1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Smartphone Battery Chargers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrbiz, Sep 9, 2015.

I was recently forced to upgrade my smartphone from an HTC to a Samsung (long, miserable story.) I have multiple home and car chargers for my HTC and now only one for the new Samsung. I looked at the specs on both chargers (HTC and Samsung) and they are remarkably similar except for amperages. Here are the charger specs:

HTC
    Input: 100-240V 50/60MHz 0.5A
    Output: 5V 2.4A

Samsung
    Input: 100-240V 50/60MHz 0.35A
    Output: 5V 2.0A

So, the HTC charger has slightly higher Amperages for both Input and Output.

My question is: Can I continue to use the HTC chargers without damaging the Samsung battery or do I need to go out and buy all new chargers for cars, etc.? TIA for any advice on this.

jrbiz, Sep 9, 2015 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Update: the issue was rendered moot today. My wife found a combination home plug/car plug charger cable for the Samsung and bought two for a total of $11 with free shipping on eBay. At that price, it was not worth exploring saving the old chargers and risking the new phone.

jrbiz, Sep 10, 2015 IP
  3. abdmjz

abdmjz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes mate dont try anything higher than the stock charger.. I learned it the hard way... Once I accidentally plugged the tab charger to my phone and left it overnight... Next day the phone had some issues with the LCD.. whole screen became like a black and white tv with no signal.

abdmjz, Nov 15, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, yes chargers are so cheap that it is not worth the potential damage. I just hated to throw away perfectly good electronics, but that seems to be the only option these days.

jrbiz, Nov 16, 2015 IP
    abdmjz likes this.
  5. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm. I dont really pay to much attention to charger specs for as long as they have the same tip :) We have several brands of phone at home and I use first the charger that I see when I recharge my phone.
    Which I think is why I have to change my battery every 2-3 months. Or buy a new phone every 6 months. LOL.
    Im a samsung fanboy actually have a collection of galaxy s series most have battery problems but are still fully functional.

Vitarank, Nov 16, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'll have to remember this next time I have a question about my S4. :)

jrbiz, Nov 16, 2015 IP
  7. uniquesolutions

uniquesolutions Member

Best Answers:
    Better you buy a multi charger.

A multi charger is useful for many gadgets. You can use it in a car also

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
    uniquesolutions, Mar 5, 2016 IP