1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Folder named "Con"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KangBroke, Oct 9, 2015.

I am not sure where to throw this so General Chat is what I am going with. I had a folder that was downloaded from a godaddy hosting account, that folder is named "con". Well I didn't think about it at the time and deleted the folder from the godaddy account. The folder now is only on my Windows computer which does not allow folders to be named "con".

I have tried the right-click and rename, I have tried command prompt to move, rename, delete the folder and no luck.

Just curious if anyone out there knows of a way not already mentioned to rename this folder and open it.

KangBroke, Oct 9, 2015 IP
  2. ActiveFrost

ActiveFrost Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Universal Naming Convention is what you are looking for.

ActiveFrost, Oct 25, 2015 IP
  3. siteslikecraigslist

siteslikecraigslist Member

Best Answers:
    We cannot make folders of these names because they are reserved for DOS prompt. But we can create and delete those with the help of DOS.
    Please google "How to delete a folder named "con" in windows...." It also depends on your Operating System (OS)

siteslikecraigslist, Oct 25, 2015 IP
  4. KangBroke

KangBroke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    did either of you read what I posted?

I am aware that you cannot have a folder named "con" that is not the issue, I am not attempting to create one.

"I Downloaded a folder from godaddy hosting, that folder has files in it. Folder is named "con". After downloading the folder "con" with contents inside, godaddy hosting was deleted. Now I cannot open, edit the contents of this folder."

It is not vital to me that I access these files, as they are using mysql and not mysqli so I already began rewriting them.

However I am curious if there are ways to access this folder, It will not allow me to use DOS to rename this folder or copy it.

I cannot use FTP clients to transfer this folder.

KangBroke, Oct 25, 2015 IP
  5. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    99% of DPers DO NOT KNOW HOW to read, so you are expecting the IMPOSSIBLE.

That said, (and yes I read what you wrote about not being able to copy the folder nor use FTP) is it possible to somehow transfer the folder and/or its contents to a non-MSDOS machine? Like maybe transfer its complete parent folder with all of the contents including your "con" folder? If you can get it to a different machine that allows a folder names like that, you should be able to rename it there, then transfer it back to your MSDOS machine. Or maybe transfer the parent folder and all of its contents (which would include your "con" folder) to your GoDaddy account?

mmerlinn, Oct 25, 2015 IP
    KangBroke likes this.
  6. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Another possibility is using a hex editor to edit the file name in your directory tree. If you try that, BE VERY CAREFUL, as you could cause MAJOR problems with your computer. If you rename it that way, the new name MUST be EXACTLY the same length as the old name.

mmerlinn, Oct 25, 2015 IP
  7. KangBroke

KangBroke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Im going to have to try that, Honestly didn't cross my mind. First I'll go the easy route and try moving the parent folder. I no longer have a godaddy hosting, however a current client does. So I can still try that, and try it at the new host as well. And this hex editor idea I have never even heard of. Nothing in the folder is of real importance, just pisses me off when I cannot figure something out.

KangBroke, Oct 25, 2015 IP
  8. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    I created a "con" folder on my GoDaddy account then tried to move it to my Windoz machine. It would not move. I got the error "Failed to create directory '/con' locally. " Now I wonder if you even downloaded it.

mmerlinn, Oct 26, 2015 IP
  9. KangBroke

KangBroke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    how would you like me to prove it? Make a fast video of me opening a folder and showing you? It was created before the godaddy updates, that could be why. But I can assure you that I have no reason to make this up. The folder was created likely around 2011-2012 on a godaddy shared hosting account. I just recently backed up the entire contents of the host before deleting the account.

Again the folder has no importance to me, I was just curious because it is bugging me that I have a folder that I cannot mess with.

http:// bit.ly/ 1OQwUOR

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    KangBroke, Oct 26, 2015 IP
  10. KangBroke

KangBroke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I edited my previous post with a link to a video I just made showing you the folder.

11. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Don't need proof. I raised the question because I was not able to duplicate your actions.

I wanted to see if I could create a 'con' folder on GoDaddy, move the folder to Windoz, make sure I could not access the folder, move it back to GoDaddy via the parent folder, change the name, then move it back to Windoz just to see if I could get my idea to work. When that failed, the obvious question would be whether it failed to download when you originally tried downloading it.

12. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    I have no way to watch videos.

13. KangBroke

KangBroke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well I tried to provide video proof. Yes I used Filezilla and no errors in the download of my files. Just cannot do anything with it now that its here.

I still have yet to try your original ideas, mainly because its not too important to me. But I will try sometime later today and let you know if it allows me to do any of the above mentioned ideas.

lapensee likes this.