1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stuck on old version of twitter. Help!

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by Usernamexx, Nov 6, 2015.

Hello, so apparently this is a problem that a lot of people are having. One of my twitter accounts, the main one, is stuck on an old version of twitter. This is on my iPhone, on the official twitter app.

In fact, up until a while ago (maybe a month), all of my accounts that are on the same twitter app had different versions of twitter! Even though I always update the app regularly whenever Apple provides an update in the app store.

Other people have this problem too. You can see by typing into the search on twitter "twitter stuck on different versions" or "twitter different versions", you can view their screen shots as well. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, most of my secondary accounts have stabilized and all seem to be caught up to the latest version now...except for the one I care about, my main account.

It is stuck on a version of twitter that came out earlier this year. The version with the "wide" layout. Wide tweet boxes, wide windows, extra large pictures, and words are under the pictures instead of on top. It looks horrible and is disgusting to use.

I have deleted the app and re-installed it many times. I have even tried wiping my entire phone. However, nothing works! As soon as I download the app to my newly wiped/empty phone, or even just reinstalling it after deleting it, it will be fine for maybe a minute or two. As soon as I minimize the app however, even for a split second, it will suddenly * BLINK * /jump back to the old version. One time it even did it without me even minimizing the app. I was just staring at my timeline and then suddenly BLINK, the images jumped to large size, and the windows/tweets went wide. I wanted to throw my phone at the wall. Nothing works.

I suspect that even if I sign in from another iPhone 6 that this would still occur. It seems that this version of twitter is tied to this account no matter what.

I have been emailing and writing/filling out forms to twitter about this for weeks and they haven't done anything.

It seems that it isn't a problem of having an old app, it's that these changes were part of web updates that they rolled out, and sometimes they would stick for a while (while they were testing it out), then later go away when they didn't want them anymore, and for some of us, they just stayed stuck forever to our accounts.

Any ideas of what to do? I am so beyond frustrated at this point. The only way I can use my account with the new twitter layout is by deleting the profile or app and re-adding it. It will stay in the new version as long as I remember not to minimize the app ever - that means no minimizing to check email, replying to text messages, checking the weather, making a phone calls, using instagram or any other app...I must stay in twitter without minimizing the app ever otherwise it will * blink * go back to the old version. Also, you can't close or lock the phone. Basically any action where you go outside of twitter will prompt it to return to the old version. Needless to say, since I have a life, I can never go more than 10 minutes without minimizing, and then oops, there goes my twitter! Back to the old version. However, Im not sure how long it can stay like that (in the new version) bc this morning I stayed on the new version without minimizing for quite a while, maybe 10 minutes, then suddenly without even minimizing, just in the middle of me scrolling down my tl, it jumped back to the old version. Why does it do this? Why must this old version be linked to my main account? Will we be in the year 2025 and this account still stuck on this May 2015 version of twitter? I really hope not.

Another thing, why doesn't twitter have a legit customer service department? Why don't they have a live chat feature so we can get real time help with real issues? If they acted like a real business and actually took care of their clients then maybe they could actually attract new users and increase revenue. I'm sure all the old people would love to use twitter, but I've seen so many give up because they can't figure it out. People like this would definitely benefit from a live chat feature.

Anyway, back to my original point... does anyone know how to fix my issue?? Please let me know. Thank you so much.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Usernamexx, Nov 6, 2015 IP
  2. Usernamexx

Usernamexx Peon

Best Answers:
    So I have an update! Twitter finally emailed me back.

They told me to delete app cache/data. Sign out of twitter on that profile. Delete the twitter app. Turn off phone for a few minutes, turn back on, and reinstall app.

So, I did this. I used the app called Battery Doctor, which is really good btw. Cleared all the excess data and cache. Signed out of that acc. Deleted the twitter app. I ran Battery Doctor again just to be safe. I turned off my iPhone, waited a few minutes, turned it back on, reinstalled the app, signed back into that acc and....well, the same thing that always happens, happened. It was normal (in the new version of twitter) for a minute or two until I minimized the app to change a playlist in iTunes. My twitter glitched right back to the old version again!! :(

I have emailed them and explained what happened but so far they haven't written me back.. I will update you if they do.

Usernamexx, Nov 7, 2015 IP
  3. Usernamexx

Usernamexx Peon

Best Answers:
    Another update. Received a new email from twitter today. They suggested that since the above solutions didn't work, they think I should go into settings/applications and disable any 3rd party apps. They said that one of these apps could be screwing with my layout (seems unlikely) but I did it just in case. They said leave only the really necessary ones. So I left instagram and vine and some other apps that are from Twitter themselves. Both instagram and vine I have been using for years, so I don't think they have anything to do with my layout change.

There is also a new update for twitter in the app store today. I replied to their email and told them of the apps I disabled and which ones I kept, and asked them how to proceed. (Whether or not to install the new update, disable more 3rd party apps, or delete my own app first, or sign out, etc).

I'll let you know what they say! :)

Usernamexx, Nov 10, 2015 IP
  4. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is really very strange. Can you send a screenshot?

rsrikanth05, Nov 10, 2015 IP
  5. Usernamexx

Usernamexx Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure.. so this is what the old "wide" layout looks like, with everything stretched across, and words (tweets) are under the images, which are extra large:

image1.PNG image3.PNG

Edit: Sorry the images are so small. When I tried to attach a normal sized one this website said it was over the limit so I had to attach small versions :(

6. Usernamexx

Usernamexx Peon

Best Answers:
    And this is what the normal (non-stretched out) layout looks like:

image4.PNG image5.PNG

7. Usernamexx

Usernamexx Peon

Best Answers:
    After months of emailing back and forth, they finally updated my twitter...or released a version that would stick and undo the old layouts/features that were stuck on my iPhone's twitter. Yay! I'm finally up to date.

Usernamexx, Dec 29, 2015 IP