I understand this right, the lower paying jobs (which there's not many of them) pay about as much as iWriter's basic paying jobs and the "4" star jobs pay about $1.25 to $1.50 per 100 words.

Earning Potential: When you start out, you don't have to do 30 bogus jobs for .50c or $1.00. You can start out as a Level 4 writer that earns $3-12 per article (depending on the length).
    Once you get to Level 5 or start getting your own clients, they can choose to pay you at your own personal rate you set for yourself and you can make a lot more, so the earning potential is definitely a huge factor for Textbroker over iWriter.

Client Approval Rating: Now this is where it gets interesting because this isn't NEARLY as bad as the majority of iWriter clients. Funny that they pay more and the rejection rating goes way down huh?

Client #1:
    Rejection rate:0.25 %
    Revision Rate:1.26 %

Client #2:
    Rejection rate:1.32 %
    Revision Rate:2.24 %

Client #3:
    Rejection rate:0.03 %
    Revision Rate:0.41 %

To be honest, this shocked me.. Rejection and Revision ratings are incredibly low.

Complexity: Now, I don't have a lot of experience writing for Textbroker, so I don't know these clients are and how nit-picky they are, so let's take a look at some special instructions shall we?

This is a 300-400 word article and compared to most cheap clients, the special instructions here are pretty good/general.

Let's find another one.

As I'm looking through all of these, most of them are very short, very sweet and to the point.

Textbroker: 4/10

Honestly, if you're going to whore yourself out, don't waste your time chasing down these ridiculous penny chasers here on the forums or writing for iWriter. If you're going to write for ridiculously cheap, I would highly recommend doing it at Textbroker because they pay more, the clients are far less of a hassle clearly and you'll make more money in the long run if you plan on writing a significant amount.

How? Well, think about it. The more articles that are accepted is more money for you and Textbroker rejection rates are just outstanding to look at. Having 1% for a rejection rate is simply amazing and the place seems to get a lot of repeat business.

iWriter gets a lot of first time customers because Brad markets the site as a "GET QUALITY ARTICLES FOR CHEAP AS POSSIBLE" and people come there only to be disappointed. His WSO is actually called "Get articles for as low as $1.25" or something like that, and some people wonder why cheap clients like flocking to there.

I don't personally recommend going with either, but if you have to go with one or the other, I would definitely recommend Textbroker over iWriter, for a mile. The first 30 articles I did for iWriter, I had quite a few rejections for absolutely no reason and most of them were by non-native English clients who barely spoke English, so I still wonder how they even knew what they were reading.

coreygeer, Aug 29, 2013 IP
    TextServices and Helge Sverre like this.
  2. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Great review Corey, Just signed up for textbroker as a client. :p

Helge Sverre, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  3. Michael Levanduski

Michael Levanduski Active Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent comparison Cory! I've never used either of these sites, but this is excellent information!

Michael

Michael Levanduski, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  4. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I just noticed that I'm one article away from a small payout on iWriter so I went there hoping to write just one article and get my payout and never look back.

However, when I got there, this is what I found:

There are only four jobs available at the moment and not a single one of them are for English speakers. I don't know German or French so it appears there's nothing I can do here at the moment. I don't know exactly what happened to iWriter in the past year but having less than 5 jobs is a pretty critical condition to say the least.

I've heard decent things about Constant Content but again, most of the people I've read reviews from are just trying to push their Constant Content affiliate link, so no shit they only have good things to say. I think I might submit 20 articles to the place based on what's hot and see how many of them sell.

coreygeer, Aug 30, 2013 IP
    Michael Levanduski likes this.
  5. Michael Levanduski

Michael Levanduski Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've used constant content and it is a good system. They are VERY picky on what they accept, but you can also set your prices higher than most other places. Like $35-50 per 500 word article. It does take a while to sell sometimes though.

If you've got no writing to do, CC is a good place to spend your time. If you can build up a good library of articles on there, you can bring in some good money! (And you don't even have to use my affiliate link, lol).

Good luck!

Michael

Michael Levanduski, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  6. Salman R

Salman R Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Any other sites where I can find clients? I started with iWriter and still write over there, but the amount of rejections I get are pathetic; even an article that is informative, and has no typos or grammatical errors gets rejected. Even more annoying is the fact that clients leave a 1-star rating stating "grammar mistakes," "typos," or "not what I am looking for."

@coreygeer You can get the ratings changed? I never knew that. I always fear that my rating will go below 4.6, and then I won't be able to choose elite projects.

I cannot sign up for Textbroker as I am not from the First World :(

Salman R, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  7. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I got a lot of rejections when I first started writing there because it would give the entire article to the client before they could make their decision. The majority of the clients there weren't Native English and didn't give a rats ass if you didn't get paid.

Yes, if you e-mail them via the support desk and a rating is unfair or isn't deserved, they will change it. I haven't looked at the site today and probably don't plan on going back. There's literally no work (I'm not exaggerating when I say no work). I just can't bring myself to write at a $4.46 rate per 500 words. If it ever comes to that, I would rather walk to McDonalds for a living then deal with these cheap clients (they're worse than fast food management).

