1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am not spammer, but DMOZ not listing my site

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by qdungeng, Nov 9, 2015.

Dear DMOZ

I did suggest url of my website about 5 months ago, but it not show on DMOZ.

Yesterday I did try again.
    Please help me with category : Regional/Asia/Vietnam/Travel_and_Tourism/Travel_Services/Tour_Operators/
    for domain name : indochinatravelpackages (dot) com

Thank a lot.

qdungeng, Nov 9, 2015 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    5 months is nothing and you just ruined your chances of being reviewed any sooner by resubmitting! Your new submission just overwrote the old one and sent your site to the "back" if the editor sorts suggested sites by dates.

Agent000, Nov 10, 2015 IP
    th.sigit likes this.
  3. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The chances of getting included these days are slim at best, they've had a shortage of editors for years now. Submit and basically forget about it, if you do get accepted great if not oh well. DMOZ isn't what it use to be for obvious reasons(lack of updates).

kjh-08, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  4. NeilPearson

NeilPearson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm not sure I would even bother with DMOZ anymore

NeilPearson, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  5. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't bother, besides it is just a site, though yes it is a quality site, but just look around and you'll see more out there.
    I've tried submitting in DMOZ not once but thrice (different sites), and no luck. I accepted it and look into the bright side.

Patricia Ann Lee, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If DMOZ is important to you then you can help it along by becoming an editor. You may not be able to directly influence your listing but
    • you will be able to follow it's progress (or lack of)
    • you will reduce the total number of sites waiting to be reviewed giving your category a better chance of drawing the attention of a editor.
    All to often I see people wanting something from DMOZ but not being prepared to give back. @qdungeng here's your chance to give back.

sarahk, Nov 11, 2015 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  7. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Perhaps if they are unhappy with the service they are being provided with, then they should try and ask for a refund.

Agent000, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Lets not start that again. Most people are upfront and honest. I'm sure if you look at any volunteer organisation you'll find someone clipping the ticket somewhere.

This discussion about how the OP can get a listing reviewed more quickly so lets focus on that.

sarahk, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  9. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Thats NOT what I was implying. I was being facetious in trying to point put that people are paying nothing for the service and are complaining about the service (ie a listing) not being provided.

Agent000, Nov 11, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  10. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is the least of my worries and not important to myself. I don't have time to take on something part time just for a link in return.
    We shouldn't have to give back to DMOZ for a simple listing(make it a paid service and hire editors/find a way to monetize). FB, Twitter or any other site doesn't need their users to help manage their site. It is what it is-an abandoned project.

kjh-08, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Seriously? Show me content on both those platforms that are provided by or moderated by them. They provide the CMS but they don't provide the content.
    With DMOZ they provide the CMS and moderate every single item before it becomes content - and not all content is suggested by the public. When I was editing if I saw a category that needed work I'd go out and find suitable listings if there weren't enough suggestions or if I knew the category would be less credible without them.

That said, the writing has been on the wall for DMOZ for many, many years. If the OP still cares, then good on him/her. It's a shame to see "institutions" become irrelevant.

sarahk, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  12. kjh-08

kjh-08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ isn't providing the content or moderating either. This is a current topic/question by the OP not based on how DMOZ was 10 years ago.

kjh-08, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  13. abdmjz

abdmjz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you should have lot of patience if you want to get approved in DMOZ. Just submit and forget it.. If you are lucky you might get approved. So far i have only succeeded once over the last 5 years.

abdmjz, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  14. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Having been a hardcore Wikipedia editor and DMOZ editor for close to a decade, I can tell you one thing. Those of us still editing, are hard pressed for time. There are way too many spam submissions on DMOZ and some of us just give up every now and then.
    If you've submitted it once, have patience, a LOT of patience. Your website might just get listed after a few years.

To quote, [or modify a quote];
    Ask what you can do for the community and not what the community can do for you.

rsrikanth05, Nov 12, 2015 IP
    sarahk and Agent000 like this.
  15. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Then if you are short of time, why are you wasting it here about a site that you think is redundant and if you want to pay for a listing in a directory Best of the Web still takes paid submissions.

DMOZ has been short of editors for the short time that I have been editing, like 12 years, that will always happen. Editors will always have more to do than they have time to do. We recognize that being an editor is not for everyone, nor do we accept everyone who applies, so there are thousands of sites listed where the owner does nothing towards the project. It is our hobby, we want to do it, no one twists our arm up our back and we spend what time we can manage editing. We do not want anything in return and if someone wants to join they are welcome, if they can pass the tests. When I stop enjoying doing it, I will resign.

But, when we do give our time and expertise, and you know that we are seriously under pressure to keep the directory current, ensuring old links are still up to date and new added, don't complain when your site does not get looked at in the time scale you think is the right one. Shouting at editors on here just puts up your blood pressure and does nothing to get it listed.

Editors are still working hard, new editors are volunteering, new sites are being added, old links and re-directs are being corrected so it is far from being redundant. If you want to help build the wall, one brick at a time, and do the impossible and catalogue the internet, you can request to be an editor on almost every category and page and if you get through the tests, you will have started on a fascinating and fulfilling hobby..

Anonymously, Dec 1, 2015 IP
  16. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Submit and move on. Contrary to popular belief, a link in DMOZ is not the be all and end all.

dcristo, Dec 1, 2015 IP