I'm still hesitant on Constant-Content or Textbroker. I have all the time in the world to devote to something but I haven't picked a source yet.

coreygeer, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  8. rahil4u

rahil4u Member

Best Answers:
    The good thing about iwriter is that anyone from any country can take up writing tasks. Textbroker is only open for US residents i guess..

rahil4u, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  9. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm guessing that also attributes to iWriter's disgusting rejection rate as well. A lot of non-native English writers are taking up jobs that require English writers and the articles coming in are hard to understand.

I might actually post a job on there just to see what kind of articles come in and what people send. Then again, for the price they pay their writers, I can only imagine...

coreygeer, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  10. ron99

ron99 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to hustle and market yourself to find your own clients then you can get more for your writing. But the cost is the time it takes you to find work. Of course the goal is to find clients that will give you steady work and don't mind paying reasonable prices for quality work. That's what's best in the long run.

If you want to just get started quickly and start writing right away, then sites like iwriter with built in clients can help you get started quickly so you are at least getting paid for your work from the start, even if it is low rates. You can also develop a regular clientele on iwriter who are willing to pay more than the low rate and give you steady work.

As someone looking for content I use iwriter to find elite writers who are good so I can send them steady work.

Ron

ron99, Sep 11, 2013 IP
  11. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    I tried iWriter once. I ordered 5 articles that ended up coming from 4 separate writers. I gave specific titles on a niche where I knew that there were several good sources that could have made writing an article fairly simple if someone was willing to spend a few minutes finding them and reading them before they started writing.

The results: one article was obviously spun and made absolutely no sense. I rejected it. The others were simply words on paper that made sense but were like a stream of consciousness on the general niche and bore no reasonable relationship to the title. I paid for them but through them away.

I did not expect great literary works but I did expect that the articles would at least give some useful information on the topic they supposedly were covering. If getting zero useful articles for a project is the experience other clients share, I am not surprised that there are only 4 projects available.

Business Attorney, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  12. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    A lot of people only hire the "elite" status writers now as you can see on their site. I still haven't bothered to go there and write 1-2 more articles to get a $20 payout because there's no non-elite English jobs there.

I could be Elite, but when I first started they were just taking the articles and then declining for no reason. This was before the system showed you a snapshot of the article rather than just giving it to you.

You can even request that e-Books be written on there? Who the hell in their right mind would write an entire e-Book without any kind of upfront payment?

coreygeer, Sep 17, 2013 IP
  13. asiogroup

asiogroup Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very informative comparison. Trying iWriter for the first time, lets see how it is going to treat a writer from India.

asiogroup, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  14. ssaxena07

ssaxena07 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree! I am 10 articles far from being premium at iWriter and felt the same as you did. In my opinion, it's not the fault from the client's side at iWriter. Even here at DP, before the revisions of new rules and guidelines, the things went on go downsizing, but after the updates, I feel pretty relaxed here as per the wholesome aura has changed and barred nuisances to play the cheap game :)

ssaxena07, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  15. RockstarEmperor

RockstarEmperor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my search for article writing, I have found many positive and negative reviews about iWriter. However, I would prefer iWriter over any other because they provide articles from cheaper rates to premium rates. If the articles are not upto the expectation, they can be rejected too. So my preference would be iWriter.

RockstarEmperor, Dec 9, 2013 IP
  16. khodem

khodem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rejection is always bad... and the client is disgusting who reject the article and in my opinion having reject button sucks as they don't even know how much time and effort the writer put to write only a single 100 word article... you spend half of your time to research, write, re-read and do proof reading... and at the end you get rejected?? all the time you spend goes in vain by only those cheap pricks press the reject button.....

they cannot return your time you spend on research, writing and proof reading of those articles... I personally find this rejection ridiculous instead there must have revision rather than rejection at least you would have hope to fix it according to their review.

khodem, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  17. Julie Anne

Julie Anne Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow. From what I'm told above, I wouldn't bother with iWriter. Textbroker is good for writers who want a little extra income. However, I'm done busting my tail at TB because I worked over two hours on some of the four-star articles -- even taking editors' suggestions and reading the text out loud to make sure the sentences make sense -- and I can't keep working for only $3 per hour. The one that pays the most reasonable rate is neither one of these.

Writer Access actually pays a decent wage that averages to anywhere from $8 to $12 per hour for 4-star authors. I don't expect the moon because I can't say I have "impeccable" grammar. However, since I work hard to please my clients, I think I deserve as much as a minimum wage restaurant employee. :D I've been on WA for about three months now and altough once in a while I get more than I bargained for when reserving an assignment, I feel as though the staff and the adminstration treats people well there. They have a great system for helping both clients and authors, too.

Julie Anne, Dec 13, 2013 IP
  18. jamisonwalker

jamisonwalker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Great review, but I happen to use iWriter and the average approval rate is probably 75% out of a few hundred submissions??? Also, if you are a wicked writer, you can make about $18 per article, I can write one of these in an hour - and hour and a half... The three categories, they have a button which say view more elite articles etc. So there actually actually more jobs at a time than 30 lol.

jamisonwalker, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  19. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    I think some of those content mills can be just ridiculous. People shouldn't get paid less than minimum wage for sure.

Alyssa Lochmore, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  20. dess71

dess71 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I ordered a couple of articles when Iwriter launched. Back then I got the articles on time and with good quality. No experience with Textbroker

dess71, Nov 23, 2015 IP